Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Inverse

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MadTinkerer
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:32 pm    Post subject: Inverse Reply with quote

I've had an idea for a Savage Setting brewing in my mind for a while now. All of the details and many of the major features have undergone severe mutation throughout the process, but I think I've settled on some essential concepts (and finally a NAME) that I'm happy with.

Like a bunch of other Savage Settings, the world was once a typical D&D-esque fantasy world. Humans, Elves, Dwarves, Dragons, Magic Items and all that good Toolkit/Companion stuff. Then the entire planet was literally turned inside out ("Inverted") to avoid a Class 5 Apocalypse, and, understandably, things have never been the same since.

1000 years later, the concept of a solid spherical (or flat, for that matter,) world has passed into legend. A glowing sphere in the middle of The World serves as the home of the gods as well as an artificial Sun and Moon, dimming and brightening on a 24-hour cycle. Stars are considered to be superstitious nonsense, like fairies, because everyone knows the lights in the "sky" are just street lamps on the other side of the world.

A dark age that lasted a few centuries was followed by a technological and magical renaissance that eventually led to something resembling modern civilization. There are no "pure blooded" non-humans left, though characters can still take Background Edges called "Elven Heritage" and "Gnomish Heritage". I haven't decided on the names yet, but there's a fairly diverse variety of civilizations and uncivilized areas for protagonists to travel through.

Because a proper Industrial Age as we know it was impossible (smoky factories would have quickly choked the entire world to death), handmade items are still common. Because of the magical renaissance, magically enhanced versions of consumer goods are available on the open market, though expensive and usually custom-made. Guns are available, but normal-quality guns will jam on a 1 on a Shooting roll (this rule is subject to change, but it's the best I've come up with so far to slightly "nerf" firearms without making them useless).

There are no Arcane Backgrounds. Everyone (other than one race I'll detail later) has 10 Power Points. Those Power Points can be used to power Alchemical Transmutations, Magitech devices, and Arcane Techniques. Alchemical Transmutations are sort-of a cross between Alchemy from the Toolkits and Alchemy from Fullmetal Alchemist. Magitech Devices are similar to Weird Science or Enchanted devices, except that they draw Power Points from the user's personal pool of points (and are much easier/cheaper to craft, similar to Artificer items). Arcane Techniques are special Edges that are a cross between a Power Edge and a Combat Edge: each Technique is a Power that uses an Attribute instead of a Arcane Skill and most are limited to targeting the user.

The Everyone-Has-Power-Points mechanic has a few other features: Magitech Prosthetics are available that negate the disadvantages of permanent injuries but are passively powered by the user's PP. Anyone can take the Power Points Edge. Certain monsters have attacks that can drain a hero's PP and vice-versa with the right magitech device. Automatons are people with artificially-reconstructed bodies who have a much lower PP pool (Construct Edge).

Anyway, those are the basics of the setting. I have a few ideas for how a Plot Point campaign as well as general adventures would go. I also have a good idea of the Big Secrets like why the world wasn't put back the way it was supposed to and how accurate the official history is (what lies outside the world? What happens if someone digs down far enough? Hmmmm...). Does this sound like a setting you'd like to run or play in?

Check out Mad Tinkerer Dot Org!
Zombi Bobb
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A possible source for ideas for this is the game Providence (table-top RPG by a company called XID Creative from the 90's). It's about a world like yours, only its a prison for its inhabitants who are the losers of a war from another dimension. After living there for so many generations, they need to start looking for a way out as ocean levels and lavas flows start filling the sphere.
MadTinkerer
Legendary

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, the major influences for the setting come from:

Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy VIII
Parts of the worlds of FFX & FFXII (Especially Zanarkand, Rabanastre, & Archades)
The Orbital Colonies of the Gundam series
Scrapped Princess
Fullmetal Alchemist
Metropolis
Slayers (sort of)
Megazone 23 (sort of)
The Deathgate Cycle (sort of)
Shadowrun (sort of)
Feng Shui (sort of)
The Matrix (sort of)
And numerous "individual bits" from various sci fi and fantasy shows & games.

("Sort of" means that there are major elements which definitely would not appear in the Inverse, such as mecha or medieval architecture, but the series/game shares some of the major themes.)

Zombi Bobb wrote:
It's about a world like yours, only its a prison for its inhabitants who are the losers of a war from another dimension. After living there for so many generations, they need to start looking for a way out as ocean levels and lavas flows start filling the sphere.

The World is so big that there's plenty to do, and no one considers it to be a prison. It's not the way things were "supposed to be" though it's been so long that everyone's gotten used to it and the whole thing is pretty stable. The problem is not that there's any visible disaster to rally everyone, like in Evernight or 50 Fathoms. The problem is that everyone is fine with the way things are and if, say, Cthulhu was sitting out the outside of The World and slowly digging his way in, no one would know until it's too late...

Check out Mad Tinkerer Dot Org!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: