Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bull Rush / Knock Down

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ron blessing
Heroic

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:13 pm    Post subject: Bull Rush / Knock Down Reply with quote

Is there anything in the rules to cover this?

I'm not talking about Setting Rules or supplements or suggestions. Is there a way within the base rules?

Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, if insisting on staying in the "base rules," then maybe something like...

Move, grapple, continue movement for Bull Rush.
Description of an Agility Trick for a Knock Down.

Might be something else, but that's the first to come to mind.

www.peginc.com
ron blessing
Heroic

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. I clearly have to get into intent here.

I'm looking for specific stuff that will allow any character the ability to push someone, say off a cliff or into a wall. The ability to knock someone back or down, as an intention, doesn't seem to be in the core rules.

Clearly there are things with this effect available in the form of edges, like those in Modern Martial Arts (written by some hack... can't remember who puked those out Wink). But I don't think the ability to knock someone over or into something should require an edge, at least in some settings.

I guess I'm mulling a setting rule, here. But, as always, I don't want to write a setting rule to solve an issue that doesn't exist.

The move, grapple, keep moving idea for a bull rush seems reasonable, if one wants to hold on to the person they're intending to go off a cliff, but it seems a little clunky. Maybe I should have called it a Shoulder Charge?

And I suppose knocking someone down could be done through an Agility trick, though I'd argue someone with Fighting should have the choice of using Fighting rather than Agility. But that would be a Setting or House Rule, wouldn't it?

I'm rambling. Any thoughts on the above?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron Blessing wrote:
I guess I'm mulling a setting rule, here. But, as always, I don't want to write a setting rule to solve an issue that doesn't exist.

Nah, it's been brought up before, and there's nothing "official." In fact, oddly enough, it was brought up only a couple of weeks ago, and I got to thinking about it. And then this thread just got bumped a little while ago. Check this rule for "throwing" someone, though it could be effectively "knocking them down" as well.

http://www.peginc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=175607&highlight=throw#175607

As far as the "I got to thinking about it," well, I starting working on this new maneuver...

Push/Trip

As an action, the character makes a Strength or Agility roll opposed by his target's Strength or Agility (their choice). On a success, the target is moved 1" in the direction of the attacker's choice, and on a raise, they are moved 2". Any manuever, Edge, or effect that modifies Fighting damage also modifiers the Strength roll in this case (ex. a Wild Attack adds +2 to the Strength roll), and any modifier that affects Agility Tricks also modifies the Agility roll. Targets that are moved in this manner do not count as Withdrawing from Close Combat.

Something like that what you were looking for?

www.peginc.com
ron blessing
Heroic

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clint wrote:
Push/Trip

As an action, the character makes a Strength or Agility roll opposed by his target's Strength or Agility (their choice). On a success, the target is moved 1" in the direction of the attacker's choice, and on a raise, they are moved 2". Any manuever, Edge, or effect that modifies Fighting damage also modifiers the Strength roll in this case (ex. a Wild Attack adds +2 to the Strength roll), and any modifier that affects Agility Tricks also modifies the Agility roll. Targets that are moved in this manner do not count as Withdrawing from Close Combat.

Something like that what you were looking for?

That's what I was looking for. The only thing I'd consider changing is making it three choices: Strength, Agility, or Fighting. This would allow for folks that "paid extra" to raise their Fighting, and not their Agility or Strength, to not be hamstrung in this case, especially given that trained fighters should be better at this sort of thing.
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron Blessing wrote:
That's what I was looking for. The only thing I'd consider changing is making it three choices: Strength, Agility, or Fighting. This would allow for folks that "paid extra" to raise their Fighting, and not their Agility or Strength, to not be hamstrung in this case, especially given that trained fighters should be better at this sort of thing.

Eh, I was thinking that fighters that were actually trained to do this might have an Edge... perhaps by some hack. Wink

www.peginc.com
ron blessing
Heroic

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clint wrote:
Ron Blessing wrote:

Eh, I was thinking that fighters that were actually trained to do this might have an Edge... perhaps by some hack. Wink

Nice. But as a setting rule it would make sense to include Fighting. Fair enough?
Aramus Daimorgul
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might add that they add their size to the 1" or 2" back. A giant should be saying, "Batter up."
ron blessing
Heroic

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aramus Daimorgul wrote:
I might add that they add their size to the 1" or 2" back. A giant should be saying, "Batter up."

Nice. But I'd probably say half its size, rounded down, in order to avoid potential craziness.
ohoh7
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron,

There is a Bull Rush entry in the Savagepedia House Rules that you may want to check out:

http://savagepedia.wikispaces.com/Savage+Worlds+House+Rules

Paul
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron Blessing wrote:
Aramus Daimorgul wrote:

Nice. But I'd probably say half its size, rounded down, in order to avoid potential craziness.

Well, I think the giant already has enough of an advantage in that they don't take a penalty to the roll for their size, and they have such a high Strength that success is almost assured.

It's not intended to be "knockback," but a push, so basically, for such a large creature, it's like a fleshy wall pushed into the smaller opponent. Sure, they will most likely knock them down, but once they are down, they fall under the giant appendage and that's as far as they go.

If they want to move them farther, that's when the throwing option (link above) would be more appropriate (and the initial Fighting roll would incur the standard penalty for attacking a smaller opponent before Strength enters the equation).

My two cents anyway.

www.peginc.com
ron blessing
Heroic

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clint wrote:
Ron Blessing wrote:
Aramus Daimorgul wrote:

Well, I think the giant already has enough of an advantage in that they don't take a penalty to the roll for their size, and they have such a high Strength that success is almost assured.

It's not intended to be "knockback," but a push, so basically, for such a large creature, it's like a fleshy wall pushed into the smaller opponent. Sure, they will most likely knock them down, but once they are down, they fall under the giant appendage and that's as far as they go.

If they want to move them farther, that's when the throwing option (link above) would be more appropriate (and the initial Fighting roll would incur the standard penalty for attacking a smaller opponent before Strength enters the equation).

My two cents anyway.

Makes sense.
ron blessing
Heroic

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clint wrote:

So an Edge that allows a Fighting roll to replace Strength/Agility would denote special training in the Push/Trip area? Does that sound right?

I guess my only pushback (pun intended) would be that a brawler not using martial arts would have knowledge of pushing or tripping people. It might look uglier, but they should still be able to do it with the knowledge they gained in learning to fight.

Thoughts?
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron Blessing wrote:
So an Edge that allows a Fighting roll to replace Strength/Agility would denote special training in the Push/Trip area? Does that sound right?

I guess my only pushback (pun intended) would be that a brawler not using martial arts would have knowledge of pushing or tripping people. It might look uglier, but they should still be able to do it with the knowledge they gained in learning to fight.

I don't know; would they? Or would they have the higher Strength and/or Agility from being a brawler to be more likely to succeed. This isn't really a "skill" as I see it; it's a gross application of Strength or a Trick-like application of Agility.

I wouldn't directly use Fighting for this for the same reason an Agility Trick of throwing sand in someone's face woudn't use Throwing instead.

Attacks are generally set up for two rolls; contact and then effect. Using an attack skill for a direct effect (without an Edge or special ability) just feels off to me. Especially a manuever with a particular benefit in melee to begin with (push an opponent away to leave close combat without incurring an attack in return).

If a character has actually trained in fighting to push or trip people, then I see that kind of like training to Frenzy or First Strike. It's gaining an ability that isn't covered by the basic use of Fighting. For example, the Edge doesn't just allow the use of Fighting but the ability to place the target in any space adjacent to the attacker; that's a bit more of an additional benefit.

Yeah, that's more "martial arty," but if bringing this maneuver in, a similar Edge could be introduced to fit in with it more (since the Edge predates this) and fit a more "generic" fighting style.

Call it, "Momentum Mastery," and...

Whether through martial arts mastery or backroon brawl experience, this character knows how to throw opponents off-balance and leave them on the floor while maintaining his own balance. When using or resisting a Push/Trip manuever, they may use their Fighting instead of Strength or Agility, and if performing the manuever, they may choose to move the target +1" (2" on success and 3" on a raise) or have them end up Prone where they land.

I don't know. Personally, I think I'd have a Fighting requirement to get the Edge, but instead of offering the option of using Fighting, I'd give a +2 bonus to use or resist the maneuever. That's more beneficial, but it represents that the ability comes from the training in requiring it to get the Edge.

I don't know; the whole thing has to be tested anyway; it might be a bit too close to parse without that at this point.

www.peginc.com
ron blessing
Heroic

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. Your point is well taken. I will test Push/Trip and Momentum Mastery as written. More to come on this.
ron blessing
Heroic

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clint,

Do you think that the Push/Trip maneuver and the Momentum Mastery edge can live in the same world as Hi-Ya!?

I'm assuming I'd want to take your advice regarding the +2 instead of the Fighting option should I go with it.
manifold
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:06 am    Post subject: What?! Reply with quote

Quote:
in order to avoid potential craziness.

Good Lord, man! Do you know nothing of role playing games?!

Potential craziness is the air we breathe! ;p

http://manifold2.deviantart.com/
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron Blessing wrote:
Do you think that the Push/Trip maneuver and the Momentum Mastery edge can live in the same world as Hi-Ya!?

I'm assuming I'd want to take your advice regarding the +2 instead of the Fighting option should I go with it.

In that case, yeah, I think so. Momentum Mastery can make someone Prone or increase distance. Hi-YA! can make them Prone and cause a Shaken which can also cause a wound. But...

Mainly I think so specifically because Hi-YA! uses Fighting versus Fighting. That Edge would allow a character to trip an ogre by rolling against a d8 (its Fighting) instead of a d12+3 (its Strength). Size and Strength would be irrelevant to such a character.

You could in fact intertwine the two Edges and let Momentum Mastery modify Hi-YA! as well; not changing the effect of Hi-YA! but providing a +2 bonus to the opposed roll.

www.peginc.com
Ornimancer
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:14 pm    Post subject: A Trick? Reply with quote

I'm new to SW, but it seems to me that an opposed Agility (or STR) roll as a Trick is already in place as the game mechanic of choice. An example would be in a swashbuckling game where someone wants to try to push someone over or onto a table, etc.
jpk
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron Blessing wrote:
Clint wrote:

Thoughts?

Well, since this has been bumped back into my attention, I'd pushback on your pushback, Ron.

I would think a good brawler would already be using martial arts, just with rougher trappings.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: