Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Deadlands - OO Gauge Railroad Terrain Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: The Weird West
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Baron
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:54 am    Post subject: Deadlands - OO Gauge Railroad Terrain Question Reply with quote

For Gen Con this year, I'm running a 2-game tournament of Deadlands. When it comes to Gen Con, I think that the games should really take on a special feeling, the GM should go above and beyond the call of duty because let's face it....the players have to pay to play our games on top of paying to enter the convention.

So I am wanting to provide a scaled old west town. Since I have plenty of months ahead, I could probably start building it from scratch with foamcore and painting it...

But who has time for that? I am wanting to purchase OO Gauge (I believe that's the old Pinnacle Deadlands mini's scale...) of Old West buildings instead. More expensive, but less time for my busy schedule.

Any of you railroad hobbyists? Looking for websites that you may already have bookmarked that have buildings for sale at OO gauge that are more of an Old West theme.
Heroic

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't OO equivalent to HO scale??? And wouldn't that be too tiny???

I've always heard that O or S scale are more compatible with 28mm miniatures.
Baron
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm Well now I'm not sure haha. I may have read it wrong on the Wiki. I see O scale more than OO around here in Oklahoma. Would be nicer.

I think you're right. O Scale is slightly larger than 28mm but closer than OO.
Heroic

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep O scale is what you want. It's between 1:43 and 1:48 scale. Bigger than the old 25mm but just about right for "heroic" size of the new clix scale figures and most of the 28mm Wizards figures. Along with the growing popularity of 32mm. 1:48 is 1-1/4" or 32mm. Since 1" equals two yards in Savage Worlds this is a bit large but no one seems to mind in the games I run and play in.

What figures are you using with it?

Alternatively, you may want to talk with Evil Mike & Chaos Steve since they had a full 4' x 6' old west layout for Con on the Cob this year. They may be able to provide some tips and/or ideas where to get 28mm old west buildings?
Boldfist
Heroic

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just reread this...

You probably don't want S scale/gauge as that is 1:64 and I'd use it for "true" 25mm figures only. And HO is 1:87 and is WAY too small unless you are using 15mm figures?

So I guess it all depends on the size of the figures you are using?
Baron
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using figs from the Great Rail Wars/Deadlands. Found a bunch of them at Jeff Valent's website (http://www.jeffvalentstudios.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=10).

I was thinking the old Deadlands figs were 28mm, but they may be 25...can't remember.
Heroic

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The GRW stuff (for the most part) is 28mm+ (some push 32mm) (I've painted quite a lot of them).
Baron
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nevermind, I found Eric Hotz's Whitewash City. He has a bunch of PDFs of paper-fold buildings. Not nearly as cool but easier to transport and cheaper.

Gotta drive all this stuff up to Gen Con; taking a bunch of O scale buildings would take up a ton of space in the car.
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Deadlands - OO Gauge Railroad Terrain Question Reply with quote

Locally (down in Kissimmee, I think), there's a company called "Sci-Fi Supply," which makes various vacu-form building and wall texture sets. In particular, I've seen some local game stores with "wild west" buildings in their collections, from the "Hangman's Gulch" line.

Here's a link to a page showing pictures of some of those buildings:

http://www.netwide.net/users/itchy/sfsupply/hangmans.htm

I've had trouble finding online suppliers, though. Here's one entry I found on Noble Knight that prices the Saloon at about $20:

http://www.nobleknight.com/ViewProducts.asp_Q_ProductLineID_E_2137419678_A_ManufacturerID_E_2145082625_A_CategoryID_E_5_A_GenreID_E_0

I have one "cyberpunk" building (I forget the name) from them, and a few "bitz" from other people's constructions; it's pretty flimsy stuff (you can easily cut the plastic with a pair of ordinary scissors, though a hobby knife is better for more precise work), and you pretty much need to back it up with a frame made from insulation board or foam-core illustration board (etc.) to give it any real durability for use with metal miniatures. But it still paints up nice, and the final product is fairly lightweight.
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Deadlands - OO Gauge Railroad Terrain Question Reply with quote

Jordan Peacock wrote:
Locally (down in Kissimmee, I think), there's a company called "Sci-Fi Supply," which makes various vacu-form building and wall texture sets.

Hey, Jordan. Is Sci-Fi Supply still in business? I remember buying there stuff when it first came out almost 15(!) years ago. I thought they quit making terrain many years back.

Thanks,
Ted
JerseyParagon
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Baron
I ran across a railroad set that I bought at an after Christmas sale a few years ago at Target. It was pretty cheap ($15) and came in different sets w/ two different locomotive styles and a selection of cars (coal car, flatbed, box car, passenger car, and caboose) and track. Let me know if you cannot find what you are looking for and I will see if I can scrounge one up from the attic.

I was, as well as the group I am in, a miniature gamer first and so that visual makes the game for me. If you are going to the trouble to create an awesome adventure for your players, scratch building a small town would be one of the biggest compliments you could give 'em. I know that every adventure started w/ converting up your character w/ different weapons, packs and gear. The selection of houses grew as the campaigns went by and allowed large battles at the end where the PC could take controls of a posse as well as control their character as well.

There were some articles in Wargames Illustrated by Gary Chalk building a Western Town a few years ago. Made it easy with the templates, just basic foam core like you mentioned plus putting balsa wood on the exterior as the wood planks. There are also the Cow Town western towns that were made by Ertl a while back. If you are looking for storage savers these actually fold fairly flat (except for the a-frame roof) and there is even a windmill and bunkhouse in the set.

RV
Mac
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: The Weird West All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: