Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A Conversion of sorts...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MadEd
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:17 am    Post subject: A Conversion of sorts... Reply with quote

Hello, all. I'm new here, and tinkering with the conversion of something. Or maybe it's a home-brew setting? I suppose it could be considered both since the the setting has been published before and I was the one who wrote it. At this time, according to the terms of my original contract everything has reverted back to my ownership and I can do with it as I please.

I think I've done a fair job of conversion, but if there's anyone out there with a critical eye for such things, I was wondering if they'd be interested in checking it out and giving me a shout as to Savage Worlds rules consistency.

Amusingly, I've played Deadlands numerous times yet, being from a small town with very limited game shop realty, I haven't really noticed until recently that Savage Worlds was the rules set behind it. I've always loved the system, and just started picking up a good bit of SW materials when some friends wanted to "play the game I wrote", but I was disappointed with the former publisher and didn't want to use the mechanics behind that publication, so here we are...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
MadEd
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:18 am    Post subject: Tales from the Fallen Empire Reply with quote

Tales from the Fallen Empire is a fantasy/steampunk setting, and I've posted most of what I have here: http://swtftfe.blogspot.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Harboe
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I urge you to remove the Edges already mentioned in SW:EX! Ace, Gadgeteer and so on are (AFAIK) not freely distributable.

Other than that, it looks fine. I like seeing your take on cyberneti-- thaumatech enhancements reminds of my own. Which is of course, also adapted from Necessary Evil.
MadEd
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Need_A_Life wrote:
I urge you to remove the Edges already mentioned in SW:EX! Ace, Gadgeteer and so on are (AFAIK) not freely distributable.

Other than that, it looks fine. I like seeing your take on cyberneti-- thaumatech enhancements reminds of my own. Which is of course, also adapted from Necessary Evil.

Ah, thanks for that first note. Taken care of that bit.

On the second, I'm not exactly sure what's in Necessary Evil, as I don't own it at this time Wink If it's similar to what I've worked up, I may well have to check that one out too. It definitely sounds interesting.

All I'm working this up with so far is the Explorer's Edition, the Wizards & Warriors booklet, and the Sci-Fi Gear Toolkit (and maybe that one explains my approach to thaumatech enhancements being similar to Necessary Evil?).

I'll be acquiring the Fantasy Bestiary Toolkit to use in working up a bestiary conversion and posting it as well, soon.

Thanks for taking a peek, and if there's anything else you notice, drop me a line Smile
shadd4d
Legendary

Location: Charlottesville, VA...I miss Deutschland and Chicago.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is your sorcerer unlike the Wizard professional Edge? I mean, you've got 4 different version of it, which may make sense for your setting but really doesn't. It just seems weird to restrict it and put it at different ranks of experience. If it's open to all your flavours of AB: Magic, then I'm not sure why it should be restricted as it is.

Take for example Sundered Skies and its' flavours of AB:Miracles; each miracles path has its own edge or set of edges only open to it. I guess what I'm saying is that, in my opinion, edges that are restricted to a certain path or flavour of AB:Magic or AB:Miracles or AB:X should give some sort of benefit beyond or inherently special to that AB rather than shifting around the requirements of something that each of them shares in common and can reach.

Beyond that, it looks interesting...I think if you have it, look at how Sundered Skies does it magic, especially the AB:Miracles flavours. I do not mean to attack you...but take a look at this and maybe go back to the drawing board for this.

Don

"But there is a difference between fear and horror. An important difference.
Fear is when you worry about what might be.
Horror is when you are certain." Dannyboy01
MadEd
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, no, I don't take it as an attack at all, no worries Wink I understand where you are coming from.

Sorcerer is unlike Wizard in the pure, raw elemental nature of their powers, and the availability of the Professional Edge to only one race, a breed of draconic-man hybrids.

I had to think about it for a second when I read "different ranks of experience". All were supposed to be Novice; then I went back and found the Chimaerist! Corrected that, not sure what I did there. Think it came from the "Monster Hunter" Professional Edge I am still tossing around, it's Seasoned. Maybe pasted wrong or somesuch lol.

I plan for some Edges that I am working up to be available only to those who have that Professional Edge in particular, just as I have some I am working on uniquely for the other three Professional Edges that, along with Sorcerer, take the place of the generic Wizard in this setting.

It's all very much a work in progress still as I hash out how I want to convert the stuff I already have for the setting under the other rules set it was originally published.

I'm working on that same approach with AB: Miracles, as well.

My largest amount of pondering has been spent on "trappings", though. So far, all I can see noted on Trappings is basically just renaming the power to suit the paradigm of the spellcaster/miracle-worker/etc. I wanted it to mean a little more than that for this setting, so I'm working on including other information with the "Trappings" section of each type of power, as well.
MadEd
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shadd4d wrote:
I think if you have it, look at how Sundered Skies does it magic, especially the AB:Miracles flavours.
Don

I don't have it yet, as I'm working on limited gaming funds right now (unemployment's knocking on my door as the place I've been working at is closing its doors in about a month), but it's high on my list of "to get" things.
shadd4d
Legendary

Location: Charlottesville, VA...I miss Deutschland and Chicago.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trappings can be more...like the Deflection spell of the DL:R martial artist includes a bit of catching and returning a bullet, for instance. Or a version of the armor spell, as in SW:EX, in which it is a flaming shield and provides more defense against fire and from a certain direction.

Basically, a trapping is something that not only makes the spell unique to that class or profession but can also mechanically change it. Look at the trappings in DL:R for an example; some of them do mechanically change the powers, like the aforementioned Deflection or Blast for the Martial Artist or elemental manipulation for voodooist versus regular blessed. Another example are the application system used in Shaintar, which allows for different effects based on knowing the basic power, like a more focused bolt or something. While it's something that can be done through GM/Player barter, effect fudging and really good dice rolling, it's another resource to look at to see if it can help you out by giving actual mechanical effects to certain trappings.

I guess my problem is that mechanically, your various AB-extra edges do the same thing Wizard does...which does kind of mystify me. I do see how you're beginning to set up edge trees, which is good.

Don

"But there is a difference between fear and horror. An important difference.
Fear is when you worry about what might be.
Horror is when you are certain." Dannyboy01
Harboe
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two things.

The reason I said it reminded me of Necessary Evil (from which I have stolen a "wealth system" based on its Arcane Background) is that you don't spend power points to activate the power, but to buy it. So once it's bought, it's (normally) unlimited in its uses.

Second thing, trappings. Trappings are the most important thing in Savage Worlds! When you look at it, the FFF aspect of the game are only so because of trappings. That d12 shooting can either represent expert training and thousands of hours of training, or simply consistently lucky shots.
Same for powers! Bolt doesn't sound interesting, but when it's called "Fireball," "Necrotic Wave" or "Neural disruptor" it sounds cool. Only its effects are all [2-3]d6x[1-3].

No need to reinvent the wheel, just give it a paintjob!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: