Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Height advantage

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crimsontree
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:40 am    Post subject: Height advantage Reply with quote

I ran a test combat last night with a mate. His goblin jumped up on a large boulder & attacked my orc from above. Unfortunately we couldn't find any info on any pluses for height advantage in combat.

Anyone have any ideas?
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's in there, but it's a bit tricky. It requires thinking backwards and three dimensionally at the same time.

First the backwards, heighth isn't a bonus so much as the negation of a potential penalty, in this case Cover modifiers to attack. An attacker with the heighth advantage isn't going to be hindered by horizontal-based cover.

That's also the three dimensional part. The GM has to consider Cover from the different angles of attack. A character standing on a large boulder is probably going to be provided Cover by the boulder from an attacker below the boulder who has to attack past it.

So it's not so much that the goblin in the example above would have a "bonus" to attack the orc, but that the orc would typically suffer a Cover penalty to attack the goblin on top of the boulder.

Hope that makes sense, and I haven't confused things.

www.peginc.com
Sitting Duck
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that particular instance, it could be argued that the goblin has The Drop (described on page 68 of the Core Book) on the orc, which gives a bonus to both the attacker's skill and damage rolls. Or the orc could effectively be considered Prone (described on page 70) and unable to rise for this particular attack, which penalizes the defender's Parry and Fighting rolls.
crimsontree
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clint wrote:
It's in there, but it's a bit tricky. It requires thinking backwards and three dimensionally at the same time.

First the backwards, heighth isn't a bonus so much as the negation of a potential penalty, in this case Cover modifiers to attack. An attacker with the heighth advantage isn't going to be hindered by horizontal-based cover.

That's also the three dimensional part. The GM has to consider Cover from the different angles of attack. A character standing on a large boulder is probably going to be provided Cover by the boulder from an attacker below the boulder who has to attack past it.

So it's not so much that the goblin in the example above would have a "bonus" to attack the orc, but that the orc would typically suffer a Cover penalty to attack the goblin on top of the boulder.

Hope that makes sense, and I haven't confused things.

That is roughly how we fudged/ruled on it last night. Thanks for the detailed response.
crimsontree
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sitting Duck wrote:
In that particular instance, it could be argued that the goblin has The Drop (described on page 68 of the Core Book) on the orc, which gives a bonus to both the attacker's skill and damage rolls. Or the orc could effectively be considered Prone (described on page 70) and unable to rise for this particular attack, which penalizes the defender's Parry and Fighting rolls.

I like The Drop idea & it would apply if the orc was unaware of the attack. Thanks for the quick reply.
Lord Lance
Heroic

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And, of course, you could rule that "jumped up on a large boulder & attacked my orc from above" is surely a wild attack, so +2 attack, +2 damage, -2 parry. Mr. Green

Here no new rules, but a visually nicely described action: if you liked that manoeuvre, you could give the player an extra benny to reward the cool scene description.
#gunbattle
Magnus
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Lance wrote:
And, of course, you could rule that "jumped up on a large boulder & attacked my orc from above" is surely a wild attack, so +2 attack, +2 damage, -2 parry. Mr. Green

Here no new rules, but a visually nicely described action: if you liked that manoeuvre, you could give the player an extra benny to reward the cool scene description.
#gunbattle

I accept Clint's answer as canon, but I like your's better, Lance. Benny award to the goblin and possible Wild Attack bonuses.
Adam Baulderstone
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Lance wrote:

#gunbattle

That combines well with Clint's answer. You can make the Wild Attack for a bonus and the parry penalty will be negated by the cover bonus.
Magnus
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam Baulderstone wrote:
Lord Lance wrote:

#gunbattle

That combines well with Clint's answer. You can make the Wild Attack for a bonus and the parry penalty will be negated by the cover bonus.

Hurray for compromises Smile
Noshrok Grimskull
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I guess I just would've used the rule for prone opponents (page 70 SWEX), with the target just not being able to "stand up".
I use the same rule when conducting combat between mounted troops and infantry.

"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes 'ding' when there's stuff." - The Doctor (Doctor Who)
Lord Inar
Heroic

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I myself like a slightly tiered approach.

About 1/3 higher: +1 Parry.
About 2/3 higher: +2 Parry, -1 Fighting (harder to reach down). Very good for holding off attackers, but less so for taking them out.
Any higher and they can't hit each other.
Reach allows the height difference to be greater, but the effect is the same as 2/3.

My take anyway.
Best Internet page ever
Vorpal
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used this the other night. A foot soldier was attempting to attack a mounted knight. I assigned the foot soldier a -2 penalty to hit the mounted dude.
Lord Karick
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the best suggestion I've seen around. What about increasing Intimidate and reducing the Ganging Up penalty as well? To my mind, this does seem to be a glaring hole in the otherwise excellent SW rules.

Lord Inar wrote:
I myself like a slightly tiered approach.

About 1/3 higher: +1 Parry.
About 2/3 higher: +2 Parry, -1 Fighting (harder to reach down). Very good for holding off attackers, but less so for taking them out.
Any higher and they can't hit each other.
Reach allows the height difference to be greater, but the effect is the same as 2/3.

My take anyway.
steelbrok
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or even thinking the other way, give the mounted knight a gang up bonus based on his horse (assuming a trained warhorse
Takeda
Heroic

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Typically in the games we play the higher-position has a circumstantial bonus based on the system ... usually +1 attack (or +5 in a percential system). Everybody wanted the higher ground in the medieval period of warfare for a reason ... many reasons in fact:

• Better view of the surrounding territory.
  • Better range with projectile/thrown weapons.
  • Defenders can roll/pour defensive weapons on their attackers.
  • Your enemy has to run up-hill to attack costing them a lot of their energy and likely arriving at your position somewhat fatigued.
  • Ranged attacks against you have effectively shorter range as they have to be fired further uphill and must overcome more drag/gravity.
  • Any fortification makes use of all these advantages.

Sam: "Dude, you're not gonna poke her with a stick?"
Supernatural Quotes
marshal kt
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the top attacker is behind part of the boulder, I'd rule he has cover, but so does the bottom attacker. Both have to swing around it.

The point of attacker from above is, it gives you a better chance to hit the head or shoulders & torso than hitting from below.
Hitting from below is a great way to cut out the targets legs.

Since SW doesn't have hit locations, like other games do, you can't get a bonus to hit one area vesus another.

Also from swinging down, you use larger muscle groups and can do more damage. The converse is thus true also. Swinging up, you lose some strength; especially in a protracted engagement.

The spiraling of stiars was designed to save space, but also to make it harder to be attack. But it depends on the direction the stairs twist whether it's better to attack going up or coming down. [for using a shield and getting the wall to help bock the opponent.]

I'd give cover to both, and a bonus to damage for the top and a penalty to the bottom. In a protracted engagement, say going up stairs, after a minute or 2, [with no break] the penalty would increase.

I've swung a [rattan] sword in castle/fort sieges. Trust me about this. Reach means more than anything else.

[I was a SCA heavy weapons fighter for a while.]
ogbendog
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe the higher guy get's +1 damage, and lower guy -1?
I could also see only -3 to hit the head (or legs) for ht upper guy
the lower guy would be -5 for the head, but only -1 for the legs.

for mounted, I'd also be tempted to have the horse do an agility "trick" to knock the guy off balance by nudging him instead of attacking. the -2 to parry is nice.

I
Lord Karick
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ogbendog wrote:
for mounted, I'd also be tempted to have the horse do an agility "trick" to knock the guy off balance by nudging him instead of attacking. the -2 to parry is nice.

Oooh, I like that. Warhorse only of course (?) and presumably horse's agility rather than riders, or use Riding skill?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: