Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[DLR] Identifying a gun from Fallout 3, of all places.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: The Weird West
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tuesday
Heroic

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:46 pm    Post subject: [DLR] Identifying a gun from Fallout 3, of all places. Reply with quote

In Fallout 3, there is a gun that you can pull out of the Smithsonian vaults labelled "Lincoln's Repeater". Yes, as in Abraham Lincoln - which is why I'm asking this under a Deadlands title.

It's a lever-action repeating rifle, carries 15 shots, has adjustable sights, and is reloaded by *twisting the tip of the barrel aside* and then dropping shells into the opening revealed. You twist it closed and rack the lever to ready it to fire again.

It's the reloading action - very similar to a pump shotgun! - that has me intrigued.

What kind of a gun is this? Anyone got a make and model on it? Please tell me they didn't just make it up.
RJack
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henry Rifle

In addition to the story mentioned in the link, I had also heard that Lincoln participated in the testing himself that eventually approved the Henry for military use.

I think you may be mistaken about the reloading mechanism for a pump action shotgun. Every one I've ever seen is reloading from a hole near the receiver, with the shells pushed forward into the magazine.
Tuesday
Heroic

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The point is that in a pump-action gun, you push shells one at a time into an area below the barrel. This rifle does the same thing, but from the opposite end.

And thanks! That's not only the weapon I was looking for, but I think the Fallout 3 designers used those same pictures.
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tuesday wrote:
The point is that in a pump-action gun, you push shells one at a time into an area below the barrel. This rifle does the same thing, but from the opposite end.

Yeah, that was kind of the "design flaw" of the Henry rifle. To reload, the magazine spring had to be fully compressed and then the tip twisted to hold it in place and insert the rounds. It meant the magazine wasn't very well protected as it had an open slot running the length of it for the spring compressor and that equally precluded a forestock covering to protect the magazine.

The Winchester fixed that with the fully enclosed tubular magazine that was reloaded at the action like the pump shotgun and most weapons with a tubular magazine anymore.

www.peginc.com
Nameless2131
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:16 pm    Post subject: Sounds like a Remington Lightening Reply with quote

Well it sounds like it reloads like a Henry, but since its a pump action rifle from the old west, that would be a Remington Lightning.

http://www.cimarron-firearms.com/RepeatingRifles/LightningRifle.htm
Bad Picture but the wooden forearm pumps back and forth to reload just like a pump shotgun.

Great little guns. I like my 1866 and 1873 (Dad has the Henry) for speed shooting in the SASS (Single Action Shooting Society) but I've been beaten several time by competitors with Lightning's. Fast, accurate, and beautiful rifles.
marshal kt
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

at the last sass match, 2 of the veteran shooters tested the lightning vs a lever action.
the pump lightning won by about 1 sec.. that's 10 rounds.

nameless, what area of the county do you live/shoot?

south florida here.
Tuesday
Heroic

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nameless: No, it's a lever-action. It is, in fact, Abraham Lincoln's Henry Rifle, gold plating and all. I was just comparing the loading mechanism to that of a pump shotgun.
Nameless2131
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:49 am    Post subject: Ahhh I got it Reply with quote

I gotcha Tuesday. I thought Fallout had "developed" some new fangled gadget combining a Henry and the Lightning.

So in fallout 3 you have to go find this rifle?
http://www.civilwar.si.edu/weapons_henry.html (Gah i wish i could do filigree like whats on that receiver.)
Hmm I'm starting to think I may have to pick that game up.

Marshall KT--I'm from out of Omaha NE. I haven't do too much SASS over that last few years, but I still try and go watch the shoot whenever they are around. We've got a couple of active chapters nearby but there is just alot of travel involved, and the rest of life doesn't allow for it (CURSE YOU WORK!!!) My mom and I did the horse back shooting for a bit as well. She's the horse person in the family and also the one that taught me to shoot, but the group we were playing around with dissolved when the leader moved to Arizona. I almost had the Rooster Cogburn bit where he rides with the reigns in his teeth firing his 73 as he rides. I repeat ALMOST got it.
Twisted Evil
Tuesday
Heroic

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not "have to" find it. It's not part of any required quest - but it's an option!

Since the game is set in DC, raiding the ruins of the Smithsonian can be surprisingly profitable.
Savage Jason
Heroic

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have it, but have never brought myself to use it because it's in pristine condition when you find it and my character's Repair skill is abysmal. It wouldn't do to sully such a weapon.

Mike Shipley, 1984 to 2008, creator of Angel City

"Better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb." - G Rodriguez
Lord Ben
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OT, but my Dad has an Original Henry's. It's odd grabbing the barrel. Obviously though we never actually shoot it since they sell for around $14,000.

He collects firearms and has all the Winchester rifles (along with Henry's who was bought out by Winchester I think) made in that era.
marshal kt
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can i be your new best friend? Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: The Weird West All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: