Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rippers UI suggestions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Facebook Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigO
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:35 pm    Post subject: Rippers UI suggestions Reply with quote

I've been very much enjoying Rippers on Facebook. I played the D&D Tiny Adventures on Facebook and was very disappointed with it, but Rippers holds up great!

I want to pass along my suggestions to the devs for ways to improve the User Interface of the game to make life easier for us players. I list them in no particular order:

1) On the Buy/Sell page where you can send stuff to your friends. There is an asterisk beside your friends who play rippers which is nice, but I have a LOT of friends on Facebook, and 95% of the time that I'm sending a gift to someone, it's to one of my existing allies. Please sort this list so that the friends with Asterisks are at the TOP of the list.

2) Vertical Scrolling. Im sure this is much complained about, and it's a tough nut to crack because of the bounds that facebook puts you in, but in nearly every battle im in, I have to scroll down to click the action button. This gets VERY tedious after level 40 where there's only one quest available at a time, and you're very familiar with the text. I would suggest placing all the action buttons at the very top of that screen so you only have to scroll down if you actually need to read stuff.

3) Navigation is tedious. You are often two clicks away from where you want to get to, and if there are performance issues (which is a different issue, but a regular one) then that extra click can take way too long to load up. A simple way to fix this would be with drop down menus! For example, if you mouse over "Lodge" you would see three sub-links: one for "manage prestige" one for "Lodge Upgrades", and one for "help". This would improve the user experience as well as reduce server load.

4) Shorten your header. This relates to the vertical scrolling woes. There is quite a bit of dead space at the top where the logos are. A slightly different design could tighten that up quite a bit and reduce a lot of the vertical scrolling issues.

5) Unneeded drops. This issue becomes another problem after lvl 40 where you only have one quest. You tend to get the same item drop over and over and over again. And this can fill up your inventory without you even noticing it. I cringe when i see the "your inventory is full" notice, wondering what I might have missed! Instead, I'd like to see a system where if you get a drop and your inventory is full, you have a chance to see what dropped and be able to either not pick it up, or go through your inventory and discard something to replace with the new item.

6) Prestige Count. I tend to miss it when I get a prestige point during combat, and will later be surprised to find that I have enough to buy that upgrade I'd been waiting for. Please put a count of prestige points on the left side bar along with the other stats

7) Ajaxify. I realize this might be pie in the sky, and you might have facebook related constraints, but I see that you're already using ajax in some places, if you were to increase the use of it you could reduce the number of page refreshes considerably, which will make a huge difference for user performance. For example, when you drag an item from the store and click "trade" that would be a great place to save a page refresh using ajax. Also, the entire battle section!

That's all for now. I'll add other suggestions as I think of them, and everyone else feel free to post your suggestions here too!
Nick Zachariasen
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigO wrote:
1) On the Buy/Sell page where you can send stuff to your friends. There is an asterisk beside your friends who play rippers which is nice, but I have a LOT of friends on Facebook, and 95% of the time that I'm sending a gift to someone, it's to one of my existing allies. Please sort this list so that the friends with Asterisks are at the TOP of the list.

At least handle it like Farmville where you can click to show just your friends who have the application. After all, they want us inviting more people to play!
Quote:
2) Vertical Scrolling. Im sure this is much complained about, and it's a tough nut to crack because of the bounds that facebook puts you in, but in nearly every battle im in, I have to scroll down to click the action button. This gets VERY tedious after level 40 where there's only one quest available at a time, and you're very familiar with the text. I would suggest placing all the action buttons at the very top of that screen so you only have to scroll down if you actually need to read stuff.

4) Shorten your header. This relates to the vertical scrolling woes. There is quite a bit of dead space at the top where the logos are. A slightly different design could tighten that up quite a bit and reduce a lot of the vertical scrolling issues.

Again, agreed, though I'm not sure how much smaller the header can be while still looking good. One thing I know could go is the "Active combatant" and "Second combatant" labels. Do they really say anything worth taking up space with? The space between the top text area and the combatant names can definitely be tightened up, though, as that's something like 50 or 60 pixels. Similarly, between the Health bars and the Escape and Fight! buttons is also pretty far apartó much more than I'd think necessary.
Quote:
3) Navigation is tedious. You are often two clicks away from where you want to get to, and if there are performance issues (which is a different issue, but a regular one) then that extra click can take way too long to load up. A simple way to fix this would be with drop down menus! For example, if you mouse over "Lodge" you would see three sub-links: one for "manage prestige" one for "Lodge Upgrades", and one for "help". This would improve the user experience as well as reduce server load.

Oh, yes. In combat, if there are three pages of pure flavor text, please just consolidate them into one. There's no need to make someone click tediously through a story they're not going to bother reading after the first time.
Quote:
5) Unneeded drops. This issue becomes another problem after lvl 40 where you only have one quest. You tend to get the same item drop over and over and over again. And this can fill up your inventory without you even noticing it. I cringe when i see the "your inventory is full" notice, wondering what I might have missed! Instead, I'd like to see a system where if you get a drop and your inventory is full, you have a chance to see what dropped and be able to either not pick it up, or go through your inventory and discard something to replace with the new item.

Ugh, this too. I thought I'd bought something I wanted to get, but only after the store has reloaded itself did I notice the item hadn't showed up in my inventory. Why? It was full, apparently! It may also be a bug, as my inventory was full, but I was just buying more of something I already had. Still, I'd greatly appreciate something like this, both in the store and in combat.
Quote:
6) Prestige Count. I tend to miss it when I get a prestige point during combat, and will later be surprised to find that I have enough to buy that upgrade I'd been waiting for. Please put a count of prestige points on the left side bar along with the other stats

Finally, I also agree completely with this. If you're worried about screen real estate, you could try to combine the money and Prestige in the same line.
RobitusinZ
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you use Firefox, you can use Ctrl+Mouse Wheel to zoom in and out of the pages you're on. I've found that zooming out just a bit is a huge help not only in this game, but in almost all of the others I play as well. Once I figured this out, my web-browsing has been a lot smoother.
Primesupreme
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't mind the flavor text not getting in my way when I try to make some rippertech. I end up having to fight the game in order to pick up an ingredient
zarlor
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd also like to suggest that we be given an alternative method for slotting and removing gear and allies. I occasionally find myself trying to play using my iPhone, but mobile Safari doesn't seem to have a way for me to do the drag and drop with the icons. Perhaps a double-tap in starting and ending location, or something, instead of just drag and drop.
brandigrrrl
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A number/counter on the item to be "gifted" to friends slot would be great.

I know I often buy masses of rare ingredients when they come up and give them to friends for their research, or buy a couple of a weapon if someone needs it. Especially when gifting 10 sinners spines, 20 spites, or whatever, it's pretty tedious to give/ receive one at a time. This would probably be a really simple fix.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Facebook Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: