Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

F!F!F! Conversion- Alien

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DeMyztikX
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:01 pm    Post subject: F!F!F! Conversion- Alien Reply with quote

This might belong in the session stories section, but since it was specifically dealing with an easy conversion I thought it would fit in well here.

This is really not a conversion but a guide to how to make an impressive surprise for your players especially when your players are fans of the Alien franchise of movies (and novels and comics). It's made taking Fast, Fun and Furious to the extreme. We made it and played it fast. We all had fun. The action was heart pounding and furious until the last moment.
I hope this inspires others as much as it inspired me and my players (I actually had players swearing at me after a while- in a good way). This hooked my players on Savage Worlds.

I first got the SWXE a few weeks ago. My longest time gamer friend came over for our weekly game and I wanted to explain the rules to him. We loved it and I explained how easy converting a setting could be in this system. Ten minutes later we had an idea ready to go. Yes, ten minutes. We pretty much got rid of all our other games (L5R, DnD, Dark Heresy, WoD, etc.).

For starters we needed to define a few things about the setting. Space game, on board a ship, pretty simple. I told them they were going to be a mining scout crew on a small ship- they would need a pilot, navigator, that sort of thing. Of course the ship handled most of these things, they just gave them a background. This is of course mimicking the first movie, for the second I would have told them hi-tech marines or space colonists or the 3rd would have been prison colony people. One player already knew, he was the Burke. He knew what was going to happen and what he needed to do.
For a background we did a quick little "what did you do" I had military, Miners and one corperate. I had them roll a related trait or skill modified by their Charisma. The Pilot made a pilot roll and did fairly well, I gave him a low officer rank. The gun bunny of the group got a poor military role, but due to military I gave him a high NCO ranking. The corperate rolled insanely high (acing a few times). He was the Commanding Officer on the ship. I had them do something similar for piloting license.

For the alien I wanted it fairly easy to battle, but tough enough to kill them all. After all, I knew they wouldn't live, they knew quickly they wouldn't live, but I wanted them to have a fighting chance. Dire Wolves from the SWXE made into a wild card. It would easily do what a lone alien needed to do. Kill a lone low level character. Boost the stealth and no one stands a chance.

I gave them a ship, a mission, and a corperate dummy (an NPC to hide the PC mole and to spawn the first alien). They "found" a piece of wreckage it was a cargo hold from a ship named the "Nostro" The mole decided he better look up the salvage rights on the hulk. Obviously it was a wreckage of the "Nostromo" which was his mission.
They took off to explore and salvage the ship. One player stayed behind and manned the ship and keep an eye on their head cams.
Corp PC sent the NPC to check out where the real cargo was supposed to be. He found it. No one knew what was going on except my mole and me.
They tried saving the NPC, failed. Once the thing bust out of his chest and took into the vents I started hearing the praises of "Oh God. Damn you Will" etc. I'll leave it a little clean.
Then it just had to hunt them down when they went off on their own or left someone "safe." They tried to get the escape shuttle prepped but for some reason, one of the remaining crew went to find something (I think it was the face hugger corpse for some reason). That left two living members, one working on the computer to get the launch set and one other doing something.
Of course one died, the other made it off the ship, alien is still alive somewhere. I gave him a full 5XP for the ordeal, with more Savage Worlds under my belt, he deserves a little more. I went in knowing one person would survive, but didn't pick who.

It's a simple one shot adventure that can lead to a full campaign with one person being the "Ripley" of the next adventure. We could really do a while mini-campaign with Marines and such.

For a swarm of drones using the Wolf stats is more than enough. Maybe stick with the dire wolf for the more advanced aliens. Only make them wild cards if you're feeling really mean.

This whole thing required a few minutes of prep but had a ton of wow factor. That's what I love about this system. It inspires me to create and inspired my players to fall into the setting. I only had to yell at one player "you don't know that, your character hasn't seen the movie" and I think only one or two times. Since then we've been playing a plot point setting which is working out very well with my busy life around the holidays. If anyone tries this out with their group please let me know.

Last edited by DeMyztikX on Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
zeth
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, they already made a full fledged alien VS Predator VS Space Marine setting for free look it up in links for free downloads.
DeMyztikX
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not totally the point. The issue was I wanted something that was an exemplary model of the Fast, Fun and Furious, and I did that for my players and myself very quickly. This wasn't about combat, it was about horror. It wasn't about detail, it was about fun. There are a lot of things that this was, but trying to be a full fledged AvP game this was not.

I got my first Dungeons and Dragons box set seventeen years ago. I haven't stopped since then. However I have NEVER been so inspired or had such an easy time running a session like this EVER. Hell characters alone took a few minutes for our group using nothing but stuff right out of the core book. Almost everything was RAW SWXE.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Sherman
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done! Hell of a fun system.
www.gryphongamesandcomics.com
Renny
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inspirational story right there and why I love this game. I must tell you about Savage Thunderbirds (i.e Gerry Anderson puppet show) some time.

Currently 99% Savage and proud !
daran
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Renny wrote:
Inspirational story right there and why I love this game. I must tell you about Savage Thunderbirds (i.e Gerry Anderson puppet show) some time.

Have you converted Fireball XL5, Supercar, Stingray, Joe 90 and Captain Scarlet too? I'd like to hear about your Thunderbirds SW conv.

Shhh! It's a secret!

irishvince
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Savage Thunderbirds

ahahahahah you need a ball of string to play this one... and Your character's mouth have to move out of sync with what they are actually saying.

On an other note : Savage Team America (anyone ?)
Renny
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daran wrote:

Have you converted Fireball XL5, Supercar, Stingray, Joe 90 and Captain Scarlet too? I'd like to hear about your Thunderbirds SW conv.

Not yet Surprised It started as a "Savage Challenge" . The challenge to my group was to pick any setting and i'd run a game using Savage Worlds set there. After much bickering they settled on Thunderbirds. I did write ups for The Tracy's, Lady P, the Hood and so on. I then ran a game which actually turned out to be one of the best we've played in a long while. In a nutshell, there were three disasters to deal with and an underlying scheme by an old enemy to find the location of Tracy Island.

You can look at the writeups of the characters here if you're interested.
Bear in mind these were created just using the Explorer's Edition are meant to be playable but by no means definitive.

DeMyztikX
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome, Renny. Sounds like you kind of had the same idea as me. I've fallen in love with this game. I love the mechanics. I love the feel. I pretty much love everything about it so far. I'm sure eventually I'll find a flaw, but so far I have no clue where.
daran
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Renny wrote:
You can look at the writeups of the characters here if you're interested.

That is fantastic, now all we have to do is to work out a way to involve the word "Supermarionation" in gameplay for extra bennies!

Shhh! It's a secret!

Lord Lance
Heroic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kudos for your "Out of the Box" adventures!!! Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green
Renny
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the kind words. Going back to the OP's point, though, what both examples show is how I find Savage Worlds liberating as a ruleset. I'm not afraid of trying these kind of one off games, in genres that you might be normally tempted to avoid. Even though I never intended to run Thunderbirds as a campaign or long running game, it was a lot of fun for those two sessions.

Bewildered Badger
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeMyztikX, that looks like a great game! Simple and fun, as SW should be.

Renny I love your Thunderbirds conversions. As a purist though, I must dispute your giving Brains the name 'Hiram K. Hackenbacker'. This was never intended to be the characters real name, only an alias he used in one episode. His real name was never mentioned in the series.
Of course the live action movie did use it as his real name, but if we were to list all the errors from that film we'd be here till next Christmas!
DeMyztikX
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I hear Tour of Darkness has some good rules in it for when I run a bit longer of a campaign based on Aliens. Of course I have to wait until we're done with the new NE book before we can do that. Of course we have to fit it in before the reprint of Evernight comes out. Apparently I just have to buy everything and add in another day or two of gaming a week.
Boldfist
Heroic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeMyztikX wrote:
Apparently I just have to buy everything and add in another day or two of gaming a week.

Speaking from experience, this only makes the thirst for more Savage Worlds greater. Once you start down the path... forever will it dominate your calendar.
DeMyztikX
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really, I had been gaming for about 11 years fairly heavily. In high school I played just about every day. I was really big into Legend of the Five Rings (Still one of my favorites) but never have I really wanted to run a game so much. Dungeons and Dragons certainly never did this for me. Dark Heresy gets me wanting to play a bit, but when no one can either afford or find any of the books, it makes it hard. I bought 3 copies and another player bought 2, so we're set. I have one copy of NE preordered and I might have another player wanting to get one at least (maybe not with the Plot Point campaign in the back). I desperately want Evernight and Tour of Darkness and Weird War II and Deadlands (I've always secretly wanted to play deadlands since I first heard of it) and Necropolis (this one sounds REALLY awesome) and really I'm just kind of obsessed with all of the games offered. The rules are a hell of a lot easier than some others I know of. I love it.
Renny
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bewildered Badger wrote:
I must dispute your giving Brains the name 'Hiram K. Hackenbacker'... His real name was never mentioned in the series.

Shhh. Don't tell the players. To be honest, I didn't pick up on that so thanks for the info.

jeff
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dare you to Savage "Clutch Cargo"!
Renny
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not heard of it but never say never. Mr. Green

DeMyztikX
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minor post script to my adventures in savage world with my group, we're making a guide to our home brew campaign/universe. We're currently working on a PDF of the prologue. We're exploring options but we're trying to fully stat out everything and I'll be supplying my plot point campaign leading to the birth of the setting. When we have something to show for it I'll make a new thread and hopefully make weekly updates on the project. Unfortunately as one of my friends doing most of the works in a tax office and this is a bit of a busy time for him we'll probably move fairly slow until summer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: