Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Phantom Fingers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: The Weird West
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Ben
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:55 pm    Post subject: Phantom Fingers Reply with quote

How does it work if you try to lift a person, smash them against walls, knock over moving steam wagons, punch people, etc. Is there an attack roll? If so does it use the hexslinging roll or fighting(phantom fingers) or something else?

Last session the huxster was being chased by steam wagons (open topped) and wanted to pick it up and flip it over so it landed on the people who were riding in it.... no idea how to resolve that. Obviously you'd need a flush or full house to do it, but is it as simple as merely getting that good of a hand... ?
oddtail
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say the effect is automatic. If someone tries to resist it, I'd call for an opposed roll of Strength versus the Huckster's Spirit (with really large bonuses for better hands). For steam wagons, it'd probably be Spirit against Drivin'. Say, a Success makes the driver lose control over the vehicle, a Raise makes it crash into an obstacle, and two Raises flips it upside down.

Then again, I don't think I'd allow the use of Phantom Fingers for overt, damage-dealing attacks (but smashing someone against a wall and, say, forcing them to make a Vigor check would be OK. Or pushing them off a cliff and letting sweet, sweet gravity do the job). Although I admit, imitating Vader's Force Choke *would* be kinda neat Wink.

If the Hex is used to chuck stuff at people, I'd use... say... Throwin': Unbalanced, but based on Spirit instead of Deftness. And dealing damage appropriate for the object thrown.

That's my take on the Hex.
Lord Ben
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess with a pace of smarts the generic speed of whatever you throw is going to be awfully weak. That's the hangup for me. Even if they have an awesome spirit it's still not even the running speed of a typical cowboy. How much would it really do to throw someone against a wall at 10mph?... not much.

And what's the strength of a 40mph steam wagon?
oddtail
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Ben wrote:
And what's the strength of a 40mph steam wagon?

oddtail wrote:
For steam wagons, it'd probably be Spirit against Drivin'. Say, a Success makes the driver lose control over the vehicle, a Raise makes it crash into an obstacle, and two Raises flips it upside down.

thepilk
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, the smarts pace really takes the wind out of someones sails who just wants to play Force Unleashed with his huckster.

and its not really in the spirit of the hex to use it for "punching" someone. the closest thing to this i could think of would be to lift them directly up and then drop them back to the ground for a little bit of falling damage but thats about it.
jamiemalk
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
if they have an awesome spirit it's still not even the running speed of a typical cowboy

Average speed of 6 gives a running speed of 12, awesome spirit...

Now personally, i'd say picking someone up and repeatedly smashing them in to the wall at "running" speed would do damage. Every slam doing the differace in the "strength" of the slam and a vigor check. Also i had an NPC huckster do this once to a ghoul, mostly to give the posse the idea that he was not a nice guy. Nothing says badass like a bloody pulp on the wall/ceiling/floor Twisted Evil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: The Weird West All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: