Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Modifying Fields of Honor: World War Two

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Other Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Egil
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:09 pm    Post subject: Modifying Fields of Honor: World War Two Reply with quote

tylermo wrote:
"Not in this format." Hmmm. Maybe in an actual board game for sale format? I have yet to pick up FOH, but have been tempted. Just wasn't sure how good the game was, or if it would be too expensive to print it out. Color and black and white cartridges for my printer are about 43-46.00 Should've known if Shane had anything to do with it, it had to be good. Equil, what else can you say about your experience with the game? Thanks.

Hi Tylermo,

I have to dash off to work now, so I'll respond when I get home tonight Smile
Egil
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tylermo wrote:
"Not in this format." Hmmm. Maybe in an actual board game for sale format? I have yet to pick up FOH, but have been tempted. Just wasn't sure how good the game was, or if it would be too expensive to print it out. Color and black and white cartridges for my printer are about 43-46.00 Should've known if Shane had anything to do with it, it had to be good. Equil, what else can you say about your experience with the game? Thanks.

Hi Tylermo,

Like you, I baulked at the cost of printing out the flats and terrain; however they are still way cheaper than miniatures. My suggeston would be to modify the scales and ranges to fit in with an existing game, budget or space limitations. My issue is that my Games Room has been turned into a Rumpus Room for the kids, so I need to remove my game at the end of the night or risk catastrophe! Laughing

I am lucky enough to have a complete collection of the Memoir 44 games (see www.memoir44.com ) So I created my own map using some Memoir 44 breakthrough maps from the Campaign Bag expansion. I originally created an AO sized map and then went to the local Xerox shop to print it out. But when they wanted to charge me $100 to print one A0 map in colour, the Breakthrough maps suddenly looked very good! The breakthrough map hexes are at a perfect size to accommodate the 40mm x 30mm 3mm plywood bases which I purchased from Litko. They also allowed me to use the Memoir 44 terrain tiles.

One the 40mm x 30mm bases I took the current flats and using Irfanview, I increased the image to 300 DPI and shrunk it down. I then added an appropriate flag and symbol so at a glance a player can tell which company a unit belongs to. Also each base has a unit description (i.e. "Veteran Infantry"). Infantry units use the 40mm edge as their front, while vehicles and guns use the 30mm edge as their front. The front (importantr for armoured vehicles) is the edge with the Flag and unit ID. I then made up generic Infantry and Armour companies with all the options and printed them out on my HP All-in-One Printer.

Also, as an experiment, I created a blank hex map using a hexdraw program and then carefully cutting and sticking the A4 sheets together to form a larger map. The map can then be coloured in a patchwork fashion by holding 3 pencils taped together to represent the patchwork of open fields. Another alternative is to photoshop a hex and then make your map from that, or use a commercial program like Hexdraw or Adobe Illustrator if you are keen. Once again I'd suggestion stick to what you already have, or what's in your budget.

The reason changed to using hexes was simply because I already had the maps. Fields of Honor: World War II is quite an adaptable system, and changing the scale of 1 hex = 2 inches simplified movement, ranged combat and flank/rear attacks. It also meant a smaller playing area, which was important for me.

The 40mm x 30mm bases allowed me to paste on the backs of each base a country specific Tank (to represent tracked vehicles), or Truck (to represent wheeled vehicles) or Infantryman (to represent Leg infantry and Guns). These siholuettes I got from installing the World War Two Truetype font. I was quite please with the result! I thought the Germans looked scary because every unspotted tracked vehicle uses a Tiger Tank silohuette, but in fact the American's are truly frightening because they have so many M3 Halftracks, which unspotted, look like a horde of Shermans!

Other than making the counters and changing the ranges to match the hexes, all the rules remain the same. Fields of Honor: World War II is so easy that my 8 year old daughter can play it with me, and yet it has enough 'chrome' for my Grognard mates, who love doing ambushes and flank attacks. The game also has a fairly detailed (but simple) campaign system and very good for multiplayer battles).

In summary, the beauty of Fields of Honor: World War II is its simple, but elegant mechanics. After one gaem, you wont need the rulebook again! It is also one of the few World War II miniature games that does not suffer from 'Tiger Syndrome' i.e. the Germans basically being unbeatable in 1944 due to technically oriented point buy systems or unrealistic OB's.

Download it you won't be disappointed Smile

If you want to see pictures of what I've done, I'd be happy to post them here (depending on the forum restrictions).
tylermo
Heroic

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. I'd like to see them. I'd probably have to print my game out on regular card stock paper, if I purchase it. I've got bills, two conventions, and other expenses presently, so it'll have to wait. But, I'll be checking it out sooner than later. I've got my eye on the new Axis and Allies set for October. It seems like creator, Larry Harris has been inspired by the A&A fan guy who made The World War II Game(?) I think that's the name. It's huge. The A&A won't be as big, but the price will be only 25.00 cheaper than the fan game. Torn on which to buy, or both. One is 125.00, the other is 100.00 hehe
tylermo
Heroic

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there any pics of printed game images for Fields of Honor WWII? I'd love to get an idea of what to expect looks-wise.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Other Releases All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: