Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[HOE Classic] Bomb question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: Hell on Earth & Lost Colony
View previous topic :: View next topic  
minbari18
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:17 am    Post subject: [HOE Classic] Bomb question Reply with quote

Hey all, first time poster here and i have a quick question.

Has anyone ever seen any way to make a ghost rock bomb and are there rules for this anywhere?

I know that question is kinda out there, and you are probably wondering why anyone would want to make one, but i was just kinda curious.
farmergiles
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No specific rules as such to make one from what I've seen. The only thing I've seen are rules for when it blows up which can be found in the Apocalypse Now adventure that comes with the DM screen.
Zeb Rowe
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Minbari18, welcome to Hell.

Aside from the Doomies' Bowling Ball Tac Nukes and the odd Junker contraption powered by a huge honking Gun Spirit (how 'bout an Inspired Junking entry?), I don't think it's possible anymore to make true GR Bombs.

The GR Bombs were a product of the New Science, and as such could only be created by Mad Scientists. Of course, the Manitou stopped talking to the Maddies once the City Buster was invented, so even they no longer know how to make them.

I suppose there may be a few Mad Scientists left in the world, and they can try to beat the GRB formula out of a Manitou, but remember two things: first, it is extremely difficult for a Maddie to work his craft anymore; second, most of these Mad Scientists probably carry huge amounts of guilt for creating the things in the first place. Most probably wouldn't want to create one again.

Now, that said, there are still unexploded bombs out there. Those should and would be the backstories to major campaigns, but it'd be easier to retrieve a bomb than to make one whole cloth.

Hope that helps,

"...so I unwrap my brand new City O' Gloom box, and right there on the inside of the box bottom, I find the word "Die!!" handwritten in nice big friendly letters..."

What did I ever do to you guys?
ScooterinAB
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why on Earth would you want to make a ghost rock bomb. If you are a Tainted Junker, there are far more entertaining ways to destroy the world. If you are any other posse member, you are just nuts. And if you are a Marshal, you should just use the rules in Apocalypse now.

Using GR Bomb equals overkill. Altough I am curious to know whay you want to make one...
TheBigArn
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play in Minbari18's group, for the love of God, dont tell him how to make Ghost Rock Bombs.
Fuzyfeet
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, Big Arn, I feel for you, but...

Children o' the Atom doesn't tell you how to make it, but it does give you the break down of the devastation from 1/4 mile out to 7 miles...

Just my $0.02

My Deadlands sites
The Lynchburg Journal
The Junkyard Intranet
The Temptation Reportl
minbari18
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Arn is just worried that if i get one, that i'll use it on him. #gunbattle

And as far as wanting to build one, my answer is "Why not?" Twisted Evil
horrorman009
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My answer to your answer/question is, well.... are you the marshall or a player. If you are a player then you shouldn't be wanting to make a ghost rock bomb. Ghost rock bombs were more or less the products of the manitous wanting to create a deadlands/destroy the world. The characters should not be wanting to destroy the world. Just the opposite. If you are the marshall, that might be a different story. Just remember, when you are cooking up the stew, make sure it's not too hot for YOU to handle. In other words, don't step in over your head. That's happened to me several times. YOU'VE BEEN WARNED. #1eek1
minbari18
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

horrorman009 wrote:
The characters should not be wanting to destroy the world. Just the opposite.

Well, first off, i am a player and not the marshal. And while technically, players should want to "save" the world, whats wrong with wanting to take over the world? Twisted Evil
Wendigo1870
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you playing Fallout 3? Notice what happens with your Karma if you blow up Megaton, ...

Now set this in Hell on Earth, where committing truly evil acts sends you on the slippery slope to SERVITORHOOD!
In the end, making and using a GR bomb is self-destructive to the character.

Also; you're probably not the only one out there who wants his mitts on a GR bomb. Throckmorton, probably Silas, and all other petty warlords out there are going to be competing with your PC for knowledge, components, ...

So yeah, have fun! Try it! See how far you can get before your fellow posse members refuse to dig you a grave for being such a scumbag.

(On the other hand, it would be cool though! Twisted Evil )
Zeb Rowe
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It probably speaks volumes that the only ones who can make the bowling ball Tac Nukes are the Green-flavored Doomies. Using a GR Bomb is pretty much considered a Bad Thing.

Moral implications aside, there's also the problem of logistics. A GR Bomb of any consequence will probably need more Irradiated Ghost Rock than can reasonably be collected, not to mention the rest of the bomb components - casing, trigger mechanisms, explosion lenses or whatever. And, again, there's the matter of knowing HOW to put it all together - only the manitou know, and they ain't talking.

It has also been pointed out that anyone setting about collecting these materials will invariably attract the attention of the other guys interested in these sorts of things - The Combine, The Doomsayers, and probably the Reckoners themselves.

Conversely, the forces of good - Law Dogs, The Chamber - will also likely set out to stop anyone mad enough to try for a bomb.

Finally, there are also the loonies that will take interest. They may simply run off with the mad bomber for whatever reason - Luddites might want a hanging, Malcolm Rhinehart might decide the character is just his kind of guy, etc...

In short, this is going to end up causing much more trouble than is likely worthwhile. Again, it's probably easier to hunt for an unexploded bomb.

Well, anyway, good luck.

"...so I unwrap my brand new City O' Gloom box, and right there on the inside of the box bottom, I find the word "Die!!" handwritten in nice big friendly letters..."

What did I ever do to you guys?
TheBigArn
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wendigo1870 wrote:
See how far you can get before your fellow posse members refuse to dig you a grave for being such a scumbag.

You got the "Scumbag" part dead on!!!

LOL

Arn
Ray
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a few organizations that are highly interested in making another Atomic Ghost Rock Bomb, one of the Big Ones, a Citybuster.

One of those organizations might even have a breeder reactor ready to get the Irradiated Ghost Rock needed.

That organization is the Combine.

Which is Headquartered in Hellstromme Industries old Office Buildings.

Dr. Hellstromme, himself, built the Atomic Ghost Rock Bombs himself (It's what got kicked out of Deseret).

So far, they haven't used or tested any, that anyone can determine. And they're not exactly SUBTLE things to miss.

This has everyone very, very worried.

It should have the Posses worried too. They might be test subjects for the first tests... After all, they've survived so much, they'd be prime candidates for test subjects for many, many experiments...

Twisted Evil
Edivdrone
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can actually think of a very good reason that players might want to get their hands on a nuke of any type, GR or conventional. It has to do with the thousands, if not millions, of undead that exist on the other side of the Mississippi river. It might be a distinctly scorched earth approach to the problem, but it beats being dead.

Spoilers:
Quote:
Yes, I know that Raven brought tens (hundreds?) of thousands of various deaders with him in the Unity adventure, but not all campaigns out there have reached that point, and he didn't come close to bringing all of them, just the ones in his army.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: Hell on Earth & Lost Colony All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: