Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Throwing People

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would you throw...
...your opponent...
69%
 69%  [ 9 ]
...or just your back out?
30%
 30%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 13

Willow
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 2:43 pm    Post subject: Throwing People Reply with quote

So, any guidelines out there on how far a character can physically throw another character? I would imagine first you'd have to grapple them, and then you'd have to throw them, but how far is too far?

(I have a scenario in mind that involves people being thrown into a pit.)
JackAce
Legendary

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's an Edge that enables you to do that in the Modern Martial Arts pdf, available (for free) here:
http://12tomidnight.com/category/downloads/

Appart from that, I'd expect, you couldn't trwo a person particularly far unless the target is completely subdued.

To throw someone into a pit, you'd probably grapple him (Fighting roll, one action), pick him up off the ground (Strength roll, second action), carry him to the rim of the pit (might take several actions depending on the distance) and then push him away from you.

Between the various steps, the target will have chances to break free from the grapple normally.

The pushing off I'd rule as if the thrower was releasing the grapple and then moving away from the target. This gives the target the oportunity for a free attack, so he can in turn grapple the thrower and keep himself from falling.
Snate56
Legendary

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That all depends on the strength of the thrower. Sly I mean, if the Hulk were to grab you and toss you over his shoulder, you won't be doing a lot of counter-attacking.
If I'm big and strong enough to pick someone up bodily and throw him even three inches (6 yrds), am I going to be considered as retreating?

SteveN
R2Keen2
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've contemplated the idea from an aikido perspective. Your not so much throwing them as redirecting their motion to send them off balance. Still I'd say its a fighting attack to grapple and maybe a fighting or throwing attempt to send them off.
SlasherEpoch
Legendary

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd consider throwing or tripping a special Grappling attack or Agility trick, and the throwee winds up Prone.

Also I house rule out that thing in the books about people rising automatically from prone. That's crap.

Evil Wig Enterprises Minion #15 - "The
Machete"
R2Keen2
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I admit it kinda defeats the purpose of knocking someone down in the first place but it does drop his parry if you throw him near an ally who could attack before it gets up.
The GIT!
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way I work it is that Throwing is a grappling based action. A success makes the opponent prone and a raise means he is also shaken.

As for a Trip attack, I basically use the Trick manoeuvre. In this case an opponent can't be shaken.

An extra house rule I added is that a prone defender who is shaken cannot get up until the shaken status is removed.

Oh - and if a prone defender wants to get up he'll have to do it on his turn and it will count as an action. May seem harsh, but that's the way I like it Savage Jack
chatterbox
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snate56 wrote:
That all depends on the strength of the thrower. Sly I mean, if the Hulk were to grab you and toss you over his shoulder, you won't be doing a lot of counter-attacking.
Sure you would, you'd be struggling. It's just that the Hulk's d12+30 strength makes it very hard to beat in a grappling roll.
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Throwing People Reply with quote

Willow wrote:
So, any guidelines out there on how far a character can physically throw another character? I would imagine first you'd have to grapple them, and then you'd have to throw them, but how far is too far?

(I have a scenario in mind that involves people being thrown into a pit.)

I'd say after the grapple, just use the same roll as for attempting damage to throw the target. A success allows you to "throw" them into any adjacent square, and a raise allows them to be thrown into a square up to 1" away.

If need be, Size difference could be added (if lower) or subtracted (if larger) from the distance. So a human could throw a Size -1 creature 1" on a success and 2" on a raise, but he would need a raise to throw a Size +1 creature even into an adjacent square. And he couldn't throw anything of Size +2 or larger at all.

Meanwhile, an Ogre (Size +3) could throw a human (Size 0) 3" on a success and 4" with a raise.

That should cover most uses I'd think.

www.peginc.com
pheylorn
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Clint's ruling alot. I'll be using that myself.
Jordan Peacock
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that ruling! This is actually a problem that cropped up in the very first session when I was playtesting for another game system that shall go unnamed.

It was a peculiar setting in which there were dramatic size differences between different fantasy races, and a barroom brawl was going on. We had a nasty time trying to figure out a fair way to handle the Really Big Guy throwing the Really Puny Guys out of the building, and the game designer seemed aghast that we actually needed to know rules for throwing people when I turned in my after-game report.

(Similarly, I've had trouble with another yet another older game-system-that-shall-go-unnamed where a PC specifically had a power to telekinetically move objects around, and yet the game system gave no specific rules on how to determine what damage such objects should cause when smacking into someone, or when dropped from the maximum height onto a target, or whether or not the target should get a chance to scramble out of the way first.)

So this sort of stuff is nice to have handy, just in case. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: