Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

***SPOILER*** Unity Engine
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: Hell on Earth & Lost Colony
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Did you require a sacrifice in the engine room?
Yes
24%
 24%  [ 26 ]
Yes
24%
 24%  [ 26 ]
Yes
24%
 24%  [ 26 ]
Yes
24%
 24%  [ 26 ]
No
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
No
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
No
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
No
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 108

Ray
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now *THAT* is how it should be done!
Psykoguy
Heroic

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, bravo, that was brilliant there! How's he taking it if he survived to Banshee?
Gassire
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 1:05 am    Post subject: . Reply with quote

Everyone else survived to Banshee, although after that session we decided to take a break for a little while. Haven't gotten back to it for a few months since we take rotations gm'ing games.
Psykoguy
Heroic

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'd be nice to see where and when they decide to head to.
HeWhoIsPain
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is the coolest thing EVER! Holy hell!

I haven't gotten there yet, but reading this I had the idea that, were the soul not consumed, and were the hero cool enough, they could always become a Martyr.

I don't like the idea of bringing the sacrifice back, it defeats the purpose. Whichever player loses their character will get some lovely bonus when they make their next one (assuming I can get a steady game going and actually get that far).
The One
Heroic

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gotta admit, in Deadlands the whole concept of ressurecting someone is rather extreme for the setting. What *I* do in my games is have a greater price, simply put a life has to be traded for a life as well as whatever additional cost the process extracts.

This holds true even for Blessed as there are some rules the Powers That Be can't change.

So sure, they can bring the the person back (since IMO the daemon doesn't consume the soul of the deceased, it's more a Faustian thing, evil done in evil's name gives the power), but it'll cost 'em the life of someone and in fact, it reinforces the evil because they've killed TWICE to get what they want and are on their way to becoming a Servitor of Death.
War-Pig
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just the thread I was looking for! I finally got my mits on a copy of The Unity and I am wondering if anyone else has run it since the last post.

I don't Marshal anymore due for numerous reasons, so let me live vicariously through y'all. If I do Marshal again, I'm going to etch out a campaign that goes through all 3 games and tie The Unity into it. I can see the PC's crying now after a long campaign and me forcing them to kill one of them off. Oh it would be too sweet.

I'm thinking about offering an NPC out, but I'm worried someone would gak the NPC without much thought, and I really want to see them squirm.

Share your stories! Thanks!
Wordmaker
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gassire: Brillant! Absolutely brilliant! That's the kind of scene you play for years to see. Hope you'll let us know how it goes from there.
Fuzyfeet
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was running a two man game since the HoE book came out. Before the Unity book came out I gave the Templar, Wolfe, Ronin Lynch.

As the way of introducing the Saint, I gave him a dream of Wolfe and Lawton in a heated argument. Wolfe was watching the scene in the third person. Lawton lowers his head and shakes it. Lawton takes a step back and raises his rifle at Wolfe. As dreaming Wolfe move to stop them, a hand stops him and he looks to see Ronin Lynch standing next to him. Ronin looks dreaming Wolfe in the eye and shakes his head, then points back to the scene. When dreaming Wolfe looks back at the scene, he is staring down the barrel of the rifle. There is a flash of light and the scene goes dark.

We never told the player of Lawton about the dream (in character or out). Then three or four months later I ran the adventure, and in the engine room Wolfe tells him that dieing here to save the world is his destiny. They argue and Lawton finally raises his rifle and shots Wolfe in the head...

After that we told the player about the dream scene and it gave him a shiver... It was the best (and only) use of prophetic dreams. It was a great game all the way through.
Glabro
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy heck, that is indeed priceless. Iīll definitely consider adding that twist too.

It would all depend on how the posse acts out the scene. A willing or semi-willing sacrifice (or if they just randomized it) would end up permanently dead, but if someone murders someone in cold blood (not in self defense - if the chosen sacrifice happens to kill someone while defending himself and the rest of the posse doesnīt kill him (because a death has already taken place), itīd make for an interesting situation as well...
vanessa blackthorn
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, just reading this thread makes me definitly want to go out and buy unity!! i have discovered the joys of pitting posse members againt each other reacently, as one posse member has already become the butcher. the game i am running will eventually lead them to banshee...

just so everyone knows, i started running whitewolf games when i started gming. i never cared for adventure books or anything like that, i thought they were cheesy...... but!! i have recently discovered that nothing beats a deadlands adventure!!!! Very Happy awesome!!

my comic of the week 1-7-08:
http://dlpony.smackjeeves.com/comics/
dmosborne1
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:14 pm    Post subject: Guardian Reply with quote

I havn't run it, yet but I agree with El Diablo. I'm taking the character sheet (No NPCs will be available), pretending to toss it, having the PC come up with a Banshee character. Then in, in a couple of months of game time (at least 2-4 adventures), the character, now a guardian, mad as hell if he wasn't a volunteer, moseys in and...we havn't gotten there yet.
Edivdrone
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: . Reply with quote

Gassire wrote:
I didn't rule out the option of ressurecting the sacrifice. But there wasn't any real need to. To set the story, the two pivotal pc's were two friends playing brothers who grew up on tales of chivalry and all that. The older brother became a templar and the younger a librarian(non arcane type); bascially a knight errant and his chronicler. When we were making their characters they wanted to make them naive and slowly crush their optimism with reality.

So we get to the engine room, I convey what the demon wants and added a bit about it doesn't care how it's done all it wants is a soul. The group starts arguing except for the brothers, after a minute or two the brothers' players look at each other and the templar nods his head. The librarian declares that he draws his gun and shoots his brother, never very good with guns the librarian ends up only fatally wounding his brother and holds him for about 5 painful mins as the templar bleeds out. The rest of the party is shocked and starts asking him how he could kill his own brother. The librarian smirks, and says, "I've read enough of these stories, there's always a way around. You can never truly kill the hero, I'll bring him back even if I have to rip his soul back from this cocksucker." Seeing the perfect opening I laugh in the demons voice and say "You've killed in MY name little bookworm. I don't get his soul, I get yours". The looks on their faces were priceless.

THIS is what the 'sacrifice' is all about. If you go back and read the book, suicide does nothing toward getting Apostolos to use his powers. His price is murder, not a soul. The killer is selling their soul, not sacrificing another's. If you want to get really vicious, the character committing the murder should get the penalty when they die, not the person killed.

And a Blessed using the rules in Fire and Brimstone with a Blessing point can resurrect those unfortunate enough to shuffle off the mortal coil. (If you happen to have one in your posse; my personal problem was keeping everyone in my posse from being one)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: Hell on Earth & Lost Colony All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: