Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Online RPG methods for Deadlands HOE Classic

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: Hell on Earth & Lost Colony
View previous topic :: View next topic  
farmergiles
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:49 am    Post subject: Online RPG methods for Deadlands HOE Classic Reply with quote

Some of you may have seen various programs on the net allowing people to conduct role play games over the net using Voice Chat as a means of communication. However most of them tend to be tailored to D20 games like Dungeons and Dragons.

Has anyone had experience or knowledge of programs that can work with Classic Hell on Earth Deadlands? I kno the action decks can be a problem but we can get round that with having the GM have two decks in front of him on his PC. But for having maps, counters for players and monsters and easy communication, what have others found?
Murgh Bpurn
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend Fantasy Grounds, Battlegrounds or MapTool
Fuzyfeet
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantasy Grounds rocks IMO. That said there is no Classic Deadlands ruleset. I'm going to start a new game on-line with some friends that will be HoE, but seeing as there is no HoE ruleset for it we either have to play it in d20 or Savage World (ala Reloaded) and I don't like those versions. I'm a Classic fan. Reloaded is ok, and there is nothing wrong with it, save for the fact that it is not Classic and loses the feel I get playing/running Classic.

I could spend the time to make my own ruleset or at least character sheet, but I'm not motivated to, nor do I want to learn the new layout of FG II, so it looks like Reloaded for us... Crying or Very sad

Just my $0.02

My Deadlands sites
The Lynchburg Journal
The Junkyard Intranet
The Temptation Reportl
farmergiles
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if the map program works and you got Ventrilo you can easily run Classic by having the DM handle both action decks. Then you just tell the posse what they got for each combat round. Trust is needed but hey if you can't trust your DM than why you playing? Razz
farmergiles
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other issue is cost. Battlegrounds and Fantasy look great, but cost a rediculous amount for something which may or may not last that long.

Maptools could be worth a look though for a freebie!
ScooterinAB
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had some experience playing with OpenRPG. It was OK, but all of the things like cards and actions were handled by other means (the Marshal used a die roll vs table to determine which chip you got, and tracjed the results so someone couldn't draw the same chip as someone else).

Some time ago, I was experimenting with Vassal. It's a board and card game engine. I was experimenting with setting up card decks which would track the loss of cards as they were drawn (and chips). I didn't get very far, but it looked very possible. One would then just build in a dice roller (which can be done) and maps and playing pieces. The program used a simple chat screen, so I think it could have been pulled off.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: Hell on Earth & Lost Colony All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: