Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Untrained skill checks.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rambling Scribe wrote:
I'm reading it that Blogotron is penalizing the bonus die on an ace roll with an additional -2, so rolling a 4 with -2 and another 4 with another -2 and then a 3 with yet another -2 ends up with a net result of 5.

If so, that would definitely make unskilled checks a lot harder!

But perhaps I am misreading the situation.

Ah, that is a possibility I didn't consider. That may indeed be the reference.

www.peginc.com
Blogotron
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok..so Aces do not suffer the same penalty that the trait roll suffered? Ok, that makes it far easier in theory than I was thinking. So its a -2 to the Total rather than to each roll of the die. Oh and for die roll examples I am using a Non-wild Card NPC as an example, for simplicity's sake. I was not requiring both the wild and the trait die to be a 4 or above to count as a success. That took two sessions to describe to my group and I still have to remind them to roll the Wild die. Do all Gms whine this much about their players? I love'em, i really do Wink .

Well in any case As I said, in this game Party self sufficiency is pretty damned important. Think Polish or French resistance during WWII where even if the local's could be trusted if the collusion were discovered the non-resistance would be held accountable. Yeah. Its a grim setting.

I suppose I am not complaining about the mechanic as presented but rather trying to find a mechanic that would not be so prone to failure for PCs who have little access to allies, magical weapons/potions, or magical healing. Sorry that I did not make myself clear before we ran onto page two of this topic.
SlasherEpoch
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the mechanic you're looking for is "someone needs to take a d4 in Healing with their next level..."

Evil Wig Enterprises Minion #15 - "The
Machete"
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blogotron wrote:
Ok..so Aces do not suffer the same penalty that the trait roll suffered? Ok, that makes it far easier in theory than I was thinking. So its a -2 to the Total rather than to each roll of the die.

Yeah, that's a big difference. Any modifiers are applied after adding up an aced roll.

Blogotron wrote:
I suppose I am not complaining about the mechanic as presented but rather trying to find a mechanic that would not be so prone to failure for PCs who have little access to allies, magical weapons/potions, or magical healing.

You could just simply remove the patient's wound penalties if you want skilled Healing to be more capable. As it is, barring interruption, they have 5-6 potential healing skill rolls before the golden hour is up. Even going with 5 rolls and having just a d4 in healing, on average two of those rolls would heal 1 wound and 1 of them would heal two wounds.

Other than that, it isn't really that they don't have access, but that they have to take advantage of the access they have (getting a d4 in Healing). Heck, as someone else mentioned, I'd allow them to rework the character if they wanted. I mean, if they had an average Smarts d6 and dropped one skill bought above an Attribute one die type, they could get a d6 in Healing in a snap.

www.peginc.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: