Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mutations - how often do you inflict them?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: Hell on Earth & Lost Colony
View previous topic :: View next topic  
farmergiles
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:07 pm    Post subject: Mutations - how often do you inflict them? Reply with quote

The mutations section in both the core rulebook and the Children Of the Atom book are great, but it seems theres only two ways to inflict them on the posse, one been a Doomsayer and his healing spell (as well as been one in the first place) and another been busting on rare rolls.

But do any marshals make it easier to inflict mutations on posses? And if so how do you go about doing it without making it a tad broken? Coz even radiation poisoning does not inflict mutations.
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget that walking through a ghost storm barrier will do it as well. Yes, it's only on a black joker, but if you have a party of 6 PCs, that's still a better than 10% chance one of them gets it.

And that's only on the way in, they still have to draw again on the way out, so every ghost storm crossing guarantees at least two draws.

So to make it more likely, just set up more scenarios that involve heading into cities (other than Boise).

www.peginc.com
farmergiles
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only thing is, walking through one and getting a black joker is 5D12 damage. That will pretty much kill the bloke before he gets a mutation! Razz
horrorman009
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, you have to draw for the damage against their spirit roll. And then possibly messin' them up. Bazing!
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What he said. The damage is automatically reduced by the result of a Spirit roll. And a doomsayer can cast Tolerance to give a bonus to the roll very cheaply, but note that it doesn't change the fact that the mutation still occurs.

www.peginc.com
horrorman009
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, at that point you can always ask a player if they WANT a mutation. It doesn't hurt to ask. I asked and got totally weirded out. I took a couple mutations from the Las Vegas book. A couple of heads, if you're wondering. Even though that happened, that was still my best character. Everyone loved him. Much later on he died. *"Taps" playing in the background*
oleingva
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, great to be back in the saddle. It has been MUCH too long since I last did some proper deadlandsing.

But: Actually, I find this whole dilemma a bit strange - my experience is that mutations are much too common! Out of eight characters that have appeared in my campaign, only two have not been mutants. Both of these only survived two sessions. Some of the remaining guys have several, and now the undertaker has taken the Blessings o' the Atom edge to really take his mutantism to a new level. Also, since one player decided to retire his cyborg last session, he's now creating a doomsayer. Should be fun for all.
thepilk
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont you also get one for pulling a black joker at character creation?
ScooterinAB
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do get a mutation on a black joker during generation. You can also take one of a few edges and hindrances.

Note on frequency. It depends on the campaign. I've have Marshals that really like sending us into Deadlands. Some Junkers might be prone if they have the Reactor power. So ya. It all depends.
johntfs
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For that matter, in the Classic rules you take Mutant as a 3 point Hindrance or Super Mutant as a 5 point Edge.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: Hell on Earth & Lost Colony All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: