Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[Eberron] Edges

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kristian Serrano
Heroic

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:23 pm    Post subject: [Eberron] Edges Reply with quote

Stemming from my conversions of Eberron races, this thread is to specifically discuss Eberron Edges converted from key Eberron feats.

My goal is not to convert every feat published in an Eberron supplement. Instead, I'm focusing on those that are key to particular concepts associated with the core story elements of the setting such as racial and dragonmark feats.

Anyway, enough blabbering. What I'm looking for here is some feedback on whether or not these conversions/adaptations are balanced and functional as Edges.

Last edited by Kristian Serrano on Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:25 am; edited 1 time in total
dentris
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's some ideas:

Dragonmark (Background edge)
prereq: Novice

Select a power, you may use this power by making a smarts roll with a penalty equal to the power's pp cost. (A list of houses and specific powers should be included, but i feel too lazy. this also includes Aberrant marks)

Favored in House (Social edge)
prereq: Novice, membership in a dragonmarked house

+2 charisma when dealing with members of your house.
Kristian Serrano
Heroic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Dentris!

Since Dragonmarks can be manifested later in life (or in the campaign), should it be a Background Edge?

Favored in House was on my mental to-do list. I'm thinking of expanding it further, but I'm not sure of the complexity is worth it. I'm also thinking of granting the benefits of the Noble Edge.

As an aside, I should have shared the list of Dragonmarks and powers associated with them for completeness.
DaRealJudas
Seasoned

Location: Officially Bremen, Germany but mostly my own little world inside my head (soo peaceful & pretty)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amaril wrote:
Since Dragonmarks can be manifested later in life (or in the campaign), should it be a Background Edge?

Background Edges can be taken after character creation. But only with GM permission and probably a good in-game reason. So why not? Smile
Kristian Serrano
Heroic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For reference, see Dragonmarks for requirements, bonuses, and powers)

DaRealJudas wrote:
Amaril wrote:

Background Edges can be taken after character creation. But only with GMs' permission and probably a good in-game reason. So why not? Smile
Good point. Both criteria are applicable to acquiring a dragonmark in the middle of a campaign.

Additionally, characters in SW acquire more edges than characters in d20 acquire feats, so taking The New Power and Power Points Edges in lieu of Lesser and Greater Dragonmark shouldn't be a problem. Power Points already restricts once power per rank and gives enough additional power points to manifest lower powers multiple times and greater at least once. New Power would need to be restricted somehow. I could put a limitation in the Arcane Background (Dragonmark) feat that indicates New Power may only be taken once per rank?
dentris
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't make the Dragonmark an arcane background, though, since you can be a mage and still have a dragonmark. (The rules state you can only have one arcane background)

Instead, if you want to replicate the power scaling of the dragonmarks, use different edges (least DM, Lesser DM, Greater DM), but do not make it an arcane background, please. For the Ultimate version (copyright oblige), it could be a legendary edge with a unique power available only to those without any other DM.
Kristian Serrano
Heroic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dentris wrote:
I wouldn't make the Dragonmark an arcane background, though, since you can be a mage and still have a dragonmark. (The rules state you can only have one arcane background)
Crud, I never noticed that. I always thought they were separate Edges, not different versions of one Edge. Honestly, that's somewhat bothersome. Why couldn't a priest of a goddess of arcane magic be able to use both magic and miracles. Of course, I could make Arcane Background (Dragonmark) the exception to the rule or just allow the Savage Eberron campaign to have a variant rule that allows for multiple Arcane Background Edges. (Hellfrost ditches Power Points altogether, so there!)

dentris wrote:
Instead, if you want to replicate the power scaling of the dragonmarks, use different edges (least DM, Lesser DM, Greater DM), but do not make it an arcane background, please.
Luckily, Google Docs allows one to revert to previous versions of a file.

dentris wrote:
For the Ultimate version (copyright oblige), it could be a legendary edge with a unique power available only to those without any other DM.
I need to give this some thought. My brain is too tired right now.
Theophage
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amaril wrote:
Why couldn't a priest of a goddess of arcane magic be able to use both magic and miracles.

I think in that case, the edge would still be "Arcane Background (miracles)" with all that entails, but the list of powers available would be skewed more toward (or simply just including) arcane spell effects. Such a character wouldn't have to worry about manaburn (or whatever it's called) when rolling a one like mages do.

In fact, even though they wouldn't have a Spellcasting skill (they'd still use Faith), such a character may also be required to have the Knowledge (arcana) skill to make up for the increased power list, and so that they better understand the forces that their deity is patron of...

Daniel "Theophage" Clark
theophage (at) geocities (dot) com
Kristian Serrano
Heroic

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would it be ridiculous to make Dragonmarks exception to the rule, allowing for the ability to take a second Arcane Background Edge if desired?
dentris
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, but i would prefer if they were treated differently, imo. Dragonmarks aren't like arcane background. They give you access to powers inherently. No need for training, ritual or anything. You just have them.
Kristian Serrano
Heroic

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dentris wrote:
No, but i would prefer if they were treated differently, imo. Dragonmarks aren't like arcane background. They give you access to powers inherently. No need for training, ritual or anything. You just have them.
yeah, I just thought that New Power and Power Points as edges in lieu of Lesser and Greater Dragonmark would have been elegant ways of achieving the same effect within the framework of Savage Worlds rules.

Additionally, rules exceptions among the various versions of the Arcane Background Edge are part of the core rules, adding one more wouldn't break much.

I'll mull it over some.
Harboe
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just butting in here. Favoured in House already exists in the core rules... it's called Connections Cool

Persuasion check, modified for circumstances, works for specific organisation only? Check!
Kristian Serrano
Heroic

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Need_A_Life wrote:
Just butting in here. Favoured in House already exists in the core rules... it's called Connections Cool

Persuasion check, modified for circumstances, works for specific organisation only? Check!
Good call.
Kristian Serrano
Heroic

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to use Weird Science as a substitution for Artificers, but after really thinking about it, I realized it doesn't capture the spontaneity of infusions. I decided to instead take a stab at creating another Arcane Background. Let me know what you think.

Arcane Background (Infusions)

Arcane Skill: Imbue (Smarts)
Starting Power Points: 10
Starting Powers: 3

To use an infusion, Artificers make an Imbue skill roll to imbue objects with a power the artificer knows. Artificers may expend additional power points to extend the duration or enhance any other effects if applicable. Any raises on the Imbue skill roll affect the power of the item if applicable. The wielder of the object does not need to make any skill roll to use the item.

The object remains imbued for the duration of the power or until the power is used if its duration is instant. Once triggered, the power's duration is only as long as the number of rounds remaining from the infusion's duration.

Example: Leia, an artificer, successfully imbues Barrier on a stone, spends additional power points to extend the duration 5 rounds, and gives the stone to Dan, a soldier without an Arcane Background Edge. Dan waits 2 rounds before triggering the stone automatically without a skill roll. The Barrier power lasts for only 3 rounds as 2 rounds were spent delaying the stone's activation.
Kristian Serrano
Heroic

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dentris wrote:
Just to touch on this again, I don't see Arcane Backgrounds as being exclusively bound to training or rituals. Just look at Super Powers; they can be something you inherently posses. In fact, I was almost tempted to use Super Powers for dragonmark powers; I felt the number of power points was too great, and the skills were too numerous.
Kristian Serrano
Heroic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amaril wrote:
I was going to use Weird Science as a substitution for Artificers, but after really thinking about it, I realized it doesn't capture the spontaneity of infusions. I decided to instead take a stab at creating another Arcane Background. Let me know what you think.

Arcane Background (Infusions)

Arcane Skill: Imbue (Smarts)
Starting Power Points: 10
Starting Powers: 3

To use an infusion, Artificers make an Imbue skill roll to imbue objects with a power the artificer knows. Artificers may expend additional power points to extend the duration or enhance any other effects if applicable. Any raises on the Imbue skill roll affect the power of the item if applicable. The wielder of the object does not need to make any skill roll to use the item.

The object remains imbued for the duration of the power or until the power is used if its duration is instant. Once triggered, the power's duration is only as long as the number of rounds remaining from the infusion's duration.

Example: Leia, an artificer, successfully imbues Barrier on a stone, spends additional power points to extend the duration 5 rounds, and gives the stone to Dan, a soldier without an Arcane Background Edge. Dan waits 2 rounds before triggering the stone automatically without a skill roll. The Barrier power lasts for only 3 rounds as 2 rounds were spent delaying the stone's activation.

I'm an idiot. I just realized the Gadgeteer Edge covers this type of ability so there's no real need to create a new Arcane Background Edge.
Kristian Serrano
Heroic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dentris wrote:
I was just revisiting this thread to think more about the conversions I've been working on, and I was wondering how this argument would apply to Arcane Background (Super Powers).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: