Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A benny for a new initiative card?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vorpal
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:27 pm    Post subject: A benny for a new initiative card? Reply with quote

I have been thinking of allowing my players to spend a benny to gain a new initiative card at the beginning of the round? They could then keep the better card.

Any thoughts? Pro or con?

Yes, that would simulate the Level Headed Edge that has the same effect.
jpk
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think bennies go quickly enough. Adding another way that players (and, presumably, NPCs) can use them will just get you to the "Dang, I can't soak any more" stage of the fight that much faster.
Lord Skudley
Heroic

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpk wrote:
I think bennies go quickly enough. Adding another way that players (and, presumably, NPCs) can use them will just get you to the "Dang, I can't soak any more" stage of the fight that much faster.

As a Marshal {GM} I don't see the problem...
Noshrok Grimskull
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neither do I.
I allow my players to burn through bennies for any number of reasons.

Want to play a second Adventure Card (from the Adventure Deck)? Sure, give me a benny.
Desperately need your flintlock to be loaded for that final shot? Sure, give me a benny.
Want to reroll your damage dice (as a house rule, everyone in my games has No Mercy - even before there was an Edge by that name!)? Sure, give me a benny.

etc.

So... "Want to have a different Action Card? Sure, give me a benny." isn't that far out for me.

"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes 'ding' when there's stuff." - The Doctor (Doctor Who)
shadd4d
Legendary

Location: Charlottesville, VA...I miss Deutschland and Chicago.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpk wrote:

I've seen this one happen, especially in the end. I have a house rule about giving out a bennie/drawing a chip after each combat...mostly to encourage them to burn it.

The original poster's idea also makes it questionable that anyone would go with quick, or level headed or are spellcasters who run around with the quickness power.

Don

"But there is a difference between fear and horror. An important difference.
Fear is when you worry about what might be.
Horror is when you are certain." Dannyboy01
quixol
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that this is a great idea to allow players to use bennies, and perhaps regret their decision at some future time.

Since more GMs provide 3 bennies to start with at each session, it no longer matters if you have any at the end of the session. I also know that many GMS give bennies for playing into hindrances, PC background and simply great roleplaying in a session.

In my current game I tend to be stingy with bennies, since I like the tension...in other games bennies rain like mana from heaven.

So I say Empower your players....and correct it through effective use of controlling addiitional bennie distribution...kinda like Bernie Maddoff with profits. Sad
PEGShane
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd make it an Edge, probably, but otherwise I like the idea. Smile

Seize the Day (Novice)
Spend a benny to get a new Initiative card. Discard the old card, even if the new one is worse.
RJack
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shadd4d wrote:
I have a house rule about giving out a bennie/drawing a chip after each combat...mostly to encourage them to burn it.

I usually give out a benny before each combat, for the same reason. I hand out XP after.
HaraldKlak
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PEGShane wrote:

Seize the Day (Novice)
Spend a benny to get a new Initiative card. Discard the old card, even if the new one is worse.

Seems a little bit expensive for my taste. Level headed (and improved if availiable) will surely be picked chosen before this one. And Quick would properly also.
It would stack with the above mentioned, but it still seems like an edge which would be neglected.
fanchergw
Heroic

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HaraldKlak wrote:
PEGShane wrote:

Seize the Day (Novice)

Seems a little bit expensive for my taste. Level headed (and improved if availiable) will surely be picked chosen before this one. And Quick would properly also.
It would stack with the above mentioned, but it still seems like an edge which would be neglected.

I have to agree with HaraldKlak on this one. Doing it this way costs the character *both* a benny *and* an edge, and they don't even get to choose which card to use. Ouch! Sorry, but I cannot envision *anyone* taking this unless they're just plain masochistic.

Gordon
AntiTrust
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fanchergw wrote:
HaraldKlak wrote:
PEGShane wrote:

Seize the Day (Novice)

I have to agree with HaraldKlak on this one. Doing it this way costs the character *both* a benny *and* an edge, and they don't even get to choose which card to use. Ouch! Sorry, but I cannot envision *anyone* taking this unless they're just plain masochistic.

Gordon

How about this then

Spotlight or Seize Their Day (seasoned)
Spend a benny to steal any players initiative card, including enemy's. This edge does not void any players or npc's quickness or level headed /improved level headed edges. IE Quick characters will get additional cards till they draw higher than a 5 and Level Headed characters will still get 2 cards (or 3 for improved level headed)
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntiTrust wrote:
How about this then

Spotlight or Seize Their Day (seasoned)
Spend a benny to steal any players initiative card, including enemy's. This edge does not void any players or npc's quickness or level headed /improved level headed edges. IE Quick characters will get additional cards till they draw higher than a 5 and Level Headed characters will still get 2 cards (or 3 for improved level headed)

I'm not a big fan of abilities that take someone else's initiative card. For one thing, it's like having Level Headed equivalent to the number of Wild Cards and groups of GM Extras before even figuring in if any of them actually have those Edges or Quick themselves. But mainly, it's the ability to steal the Joker from someone else that I really dislike; in my opinion, that undercuts the Fun element of the game.

I'd recommend something more like...

Seize The Day!
Requirements: Seasoned, Spirit d8

With inimitable focus, you can react to situations with almost unbeatable speed. Immediately after being dealt initiative, you may spend a Benny to act as if on Hold at the beginning of the round.

This does not affect situations where the character would not be dealt a card such as failing a Notice roll for Surprise, but if the character made the roll and was dealt in, he could use this Edge to begin on Hold the same as those who initiated Surprise.

This basically allows a character to spend a Benny to go first in a round if they want, but another character on Hold could potentially beat them with an opposed Agility roll, and a Joker would always beat this, so it's not 100% guaranteed.

www.peginc.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: