Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Caltrops

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DanOrc
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:06 pm    Post subject: Caltrops Reply with quote

Hello hello,

I've been playing around with the notion of caltrops in both a modern-ish and a fantasy setting. (Although, in the fantasy setting, for roleplaying reasons, they'll be Weird Science like gadgets made out of sticks, twine, and a little bit of rock, and will be referred to as Polyhedral Pedo-Penetrators).

Anyone have any idea as to how to handle these? I mean, I imagine it'd be pretty impossible to actually kill someone, but could shake them perhaps (non-lethally I'd imagine), or maybe cause Fatigue damage?

This is what I'm looking at so far... they come in a 2 pound bag, which will cover a Small Burst Template. If they Notice them, (perhaps at a -2 if moving over half their pace or -4 if running?) they can stop immediately and move half-speed through the caltrop field without penalty. If they fail, 2d6 "damage" versus a TN of 4 (adjusted by armor as GM sees fit), with Shaken results as normal, but any "wounds" going to Fatigue instead?

I'm kind of at a loss here as to how to handle these intelligently and keep them FFF. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
SlasherEpoch
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about:
A bag of caltrops creates Difficult Terrain in a Small Burst Template.

EASY!

Evil Wig Enterprises Minion #15 - "The
Machete"
jamused
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No reason not to have iron caltrops in a fantasy setting (unless iron is unknown), they existed historically back as far as 331 BC. I think they were most useful against cavalry.

I'd go something like: Caltrops count as Difficult Ground. Mounted Troops must make a Riding roll (with the -2 Difficult Ground Penalty) every round or lose control of their mount. If they were moving at less than half the mount's pace, the mount is shaken; if they were moving at more than half the mount's pace, they actually have to roll on the Out of Control table.
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe...

Move through area at half base Pace safely.
Normal Pace requires an Notice roll or be Shaken; a 1 on the Trait die means gaining a level of (Bumps and Bruises) Fatigue.
Running requires a Notice roll at -2.

To use the caltops make a Smarts (to place) or Throwing (to throw of course) roll. On a raise, Notice rolls to avoid are at an additional -2 penalty.

www.peginc.com
Karnaze
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Clint's idea and maybe add...

Move through area at half base Pace safely.
Normal Pace requires an Notice roll or be Shaken; a 1 on the Trait die means gaining a level of (Bumps and Bruises) Fatigue.

A critical failure on the notice roll means that the character stepped squarely on a caltrop and as a result of jerking their foot up, has fallen into the covered area. The character takes 2d4 dmg.

Running requires a Notice roll at -2.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: