Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Falling

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Merlin_Sylver
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:51 pm    Post subject: Falling Reply with quote

I've seen a number of rule regarding falling damage, how much damage per paces fell, and even ways of ablating falling damage, but in no source can I find a rule that cites how fast, in game paces. free fall is.

Let's say a Supers type PC leaps out of a high flying plane.... just how long does it take to get to the ground?

Please forgive me if this rule is addressed plainly somewhere, and I simply missed it.
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's really just a matter of converting free fall speed to inches per round. The tricky part is that free fall speed can vary quite a bit depending on the person's position.

A standard parachutist would probably hit around 180" per round, but if specifically trying to go faster, they could accelerate up to nearly 300" per turn (some even faster with the right gear and talent).

Really though, I think the fall should just take as long as is dramatically appropriate most of the time. Wink

Hope that helps, and maybe someone else can provide more info.

www.peginc.com
Merlin_Sylver
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, that gives me the numbers I can run with. Thanks!
The GIT!
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clint wrote:
Really though, I think the fall should just take as long as is dramatically appropriate most of the time. Wink

Well that's how I tend to figure it. I recently had a scenario in which a person was thrown off one of the towers of Notre Dame Cathedral and one of the PCs (with the Telekinesis power) had to run to get in range and roll to see if he could "catch" the person before he hit the ground. The issue wasn't about whether he got in range in time (I'd already decided he would but he didn't know that); it was more about about whether he'd roll high enough to use his Telekinesis to save the victim. Needless to say a lot of bennies were used Twisted Evil
Merlin_Sylver
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beleive it or not, falling time has been an issue in no less then three of my sessions within the past year. Once it was because the PC was falling from orbit through an atmosphere of toxic fumes, and the question was would he make it to the ground in time to not asphyxiate on the fumes? The other situations were similar in that they were unique and that falling rate was key to how it worked out.

Anyway... I've been just winging it, which is basically what you're telling me I should do. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking an obvious rule somewhere.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: