Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[HoE] "Shelter power" or "Showing up with the

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: Hell on Earth & Lost Colony
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ScooterinAB
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:14 am    Post subject: [HoE] "Shelter power" or "Showing up with the Reply with quote

So if you haven't figured out by not, I'm a big Junker fan. From yime to time, I'll spend afternoons just flipping through the book and trying to make things. Over the last little while, I've mastered the fine art of building somehting with more than 1 power. But from time to time, I come across something that I just can't figure out.

One of these somethings is the Shelter power. I just love the idea of a Junker going around and "repairing" damaged building, constructing shelters for small settlements, and building an RV. Shelter looks great for that, but there's something I don't get.

We already have a mechanic for building dead space into devices. In terms of building a posse RV, you can do it very well with Locomotion wih a bunch of dead space, Armor, Temperature (for climate control), and any other powers you want to cram in it, all the while not needed Shelter. As for making buildings, you could build a large device with a lot of dead space (maybe a kind of security systems or another AC unit). But again, you can do this all without Shelter.

Aside from an alternative mechanc for calculating how much space you have (in square feet), Shelter doesn't really seem that appealing. Now the power does have the ability to "fold up", but even this seems kind of moot. Lets use example A.

Junker Hank is building a tent-like device to keep him out of a storm. He runs the numbers and just needs something small and portable. He cimes up with a size 7 device (which is a tight fit. Think sleeping bag). But he also wants it to fold up so he can take it with him. The device folds up to a wopping size 4, which isn't actually that portable at all.

ANything a person can fit into is going to be far too large to fold up and carry. The point is, the power is kind of cool, but also kind of pointless.

Am I missing something? Any thoughts?
Fuzyfeet
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: [HoE] "Shelter power" or "Showing up with Reply with quote

[quote="ScooterinAB"]So if you haven't figured out by not, I'm a big Junker fan. From yime to time, I'll spend afternoons just flipping through the book and trying to make things.[quote]

This is a past time of mine (and Snap_Dragon's) too. Isnít it a fun waste of time?

I canít argue too much about this, other than the power provides two things (IMO). First game balance and the second is flavor. I didnít separate the two reason because they kinda fit together. Without the Shelter power any Junker can build a bunker (or tent), but thatís not how things work. One could make the argument that some powers are redundant or could be combined (Gunsmith and Flash Gordon, Locomotion and VTOL, etc) but just cuz a Junker can do one doesnít mean he/she can to both. Also just building a large device with other powers like Temperature in it and calling it a bunker doesnít technically make it a bunker. While a car has a frame (the structure not the game concept) to in-close it your "Junker Bunker" (love that name by the by) would need walls and that is where Shelter comes in: again for balance and flavor. This argument of walls could be muted by adding Armor to a large device, but that is a little too close to munchkin for me and goes against the flavor I was talking about.

As for your argument about the folding, I do think that is broken and should be changed. Iíd go with the frame divided by 3 personally. A two man tent should fold to backpack sized or smaller so a Frame 8 should fold to Frame 3 IMO.

Just my $0.02

My Deadlands sites
The Lynchburg Journal
The Junkyard Intranet
The Temptation Reportl
ScooterinAB
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: [HoE] "Shelter power" or "Showing up with Reply with quote

Fuzyfeet wrote:
This is a past time of mine (and Snap_Dragon's) too. Isn’t it a fun waste of time?

Hell. I spent like, 7 hours yesterday making devices and thinking about Junkers.

I like your suggestion for folding. When you are dealing with anything around size 4 or 5 (as the original would be), you're looking at vehicle mounting or storage anyways. At least with "divide by 3," you can still make a small, carryable shelter.

I keep trying to use Shelter, but it keeps not making any sense to. Again, aside from the really nice mechanic for measuring the space.

Me thinks that Shelter would have been errata'ed if anyone actually used it. Not to sound harsh, but most things I'd heard Junkers building were the staple car, armor, and 12 guns. Very low on the utility side of the powers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: Hell on Earth & Lost Colony All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: