Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Drivin' Battlesuit and (un)related questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: Hell on Earth & Lost Colony
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wendigo1870
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:29 pm    Post subject: Drivin' Battlesuit and (un)related questions Reply with quote

Hi, long time since I've been on the forum.

Me and my players had some questions;
first one about battlesuits.

According to the Denver Sourcebook certain suits need a certain level of Drivin': Battlesuit. Now my player with battlesuit asked when he should actually roll the skill. Since regular Drivin' takes up the first of a PC's actions in a round, he thought he'd have to roll for this and give up his first action card. I didn't really think that was appropriate - but it did spark the question - when do you need to roll.
Also, in the book there's talk about a Cannister - a portable cold-fusion reactor. But nowhere in the book does it say how much it costs or how much energy it provides, ...

Then, on an unrelated note - should a Junker device that's also a vehicle be treated as a vehicle - suffering damage on locations and potentially getting critical hits? (Since this isn't standard for other devices, my player argued against this because "it's a device, not a vehicle").
Fuzyfeet
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drivin':
I'd say that they need to make some movement or other physical action rolls that you would use the Drivin': Battlesuit with the appropriate Trait (i.e.: A jumpin' roll would be Drivin': Battlesuit using the Nimbleness die type)

Cannister:
I just searched my copy of the Accumulated Rules and couldn't find it, but I know that when I asked about the canister that someone (I think it was Hoppler) said that they did not include a price because it wasn't something that they thought a play should be able to buy so much as get as a reward in game. As for how much energy it provides: "A canister can produce an unlimited amount of power, and each port can supply a battlesuit 30 units of power per minute."

Junker vehicles:
As I see it, a junker car is a car that is held together by a tech spirit. So it would take damage like a car.

Just my $0.02

My Deadlands sites
The Lynchburg Journal
The Junkyard Intranet
The Temptation Reportl
ScooterinAB
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep in mind that Drivin' is normally only rolled when you are doing a maneuver or when you are trying something equally impressive. Just like how you wouldn't make a character roll Drivin' to start his car, I wouldn't make a player roll Drivin': Battlesuit to walk forward. Only when they start trying to do Swan Lake, or need to not fall off the side of a mountain during combat.

As for vehicle damage, this is where that proof of concept business comes in, Every junker must, for every device, submit a concept to the Marshal for approval. Just like how you declare that a small Flash Gordon device uses Shootin': Pistol, you declare that this device is a vehicle. Thus, it is a vehicle with all of the perks and hangups.

If he gets uppity, let it not take damage as a vehicle, but declare that he cannot use Drivin' Maneuvers, and that any vehicle like use of the device will produce undue wear and tear on the device (like a Robot giving you a piggyback ride. It's just not built to be doing that).

At the end of the day, you are the Marshal. Your decision on how you manage the game is yours, and not the players', to decide.
Wendigo1870
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay guys, thanks for the info!
Teller
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as canisters go, no price was listed because in the post-apoc world, they are literally priceless.
Hope that helps.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: Hell on Earth & Lost Colony All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: