Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Interface Power (ex NE)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steelbrok
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:58 am    Post subject: Interface Power (ex NE) Reply with quote

The Interface power from Necessary Evil allows a +4 modifier to rolls involving computers and other electronics

Would you give a bonus to something like a Piloting roll if the pilot is jacked into the flight computer?
supercOntra
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd allow it if you have total control through the computer. Like smart chipped hardware in cyberpunk
steelbrok
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the type of scenario I was thinking of but +4 seems a very powerful bonus.....maybe the character should suffer psychosomatic wounds if the ship is hit or something?
DaRealJudas
Seasoned

Location: Officially Bremen, Germany but mostly my own little world inside my head (soo peaceful & pretty)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steelbrok wrote:
That's the type of scenario I was thinking of but +4 seems a very powerful bonus.....maybe the character should suffer psychosomatic wounds if the ship is hit or something?

You can handle things like that with Fatigue.
Maybe an extended usage of the power becomes very tiring too and the pilot suffers one level of Fatigue for one hour after he has "locked off".
Although I wouldn’t let him get the +4 bonus for onboard weapon systems. If these systems have a built-in bonus (targeting system or something similar) than use that one instead.
jamused
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't, or Interface becomes a universal modifier to anything that could plausibly have a computer control it. Instead I'd allow the Interface to give a +4 to the roll to interface with the computer that's controlling the system (whether it's a fighter jet, a nuclear power plant, or a coffee-maker), but all that does is allow you to use the relevant skill (Pilot, Repair, Common Knowledge) via the computer interface instead of by manually punching buttons and so forth. Certain systems might be built so you have to have the Interface power to "jack in" (no manual controls), but I'd still require that you use the relevant skill without any special bonus. If you want fly-by-thought fighters to be better than regular ones, give the bonus to the equipment, e.g. in the form of a Handling bonus.
Poor Wandering One
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamused wrote:
. "...If you want fly-by-thought fighters to be better than regular ones, give the bonus to the equipment, e.g. in the form of a Handling bonus.

Or buy edges/powers/stats that can only be used when chipped in. For example normally you have a d4 agility but when you are plugged into vehicle or weapon system you have a d10 or even d12. I think NE has rules for this somewhere......
steelbrok
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting discussion

The power is being used in a Traveller (ish) conversion and I eventually went for the allowing Interface to be taken but only granting a blanket +2 to those systems that are equipped for computer control (so no shooting bonus for a rifle but you would get one for firing a starship laser)
The down side is that there is prejudice against cybernetics and revealing an Interface would subject the character to this

There is a second edge (Synchronised) that allows the +4 bonus and allows two computer controlled actions to be taken without a MAP
The Synchronised are constantly (and unconsciously) sending information back to the shadowy Controllers however and risk the implanting of “suggestions”
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: