Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Habit (Minor) or Quirk?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HappyDaze
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:47 am    Post subject: Habit (Minor) or Quirk? Reply with quote

Is there any real guideline between these two Hindrances? The descriptions of each - especially the Solomon Kane versions - make them seem very similar. The only notable difference is that Habit (Minor) has a mechanical penalty while Quirk does not. So is it possible for a single negative aspect of a character to be covered under either or even both? I'll throw a few examples out there to see where others might draw the line.

1. A character uses excessive profanity. Is this a Habit (Minor), a Quirk, or both?

2. A multilingual character frequently switches from language to language in the same conversation even when those he's speaking with can't follow along. Is this a Habit (Minor), a Quirk, or both?

3. A character is lecherous and takes every opportunity to pursue the intimate company of the opposite sex. Is this a Habit (Minor), a Quirk, or both?

4. A character tells really bad jokes at really inappropriate moments. Is this a Habit (Minor), a Quirk, or both?

5. A character constantly mumbles and never speaks clearly. Is this a Habit (Minor), a Quirk, or both?

EDIT: It looks like a very similar question was just asked and answered. I'll understand if you just want to skip going over this again, but if you'd be willing to give this a bit more attention and address my points 1-5, I'd appreciate it.

EDIT II: Clint moved this to the general forum in hopes that others might address their takes on it. Please have at it.
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Habit (Minor) or Quirk? Reply with quote

HappyDaze wrote:
The only notable difference is that Habit (Minor) has a mechanical penalty while Quirk does not.

Actually, to specify and continue off my reply in the the other thread, Quirk doesn't have any listed mechanical penalty. A character who spends the first round of combat trying to cut his initials in an opponent's clothes is going to have a "mechanical" penalty as they have to use their first action to do that.

In that manner, a Minor Habit is (in a way) a specific version of a Quirk as it defines a particular kind of quirk and it's effects.

A Quirk should have an effect; it's just as variable as the potential creativity in coming up with the Quirk. Now, a Quirk does not have to have a specific mechanical effect, but it should have a game effect that might get the character in trouble or otherwise inconvience them.

For instance, a Minor Habit could be a Quirk with a mechanical effect, but Loyal could be a Quirk (always sticks by friends) with a game effect.

Could a character take both for the same aspect? Not exactly. They could be linked to the same aspect but represent different effects.

To use existing Hindrances for an example, a character could have an Enemy that is a magistrate who put out a warrant on them causing them to also be Wanted. The enemy is still after the character in other ways, so it is two different effects from connected Hindrances.

Using one of the examples above, a character could have a Quirk of lecherousness, being on the look out and open to intimate contact. That can have different game effects such as simply being separated from the other PCs at a time when the character might be needed to minor enemies (significant others, spouses, parents...) or other potential effects related to the Quirk.

Such a character could also have a Habit where they constantly talk about or seek such intimate encounters even in inappropriate times.

One effect related to the act and one related to the discussion of the act; neither of which is necessarily inclusive of the other.

Anyway, when it comes down to it, I would tend to define a Quirk as to whether it falls outside the definition of a Habit. If it isn't an annoying and constant action that would result in a -1 Charisma from almost everyone, then it more likely falls under the broader umbrella of a Quirk.

www.peginc.com
Adam Baulderstone
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I don't even worry if a quirk is much of a Hindrance. I view the point it gives as a reward for giving your character some kind of distinguishing personality trait. If the player makes it a true Hindrance, or at least has it enhance the story in some way, they will get more bennies, and if it doesn't then they won't. It's not my problem.
Sitting Duck
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Habit (Minor) or Quirk? Reply with quote

HappyDaze wrote:
1. A character uses excessive profanity. Is this a Habit (Minor), a Quirk, or both?

Depends on the setting. If it something like Rippers where mingling with upper class twits is common, I'd say Habit. However in the rough and tumble frontier setting that is Deadlands it would be a Quirk.

Quote:
2. A multilingual character frequently switches from language to language in the same conversation even when those he's speaking with can't follow along. Is this a Habit (Minor), a Quirk, or both?

Quirk.

Quote:
3. A character is lecherous and takes every opportunity to pursue the intimate company of the opposite sex. Is this a Habit (Minor), a Quirk, or both?

Same as #1 above.

Quote:
4. A character tells really bad jokes at really inappropriate moments. Is this a Habit (Minor), a Quirk, or both?

I'm leaning towards Habit on this one.

Quote:
5. A character constantly mumbles and never speaks clearly. Is this a Habit (Minor), a Quirk, or both?

Quirk.
steelbrok
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For lechery you might consider its trappings

If the character is flirtatious, accepts a refusal graciously and is very charming then Quirk

If on the other hand they won't take no for an answer and don't treat their potential partners well then Habit and Charisma loss
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: