Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[NE] Contortionist Edge?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Space Ranger
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:04 pm    Post subject: [NE] Contortionist Edge? Reply with quote

Hi everyone. I've been a long time lurker here and finally had to sign up. I've enjoyed reading all the exchanges of ideas (usually great ones) and feedback that goes on here. Savage Worlds' community certainly is one of the friendliest I've ever witnessed. So I guess I'm feeling a little emboldened.

A question's come up with my Necessary Evil campaign that I haven't seen an answer here on the boards or for which I have one myself. So I'm hoping to pick the brains of those around here for advise.

My nephew's last villain got himself killed trying to save a teammate and he, having just seen the Scarecrow of Romney Marsh decided that he wanted to make his new villain on that theme, but he'd like to incorporate the contortionist abilities of the Ragdoll, a villain from The Batman animated series, not the famous Bruce Timm series, the other one.

Once I heard the idea, I was kind of surprised that a Contortionist Edge hadn't been included in the Necessary Evil book, it seems a natural match with the genre (comic book supers) to me. Using weird, spine-defying moves in combat to avoid attacks or deliver unexpected blows, a bonus to escape attempts, squeezing into areas ordinarily too tight for mortals, that sort of thing.

I don't have a whole lot of experience with Savage Worlds and am a little hesitant to attempt a house rule by myself. So I wanted to ask: Has anyone done up a contortionist edge or even a power for their own campaign?

I look forward to the input that I've come to expect from you Savages. Thanks in advance for your help on this.

Ethernaut Adventurer
Have Raygun, will travel
Wiggy
Legendary

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like it's covered by interpretation of existing powers or Edges.

Dodge/Block or Super Parry would let you avoid blows. For some characters it's a martial talent, but for this guy it has a "trapping" of contorts form. There's definitely a stretch-type power (I forget the name) that would let him squeeze through small gaps.
SlasherEpoch
Legendary

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Altered Form is the power you're thinking of, Wiggy, and it's definitely what I thought of when heard the topic.

You might also consider Shrink with a modifier that there's a maximum shrinking size.

Evil Wig Enterprises Minion #15 - "The
Machete"
TheLoremaster
Legendary

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: [NE] Contortionist Edge? Reply with quote

Space Ranger wrote:
Once I heard the idea, I was kind of surprised that a Contortionist Edge hadn't been included in the Necessary Evil book, it seems a natural match with the genre (comic book supers) to me. Using weird, spine-defying moves in combat to avoid attacks or deliver unexpected blows, a bonus to escape attempts, squeezing into areas ordinarily too tight for mortals, that sort of thing.

AFAIK, all the core Edges are up for grabs in NE, so it sounds like Acrobat might fit the bill too. Then pair it with Super Attribute: Agility...
Porkchop Express
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:08 am    Post subject: Re: [NE] Contortionist Edge? Reply with quote

TheLoremaster wrote:
Space Ranger wrote:

AFAIK, all the core Edges are up for grabs in NE, so it sounds like Acrobat might fit the bill too. Then pair it with Super Attribute: Agility...

This is exactly what I was thinking, contorting your body should count as an acrobatic trick (agility roll) and net him a +2 bonus.
DaRealJudas
Seasoned

Location: Officially Bremen, Germany but mostly my own little world inside my head (soo peaceful & pretty)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:31 am    Post subject: Re: [NE] Contortionist Edge? Reply with quote

Space Ranger wrote:
Hi everyone. I've been a long time lurker here and finally had to sign up. I've enjoyed reading all the exchanges of ideas (usually great ones) and feedback that goes on here. Savage Worlds' community certainly is one of the friendliest I've ever witnessed. So I guess I'm feeling a little emboldened.

First of all: Welcome. It's always nice for new Savage to show up here.

Space Ranger wrote:
Once I heard the idea, I was kind of surprised that a Contortionist Edge hadn't been included in the Necessary Evil book, it seems a natural match with the genre (comic book supers) to me.

Thing that I learned here is: With Savage Worlds there are almost always more ways than just one to reach your goal. And this is especially true for NE. It all comes down to trappings.
So this is just my suggestion:

Space Ranger wrote:
Using weird, spine-defying moves in combat to avoid attacks or deliver unexpected blows

That can be perfectly done with the Parry and the Deflection Powers.
As for the unexpected blows: That is what Tricks were made for. Combing a Trick with Alternate Form and you got it. You could even give a bonus if your nephew uses something quite clever.
Maybe the Extra Action Power would be helpful here.

Space Ranger wrote:
a bonus to escape attempts, squeezing into areas ordinarily too tight for mortals, that sort of thing.

Take Alternate Form with the modifier More Elastic. (maybe Fall-Proof, if that fits the concept)
Also you could use Intangibility with a negative modifier: Only to pass though walls and needs holes or crakes to pass trough (I suggest a -4; that way with Phaser the whole power would cost 3 PP)

Iím not familiar with Ragdoll but maybe the Construct Power would be helpful too. That way, he feels no pain and called shots are useless.

Anyway, hope that helps. Smile
Space Ranger
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:05 am    Post subject: Thanks to all! Reply with quote

Thank you for the excellent suggestions. I'd been toying with the Acrobat Edge myself, so it nice to see I wasn't too far off the Navi-beacon! I'll work with Jordan, my nephew, and see if we can't get what he's looking for from all these suggestions.

Thanks again for your help with this. I knew I came to the right place!

Ethernaut Adventurer
Have Raygun, will travel
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to confirm what others have said, a contortionist ability along the lines of Ragdoll would (in my opinion) pretty much be Altered Form (physical). While not physically changed, the effects are the same, so it'd be a trapping of that power.

He can compress his size. Check (50% alteration).
Roll with blows. Check (+4 Toughness vs. Physical attacks)
Surprise attack. Potentially (1" of Reach could represent the ability to contort himself to attack farther than would be expected)

Optionally, the GM could drop the Reach based on the trappings and provide some other ability in it's place.

www.peginc.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: