Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[HoE] Devil's Tower

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: Hell on Earth & Lost Colony
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Edivdrone
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:32 pm    Post subject: [HoE] Devil's Tower Reply with quote

OK, I am looking for some clarification. I have been patiently waiting to send my posse back to HoE until information detailing Devil's Tower is released, as was promised in the back of the Unity adventure. Of particular concern is a potential for conflict in concepts. Devil's Tower is within the borders of the Sioux Nation. In HoE, the Sioux Nation is a no tech zone. This would conflict with a few other concepts, notably the plot involving Jackie Wells in Fortress o' Fear, and the statement that a Ghost Rock City Buster got dropped on the landmark, reducing the top to rubble, and mutating the alien half-breeds, and covering the portal in debris, as revealed in the back of the Unity adventure. (which thoughts also disagree....) Any opinions as far as how to handle the Devil's Tower, and/or an official ruling would be greatly appreciated.
Teller
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny how I was just discussing this with Cutter last night. I'm sure someone will address this conundrum in HoERL. Mr. Green
Zeb Rowe
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This can hardly be called 'official' or anything (and will likely be discounted out of hand by most), but I offer a possible explanation:

The Manitou pulled a bit of a fast one on the wicasas during The Great Summoning. Who's to say that at least some of the great ancient spirits that were petitioned during the ritual weren't in fact Manitou themselves? Or elemental spirits tainted by the Manitou? These spirits might have slipped a backdoor clause into the pact, along the lines of "No technology, whether inspired by manitou or tech spirit, shall operate in the Sioux Nation (Except for GR Bombs. Those are golden.)".

By the time the big dance finally came, everyone knew about the Sioux's no-tech rule, so not too many folks bothered targeting the Sioux Nation; only the one bomb was lobbed at the alien fortress, maybe by the Agency, or China, or maybe Hellstromme used one of his own hidden pet nukes. Essentially, someone who knew about the presence of the hybrids could have tried. By the time the BDA's came back and said "Hey! Nukes work in the Sioux Nations!", the party was pretty much over.

So the lucky Sioux only get the one bomb, continuity is protected, and they're still all like 'WTF, kemosabe?' But the Burned Man will come and they'll be dead soon.

How's that?

"...so I unwrap my brand new City O' Gloom box, and right there on the inside of the box bottom, I find the word "Die!!" handwritten in nice big friendly letters..."

What did I ever do to you guys?
Edivdrone
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some good thoughts Zeb, but the no tech would still interfere with the junker enclave that is supposed to be there in the Fortress o' Fear set. There are still problems...
ScooterinAB
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's possible that some sort of anololy occurred to make Devil's Tower similar to Deadwood (Tech ok here, but nowhere else).

As for the bomb, I think the place is a deadland anyways, so whether or not it was hit by a bomb is fairly moot.

As a side note, we could always pull a marvel and say that Jackie's future is a alternate reality where the "no tech" rule doesn't apply, and the Sioux (or someone else) in the regular reality did their hebe-jeebie in order to prevent such a thing from happening. It's a strech, but people seem to buy it in comics all the time.
Edivdrone
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Except that the FoF set was supposed to be a means by which a posse could move into the HoE setting. So that argument doesn't work either. I have given this a bit of thought. There is no real clear way to resolve all the points with out saying that the area right around the DT bothers the nature spirits, which doesn't make a lot of sense. Particularly if the posse stops Stone's plan for the HoD, which would mean no deadland unless the halfbreeds raised enough of a fuss to make one.
Teller
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be that the emanations out of the portal creates a bubble large enough to encompass the Devils Tower to drive away the spirits brought into being by the Great Summoning that created the anti-tech zone. Unfortunately, while this allowed tech to work there, it also allowed a G-R bomb to go off on top of it.

Last edited by Teller on Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
Cutter XXIII
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edivdrone wrote:
There is no real clear way to resolve all the points...

Have faith. I believe Teller's imagination is up to the task. Smile
Edivdrone
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YAY!!! Thanks for the hope, guys! Very Happy
Snap_Dragon
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the thing about the great summoning is that is said it created an area within the Sioux territories in which technology did not work, not that the whole area is a no technology zone.
balder1718
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edivdrone is right, though, in saying that this information was promised at the end of The Unity. It was supposed to be in The Epitaph #4, however, I can't find it anywhere in that issue.

Do you guys know, is it there, or any other publication you know of?

=0)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: Hell on Earth & Lost Colony All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: