Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[Eberron] Dragonmarks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Amaril
Heroic

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:02 pm    Post subject: [Eberron] Dragonmarks Reply with quote

I'm working on converting the Dragonmarks for SW (see [Eberron] Edges) and their spell-like abilities to SW powers.

I think I have most of the powers adapted to existing powers from either the Savage Worlds Explorer's Edition core book or from the Fantasy Worldbuilder Toolkit. There are some with which I'm struggling to find an appropriate fit and wonder if anyone has any ideas. I'm trying to avoid homebrew spell conversions as much as possible and to rely more on exisiting powers.

Capitalized Powers are already existing powers whereas lowercase powers in red text are from the original spell lists from the Eberron Campaign Setting and/or Dragonmarked supplement.
Y'all Of Cthulhu
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please tell me that you're compiling a pdf file of all of this once it's finished. #1kiss2
SlasherEpoch
Legendary

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+2 to Fighting is really, really, really powerful. Like unbalancing.

I'd actually say your biggest bonus should be +1 and allow it to stack with other Edges. A Dragonmarked character is effectively getting 2 Edges for the price of one right now.

The Mark of Handling could be better served with the Beast Bond Edge, I think.

Evil Wig Enterprises Minion #15 - "The
Machete"
Amaril
Heroic

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Y'all Of Cthulhu wrote:
Please tell me that you're compiling a pdf file of all of this once it's finished. #1kiss2

I do plan to, but there's still some work I want to do with Eberron's unique weapons.

SlasherEpoch wrote:
+2 to Fighting is really, really, really powerful. Like unbalancing.

I'd actually say your biggest bonus should be +1 and allow it to stack with other Edges. A Dragonmarked character is effectively getting 2 Edges for the price of one right now.

Being new to Savage Worlds, I just figured adding a bonus to fighting wasn't much more than adding to a skill, but I see your point. I'll try to find a better solution.

SlasherEpoch wrote:
The Mark of Handling could be better served with the Beast Bond Edge, I think.
As in D&D, I'm sure there are other feats (and classes and spells) that can help certain dragonmarked characters. In other words, I wouldn't use Beast Bond to replace the Mark of Handling, but it's certainly a good complementary feat for employees and members of the House.
Amaril
Heroic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I've been stumped on these for some time now. Anyone got any additional suggestions or ideas for these?
Strickland5
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would shift all the bonuses to a +1.

Additionally getting a mark would cause the character to have a fatigue level for a week of game time (or similar idea), the character wouldn't beable to access his new power/bonus until this fatigue level had passed.

Just my 0010 bits.
Amaril
Heroic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strickland wrote:
Why +1? Does it seem that +2 is too much? I'm not against +1, just curious what the exact rationale is.

Strickland wrote:
Additionally getting a mark would cause the character to have a fatigue level for a week of game time (or similar idea), the character wouldn't beable to access his new power/bonus until this fatigue level had passed.
Eh. There's no similar effect in the setting itself, and I'm not sure I'm keen on the idea anyway, especially because a character can start with that dragonmark edge upon character creation. I just don't think this limitation really adds anything.
Amaril
Heroic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Specifically, I'm looking for substitutions for any of the powers listed in [color=red]red[/color].
Strickland5
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amaril wrote:
Strickland wrote:
Why +1? Does it seem that +2 is too much? I'm not against +1, just curious what the exact rationale is.
I think a +2 and a power is a vastly powerful Edge. If it was just a +2 or a power, I can see them as fairly balanced. I've got a player in my DLR game with Ace (+2 to Boating, Driving, and Piloting rolls) and Theif (+2 to Climb, Lockpick, and Stealth) and those two edges saved his bacon more times. +2s are huge.

As for the fatigue, you already have "Backlash: After you use the power granted by your aberrant dragonmark, you must make a Vigor roll. Failure means you are Shaken. This can cause a wound." in the write up, I was thinking of simply taking it one step farther.
Amaril
Heroic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strickland wrote:
I think a +2 and a power is a vastly powerful Edge. If it was just a +2 or a power, I can see them as fairly balanced. I've got a player in my DLR game with Ace (+2 to Boating, Driving, and Piloting rolls) and Theif (+2 to Climb, Lockpick, and Stealth) and those two edges saved his bacon more times. +2s are huge.
I see your point, but those are +2 to three skills related to the same character function or role.

Strickland wrote:
As for the fatigue, you already have "Backlash: After you use the power granted by your aberrant dragonmark, you must make a Vigor roll. Failure means you are Shaken. This can cause a wound." in the write up, I was thinking of simply taking it one step farther.
The reason it's applied to aberrant dragonmark is because that's actually an effect of aberrant marks in the world of Eberron.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: