Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hardboiled - London
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Licensees
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charles Phipps
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alien and Aliens are inspirations for Black Hole, so don't be TOO harsh on them.

Smile

Its' just its a nice difference between Aliens and Alien vs. Predator.
Arbor_Productions
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charles Phipps wrote:
Alien and Aliens are inspirations for Black Hole, so don't be TOO harsh on them.

Smile

Its' just its a nice difference between Aliens and Alien vs. Predator.

Harsh? Hell no. I love those two films. I was just using them as an example of why Studios make the films they normally do.

The contrast was in the action-packed eye-candy versus the more intelligent films.

The average American audience (i.e., the majority who pay for tickets) can't handle anything but escapism/eye-candy, 90% of the time.
Sitting Duck
Legendary

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charles Phipps wrote:
Lord Abaddon of Wormwood wrote:
Dresden IS so worth it. I have been reading them since they were released back when. Didn't like the tv series - why ruin perfectly good characters and ideas?

I never understood this attitude. Of course, neither did Jim Butcher who was a huge fan of the series and often commented that he was mystified by fan complaints on his forums.

I can understand those who might not care that Murphy had been de-badarseified and given the Doubting Thomas Hindrance. But personally I thought the TV version of Bob was far less annoying. And the reworking of Morgan was very welcome. But then I've always despised the Vindictive Dumbarse Cop archetype.
Ian
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reworking of Morgan was the bit that I disliked the most about the TV series as it seemed unnecessary to me and did not add that much.
Personally I prefer the development of how Harry feels about and reacts to Morgan in the books especially with the brief description of the plot of Turncoat.
Simon R Green has a certain style of writing. At the 2005 Worldcon I was in the small group which he had a session with and he admits that you should buy one of his novels, knowing exactly what to expect if you have already bought one. I would like to run a campaign which reads like the Hawk and Fisher novels.
Arbor_Productions
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian wrote:
Simon R Green has a certain style of writing. At the 2005 Worldcon I was in the small group which he had a session with and he admits that you should buy one of his novels, knowing exactly what to expect if you have already bought one.

Regurgitated narrative from one book to the next, and in some cases one chapter to the next.

That's exactly why I stopped reading him, unfortunately. I know exactly what to expect from him.
bigsteveuk
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you ~$%~~ mad....

Quote:
League Of Extraordinary Gentleman was a crappy movie, but it was better than the book. From Hell was a *much* better movie than the book

The first two League books are awesome and some of the best stuff I have ever read. The film sucks and is nothing like the story it was based on. To be fair apparently they couldn't get the rights to Fu-Manchu.

From Hell yet again an outstanding novel and terrible film. Though the film was visually stunning.

I just wish when people converted Graphics to Movies they actually read and understood the content. Though from the more recent release I think they are learning. If the comic has worked for 30 years don't mess with it..Bruce Banners dad....jesus what arse came up with that!!!
Sitting Duck
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should be noted that there's a danger in being too faithful to the source material. The one that comes to mind is a BBC miniseries adaptation of The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. It was practically a word for word adaptation and it didn't really work (though the shoddy production values and the horrible performance by the actress portraying Jadis didn't help matters either).
Arbor_Productions
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sitting Duck wrote:
It should be noted that there's a danger in being too faithful to the source material. The one that comes to mind is a BBC miniseries adaptation of The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. It was practically a word for word adaptation and it didn't really work (though the shoddy production values and the horrible performance by the actress portraying Jadis didn't help matters either).

True.

Of course, I've always said, whatever Studio in Hollywood ends-up getting the bid for Autumn Arbor is probably going to make Vanguardian and Dragonfly gay lovers, make Ramirez into Everest's bastard love child, and make Stelleron a woman created by some geek with too much time on his hands.

Well . . . at least they'll pay me. #1eek13
bigsteveuk
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I have now finished the first two books of Nightside and I have to say I really like em.

Now I am not saying these a literary classics, but they have a certain charm and I found the second one very entertaining.

I love the setting and some of the places, people and things that turn up.

Personally I would check em out and if your cheap like me get them from a library and if you hate them cost you nothing but a bit of time!!

Last edited by bigsteveuk on Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Sitting Duck
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of Nightside or Dresden Files?
bigsteveuk
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nightside
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Licensees All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: