Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DLR: Starting a new campaign

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: The Weird West
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skylion
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:55 pm    Post subject: DLR: Starting a new campaign Reply with quote

Actually, I think I am going to be running Coffin Rock; I have to wait to get the book before I decide whether it is my cup o' java.

As it is, I have more than enough Classic material to go with, or failing that my own fevered imagination.

But, I wanted to get feedback on AB's.

I want to add some stuffs from the Tookits.

Artificing from Fantasy, also known as Tinkering in Pulp and Slipstream looks ready made for Mad Scientists.
Would giving Hucksters access to Alchemy as written from Fantasy be too far out of line? They could conceivably empower a Playing card with a Hex for a friend too use. Should it be limited to their own personal PP? Or could they use Deal with the Devil for this?
I want to say leave it at their own PP, but that can leave open them making a Charm of some sort and wanting to wait around for the PP to recharge.

I plan on working on some Spirit Guides for Shamans as well. But will post those ideas later as it is just an idea now.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have any answers, but I second your questions... interesting stuff.
Lord Skudley
Heroic

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:02 am    Post subject: Re: DLR: Starting a new campaign Reply with quote

skylion wrote:
Would giving Hucksters access to Alchemy as written from Fantasy be too far out of line? They could conceivably empower a Playing card with a Hex for a friend too use.

The problem I see with that idea is that the user of the Card would have to have the same Arcane Skill as the caster:

Fantasy Gear Tool Kit wrote:
Scrolls: Scrolls are created in the same way as potions with just one difference—the user must use his own Arcane Skill to activate the power and it must be the same type as the creator’s. Once used, the writing fades and the scroll turns to dust.

Nonetheless I still like that idea. I would have the user make a Knowledge: Occult roll to activate the Card, a failure would be bad, but a bust would be very BAAAAAAD say a roll on the backlash table for the user…!

skylion wrote:
Should it be limited to their own personal PP? Or could they use Deal with the Devil for this?

I’d make the Huxter Deal with the Devil every time he wishes to enchant a card, mainly because I'm a mean Marshal, but I also feel that the "Alchemy" skill is a tad outside of the norm for the average Huxter therefore the cost to make it should be a little riskier.

skylion wrote:
I want to say leave it at their own PP, but that can leave open them making a Charm of some sort and wanting to wait around for the PP to recharge.

Isn’t that the point of this skill? It is for that reason I think that a Deal with the Devil is a good way to give the Huxter pause before he creates Cards willy-nilly.
skylion
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Skud.

After I slept on it, I came to similar conclusions. However I am confused as to your last point. Which point are you referring too?
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is alchemy rules for MS's, can't you just apply them to a huxster too?
Wiggy
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: DLR: Starting a new campaign Reply with quote

Lord Skudley wrote:
skylion wrote:
Would giving Hucksters access to Alchemy as written from Fantasy be too far out of line? They could conceivably empower a Playing card with a Hex for a friend too use.

The problem I see with that idea is that the user of the Card would have to have the same Arcane Skill as the caster:

Alchemy (Toolkit version) effectively creates a spell but holds the result in stasis. The creator would roll for casting when creating the card. All the end user has to do is release the spell in some manner, perhaps by flicking it, to invoke the already-known effect.
skylion
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Ben wrote:
There is alchemy rules for MS's, can't you just apply them to a huxster too?

It's not quite the same. The Mad's version is essentially a half reduction in PP price, and no Huckster is ever going to get that bargain from the Hunting Grounds. Fair? Probably not. But you play what is dealt you.
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other ideas.

I was thinking about porting Dave Blewer's Blessings over from Sundred Skies. Essentially, this is a one off +1 bonus that any Priest in that setting can grant for a PP, as long as they know the Smite Power. Give that too the Shamans, and you have some nice little Medicine trinkets.

Speaking of Shamans. This is the earlier idea I mentioned above. Spirit Guides/Guardian Sprits (I've yet to settle on the name). Actually I had the idea some time ago, but I shelved it.

Shamans can take Wizard, called Spiritual Favour. Novice, AB Shamanism Smarts d8+, Tribal Medicine d6+, Spirit d8+

Guardian Spirits

Guardian Spirits are specialized Edges allowing the shaman to either save on power points, or gain bonus to specific rolls. Like Knacks, Guardian Spirit Edges run on spent Fate Chips of the various types or colors. They also grant Powers not normally available to Shamans, or with some Guardians, new powers , called Broader Paths (many of which are found in the Fantasy World Builder Toolkit)

All Guardian Spirit Edges:
Requirements: Seasoned, Spiritual Favour,Tribal Medicine d10+

I could lower the Tribal Medicine Score to d8, but the powers these edges grant are fairly significant. I can take very little credit for most of the write up I did, as I cadged it from Ghost Dancers (Classic DL Shamans splat book).

For example:

Bear
Requirements: Guardian Spirit plus Boost/Lower Trait, Healer, Healing Power

White: Grants Boost Strength using Spirit instead of Tribal Medicine. No power points are spent, otherwise the same as Boost Trait, called Strength of the Bear
Red: May use the Healing Power without spending power points. Called Waking from Deep Sleep.
Blue: Called Scratching the Bears Back. Recharges two power points.

Bears Broader Path: the shaman may now pick one of the following Powers when he has an advancement.
Back to Nature, Tempest (called Call Weather), Hunch (called Commune), Heal Madness, Earth Speak

Back to Nature
Power Points: 6
Range: Touch
Duration:3 (2)
Trappings: shaman must touch and grunt at the Gizmo in question.
This favour calls upon the spirits to break down any Weird Science Gizmo. The wielder of the Gizmo gets an extra die when operating the device. He must use the lower of the two dice.

Heal Madness

Power Points: 5
Duration: Permanent
Trapping: Sweat Lodge Ritual for at least one night.
This favour allows the shaman to help another character cure his mental illness.
It does not heal the madness outright, but begins the process in the characters
mind. The character may now use an advancement to remove one Dementia.
No roll is required other than both the shaman and the mad character being in
a Sweat Lodge for full period of sunset to sunrise.

Earth Speak

Power Points: Varied, see below
Duration: Concentration
Trappings: A full round to think of the quarry.
This favour calls upon the spirits of the Earth to guide the shaman along the path
to her quarry. Unlike many powers, the shaman does not have to see the target to
use this Power.
Each point spent, either one or two, grants the shaman either a +1 or +2 respectively to his Trackin'
roll for that quarry. If the shaman gets a raise on his tribal medicine roll, double the bonus. He must
declare how many points he is spending before he rolls.

Or

Coyote
Requirements: as with Guardian Spirit, Boost/Lower Trait, Smarts d8+, Elemental Manipulation, Air, Dispel

White: Grants Lower Agility, using Spirit instead of Tribal Medicine. No power points are spent, otherwise the same as Lower Trait, called clumsiness. Also, can be used for Dispel.
Red: Spend to win your next Smarts or Smarts based skill automatically. If an opposed roll, it doesn't matter what the other side rolls, they always lose.
Blue: Called Coyote Laughs, recharge two power points

Coyote Broader Path:the shaman may now pick one of the following Powers when he has an advancement.
Confuse the Mind, Illusion (called Open Trickster Bag), Invisibility (called Noseeum), Telekinesis (called Spirit Hands), and Coyote's Fold

Coyote's Fold
Power Points: none, Blue Chip
Range: Self
Duration: 24 hours

This is an interesting Power/favour. The shaman in question may ignore at least one tenant from the Old Ways vow for the Duration. He may not drink alcohol, nor use a Weird Science Gizmo, but he could ride a train or stage, stay overnight in a house or settlement, or use a firearm. Every time he would break a vow, he must tell a joke, or laugh out loud, play a practical joke, or do something equally foolish. This pleases Coyote, and he shields the shaman from the Great Spirits view. The Marshall is the final judge on how this power is used.

I have write ups for Owl and Spider, but I consider them the weaker of the bunch. For instance, for a Blue Chip, the Spider Shaman can use Deal with the Devil. I had no real game reason to come up with this, and the balance of it can be a tricky issue. It just sounds darn cool.

Thanks again for feedback. Merry Christmas if we talk after the 25th.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: The Weird West All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: