Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Three Dog in HoE

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: Hell on Earth & Lost Colony
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aurora
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:09 am    Post subject: Three Dog in HoE Reply with quote

Well, not the actual perky and upbeat black guy wearin' a funny bandanna. But an NPC that is loosely based on Three Dog from Fallout 3. A character who has built a radio station and uses it to bring the light to the free peoples of the Wasted West, to counter fears and tell everyone about the good guys' derring-do, to poke fun at the big bads like Throckmorton... and to provide cool, upbeat music. I think that such a character will be a great aid to the player characters and a powerful weapon against the Reckoners. What do you think?
Fuzyfeet
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Junker that does the same thing via a 'blog' on "The Net", spreading data slugs with his 'blog' and in print. In fact I use him as the persona for my website as well. I love loud obnoxious people that are at heart good guys and actually do good.

Just my $0.02

My Deadlands sites
The Lynchburg Journal
The Junkyard Intranet
The Temptation Reportl
Onymous
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In our game there was KYRD. Junkyard Radio. Think they had a television station as well. This was later on in the game, of course. Most of it was just spoof reels of Blackhats heads popping in funny ways during raids and news about stuff that we did...

Until we were labeled terrorists and their spinsters used it as a smear campaign. Note to self: Blow up radio tower. That'll show 'em whose a terrorist.

Anywho, eh, Three Dog. I might have liked him a bit more if he wasn't the same three minutes of recorded voice over on an infinite loop. That engendered more of a hatred for him with me than anything else. Was disappointing to see Bethesda go for something like that without the same dedication as, say, GTA had with their radio stations. I could beat those games three or four times without hearing the same bit twice.

Could work but you'd probably have to figure out how he pulled something like that off with just plain ol' radio waves. Net has psuedo-free access but unless he was just dropping MP3 on the internets (prognosticasts, I guess) he would either need to be GOOD friends with COMSAT or have built up a fairly large network.

Not that I couldn't see someone doing it. Say he could work with the Convoy. Builds free radio transmitters to improve lines of communication and all that. Plus a junker radio truck would be awesome.

Might be a nice bit of flavor, as I suppose Three Dog is supposed to be in Fallout, I imagine an excuse for quite a few quests or Renown for the players who care about that sort of thing. Seems like a means to quite a few ends.
ScooterinAB
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I absolutely go gah-gah over the idea of helpful junkers. I just hate the idea of a Junker joining the posse, then building a couple of guns, a posse vehicle, and then never using their powers again.

Reading this thread so far, I got the idea of a Junker going around and actually erecting radio towers (a really big commo/sensor device maybe?). Building radios for every town the Junker goes to, and then using these towers to relay signals. I love it!
Onymous
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats what I was thinking yeah. Only problem with that is anybody with a half decent scanning device will be able to pick up the location of the broadcast and that means some very screwed villagers. Goose doesn't keep all those town locales hidden for nothing.
Fuzyfeet
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Junkers are a great concept, but increadibly hard to play in a game. Any time they want to do what they do, it happens in downtime. They just isn't time to build the cloaking device into the car when your on the trail of a Bloodwolf.

My Junker NPC, Fuzzy, never left Junkyard. After he meet the posse he started hiring them to disperse his data slugs. After a while, most his stories where about the posse, but that was bound to happen, if they are the spot light of a game. He also be came there middle man. After they got buckets of junk, they rolled back to the Yard and dropped it off with him. He then sold it all off and then took a cut of the profit. When the posse would return to collect they only got 65% of the value, but they never cared, after all they didn't have to do any haggling, and they came to trust Fuzzy to keep their stuff, and their secrets.

Maybe your NPC could use the posse to set up new repeaters, or check up on old ones. Great way to l;ead them around when you need to.

Just my $0.02

My Deadlands sites
The Lynchburg Journal
The Junkyard Intranet
The Temptation Reportl
Wendigo1870
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would become especially powerful when combined with some good Tale-tellin'! All guest-speakers with good tale-tellin can spin their stories, spreading hope throughout the WW faster than just travelling around. Then record it and play it again and again! ('till everyone's tired of it and storms the radio station and kills off all taletellers! Twisted Evil )
Ray
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, my group had to deal with ZMBY that was the only radio station around.

It played the best and current hits from Walkin' Dead Music Groups!

"Brains Brains Braaaaaaaaaaaains" is currently #1 and looking to stay there for awhile!
VonDan
Legendary

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they are with the convoy they would have a Junker super powered CB that could broadcast to every CB in the western US

Sort of like my friend upped his CB so we could park a half block from McDonalds and mess with the order system.
Ray
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm hoping my GM doesn't see this thread, otherwise I'll end up having to Salvage some old Radio Dish from The Lunar Lander or something in order to make the radio station work...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: Hell on Earth & Lost Colony All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: