Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Healing Power for Witches

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: Hell on Earth & Lost Colony
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Evangelos
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:31 am    Post subject: New Healing Power for Witches Reply with quote

So in our HOE game, I'm playing a witch. Given that witches don't really have many powers in the book, and that many of the other witch powers I've found aren't so useful, I've been designing some of my own witch pacts and powers (many times ripping off huckster hexes and altering them to some degree).

Anyway, I was thinking that it might be cool to have an emergency quick-healing power. Witches seem to do healing pretty well, given the power of Healing Poultice. I know that Deadlands doesn't have many quick-heals, and Witches in particular don't have a lot of limiters on their power besides finding the components. Basically, I'm looking for suggestions on how to make this work but not be broken.

Flavor-wise, I imagined this spell using some of the wounded person's spirit energy to heal flesh.

Mechanics-wise, I thought that maybe it could be something like this:

(Power Name)
TN: 5
Speed: 1 (or maybe 2)
Range: ? (Touch, or fairly short [1 yard/Witchcraft level])
Components: ? (Something associated with healing)
Scroungin': ? (probably 7+)
Effect: Instantly heals any 3 wounds (same location or spread out, it doesn't matter). Every wound healed reduces the subject's maximum Wind by 2 (but does not do any actual Wind damage, so wounded targets cannot have their wounds healed but collapse from Wind damage with this spell), which is only recovered at the rate of 1 per day, or 2 per day with a successful Hard (9) Spirit roll. This wind reduction can't be negated with fate chips. Maiming wounds cannot be healed with this spell.

Each raise on the Witchcraft roll can heal one extra wound or reduce the Wind reduction suffered by the target by one. Raises can be assigned to one or the other individually; with two raises, four wounds could be healed and the Wind reduction reduced from 8 to 7.

(Power name) works only on living targets. Harrowed are unaffected.

There are basically two limiting factors here: the rarity of the components and the wind damage dealt. I'm thinking that, given the fact that the Wind damage could quickly add up (losing 6+ Wind for days can be a pretty big deal, even if you have 20+), the components don't necessarily need to be super rare, though not necessarily super common either.

Healing Poultice must remain the preferred out of combat solution. I think that the lasting Wind damage does that well enough unless you happen to be in some critical situation and have no Healing Poultices ready to go.

Speaking of which, rereading Healing Poultice -- it has no Speed listed for application. Regardless, it's probably a safe assumption that you'd need to get through the wounded person's clothes and such, so using a Healing Poultice in combat might be tricky, even nearly impossible.

Anybody have any thoughts?
Edivdrone
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest instead a healing potion, which would take a fairly substantial amount of time to brew (hours to days), but only takes an action (and perhaps a Vigor roll if you want it to taste vile) to get the concoction down.
Dragon_Paragon
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not terribly familiar with HoE, but it looks like this one here does the trick. The wind can be a huge setback, especially if the healee is one of those glass-jawed types that ends up with only 14 or 16 wind. All in all, I think it works pretty all right-I'd bump the TN for casting up to a 7 and keep the Scroungin' TN at Onerous.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: Hell on Earth & Lost Colony All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: