Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[Classic] How do Legend Chips work?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: The Weird West
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkrose50
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:49 pm    Post subject: [Classic] How do Legend Chips work? Reply with quote

[Iíll dig up quotes, and page numbers later. I need to run out the door.]

Okay from what I can remember there are two kinds of legend chips.

1. Tale-Telling: given out to the player who told the story after lowering an areas fear.
2. Standard: Beating the bad guy at the end of the story.

When do Legend Chips go back in the pot?

1. Tale-Telling: Always go away (never become part of the pot) after being used.
2. Standard: They start in the pot, usually go back into the pot, and only go away if used for a re-roll.

Do I have this right?
R2Q2
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I remember it well, the posse gets only a Legend Chip by defeating the FEARMONGER, not just the bad guy.
A successful tale-telling roll only reduces the locale fear level (which requires the killing of the fearmonger).
After the posse has killed a fearmonger, the Legend Chip starts in the pot. If the Marshall draws that chip, he has to return it into the pot. Only heroes can use them, and then they are gone.
Thatís the Hell on Earth version, I am not sure if the Weird West uses a little different system.
oddtail
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

darkrose: yes, you're basically right. After an adventure, a Legend Chip is awarded for the adventure, AND you have an option to lower the Fear Level by means of Tale-Telling if you defeated an Abomination or something along thesel lines and thus restored faith and courage in common folks. Or somesuch.

Also:

In the Revised rules, the Legend Chip is awarded after the adventure, if the Marshall thinks it should be so. The concept of "fearmongers" was given up. Now it's basically - the adventure is finished, the GM may or may not put a Legend in the pot.

I used to put a Legend into the pot after every single adventure, but it led to many, many chips accumulating. In longer campaigns, I find, it's better to put a Legend Chip into the pot after every MAJOR, and successful, adventure. Unless you introduce any ways for Legend Chips to disappear permanently, which I actually did in my previous campaign. In the current one, no such thing is needed - since I allow rerolling ANYthing with a Legend Chip, that option gets much use by the players.
darkrose50
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mostly I want to know when a Legend chip goes (back) in the pot, and when it does not.
Fuzyfeet
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In DL Revised (page 147), it's removed from the pot if it is used to reroll any roll.

In HoE (page 172) any time it's used you roll a die and if it's odd it's removed, even it's put back in the pot.

In DL Reloaded (page 126), once it is used it is gone.

Just my $0.02

My Deadlands sites
The Lynchburg Journal
The Junkyard Intranet
The Temptation Reportl
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: The Weird West All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: