Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

AB (Templar) and AB (Witch)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: Hell on Earth & Lost Colony
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would you let a character have both AB: Witch and AB: Templar?
Yes
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
No
92%
 92%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 13

Evangelos
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:38 pm    Post subject: AB (Templar) and AB (Witch) Reply with quote

I know that generally, the various Arcane Backgrounds don't mix (with a few notable exceptions, like Junker/Huckster). But, if someone wanted to play the specific combination of Witch/Templar (perhaps with one of those obtained in-game)...would you let them? Why or why not?
Fuzyfeet
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm cannot vote yes or no, because I've allowed a Voodoo/Templar in a game. I'm of the mind that the right player with a really good character background, and I'd be open to at least thinking about it. It's all about what a player can handle, and whither they are min/maxing it or really making a good character.

Just my $0.02

My Deadlands sites
The Lynchburg Journal
The Junkyard Intranet
The Temptation Reportl
VonDan
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My one HOE game I played in lasted one summer untill the GM and his Room mates started school. I played a Syker Biker and was courted by both the templars and Doomsayers and would have added one or the other if the game had gone on. The player who was a templar found out she had a half sister who was a witch and she had the ability for that power too but if she used it, it conflicted with her templar power like adding dark side points to a jedi
Targetlock
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

only if they could come up with a good background for it Wink
Edivdrone
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about anti-Templar? The power comes from the same source after all, and if the character goes corrupt (which seems very likely if tempted with opportunities to increase the power of their spells), it gives the Marshall a nasty, nasty weapon, who would instead use black magic rules for invocation of spells...
ScooterinAB
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the No boat. A character should only have one AB. If not for game balance (not that witches are that tough), but the fact that you are dealing with the Hunting Grounds. Various books mention that you can only channel the Hunting grounds one way, and that once that "path" is set, you can't change it. There ar4e some exceptions, but Templars and Witches are too different.

Also, a Templar's Oaths might prevent him or her from learning Witch powers. How to Serve Your Man is not an essential piece of survival equipment, and a Templar isn't likely to be toting a copy around (Oath of Poverty).
Evangelos
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScooterinAB wrote:
I'm in the No boat. A character should only have one AB. If not for game balance (not that witches are that tough), but the fact that you are dealing with the Hunting Grounds. Various books mention that you can only channel the Hunting grounds one way, and that once that "path" is set, you can't change it. There ar4e some exceptions, but Templars and Witches are too different.

Also, a Templar's Oaths might prevent him or her from learning Witch powers. How to Serve Your Man is not an essential piece of survival equipment, and a Templar isn't likely to be toting a copy around (Oath of Poverty).

It might not be essential, but doesn't really strike me as a problem, either. As I understand it, the Oath of Poverty only really means that the Templar shouldn't go out of his way to quest for loot. They should get everything they need to survive -- which can be quite a few things given the state of the world -- but they don't necessarily have to completely give up what they do find. They've got to trade something for ammo, after all.
ScooterinAB
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But what is does mean is that a Templar is not likely to be carrying any trickets or unnecessary gear. Unless the Templar has a reason to be rotting through the book (which I find hard to believe to begin with), they aren't likely to hang onto it for long. Even as trade, unless someone you know is looking for it, it's a rather odd item to hang onto "just in case".

Not to say that it can happen (anything can happen in Deadlands). It's just unlikely, and a bit of a cop out to get some free mojo.
Evangelos
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScooterinAB wrote:
But what is does mean is that a Templar is not likely to be carrying any trickets or unnecessary gear. Unless the Templar has a reason to be rotting through the book (which I find hard to believe to begin with), they aren't likely to hang onto it for long. Even as trade, unless someone you know is looking for it, it's a rather odd item to hang onto "just in case".

Not to say that it can happen (anything can happen in Deadlands). It's just unlikely, and a bit of a cop out to get some free mojo.

Oh, I wasn't trying to say that the Templar would keep the book AND learn the stuff in it. I'm just saying that they wouldn't necessarily have to rush to get rid of the book (or many similar items) the minute they picked it up.

Maybe they need cooking advice? Very Happy
ScooterinAB
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evangelos wrote:

What kind of Templar worth their salt would need cooking advice when they can just use the Manna reward Razz
Noshrok Grimskull
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evangelos wrote:

... and start reading "How To Serve Your Man"? Surprised

"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes 'ding' when there's stuff." - The Doctor (Doctor Who)
Evangelos
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScooterinAB wrote:
Evangelos wrote:

What kind of Templar worth their salt would need cooking advice when they can just use the Manna reward Razz

One who opted for combat powers instead? Smile
Evangelos
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noshrok Grimskull wrote:
Evangelos wrote:

...sure, why not?

I mean, this is the apocalypse. It's not like the perfect cookbook is just lying around...well, maybe it is, but not in a place you can get to it.
Fuzyfeet
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noshrok Grimskull wrote:

Wander if the Grand Library would have a copy? For that matter, what about Hoyle's Book of Games?

Just my $0.02

My Deadlands sites
The Lynchburg Journal
The Junkyard Intranet
The Temptation Reportl
Noshrok Grimskull
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say they have Hoyle's Book.
Not necessarily under the original name or even the original author, but some copy of the book sure found its way there. If said book is of any use to a Huckster is another question altogether.

"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes 'ding' when there's stuff." - The Doctor (Doctor Who)
Evangelos
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would probably just be easier to find a huckster to learn from, since the arcane stuff isn't quite as verboten it was back in the day. All the editing over the last two centuries has almost certainly destroyed any useful formulas, anyway.
ScooterinAB
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evangelos wrote:
It would probably just be easier to find a huckster to learn from, since the arcane stuff isn't quite as verboten it was back in the day. All the editing over the last two centuries has almost certainly destroyed any useful formulas, anyway.

I was having this conversation with a player the other day. I decided (as Marshal) that I would just add a zero onto the end of the cost for a Hoyle's book for a Hell on Earth character. I also mentioned that the only way for him to get a useable book is to use one from Weird West (and the x10 cost I mentioned), for the reasons of editing and junk. Being a Huckster in Hell on Earth is a bit tough.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: Hell on Earth & Lost Colony All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: