Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Outsider

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Geordie_Lad
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:56 am    Post subject: Outsider Reply with quote

Hi, I'm a new SW GM running a homebrew fantasy setting.

The main reason I'm posting is that one of my players has taken the Outsider hindrance, and I'm struggling a bit to work that into game; tried a little bit of dialog where he's confronted by a drunkard, but not really gotten into it otherwise.

Any ideas?
SlasherEpoch
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outsider is a curious Hindrance; it's mostly roleplaying related but it still has a mechanical effect.

Basically, people are more likely to be hostile or unhelpful towards the character. The drunkard harasses him, the cops might take a little more time shaking down characters who travel with him, normal requests ("can I take photos here?" "are you done with that book?" "is anyone using that computer?") are answered sarcastically and possibly spitefully.

Evil Wig Enterprises Minion #15 - "The
Machete"
Tuesday
Heroic

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To begin with, enforce that -2 Charisma.

After that, make sure that everyone around knows that he is *not from around here*. He's a foreigner, he's got the wrong religion, he's got the wrong skin colour, we're pretty sure he killed and ate his siblings as a child but the police could never PROVE anything.... basically, take whatever it is that makes him an Outsider and have it come up. If he never deals with anyone outside the party and the party don't bring it up themselves, I've got two suggestions:

1) The stick: start inflicting it *on the party members*. "You're friends with THAT guy? Weird. What's he like? Is it true that he has green blood and loves Satan?" Since they're acting on his behalf, start applying his penalty to them in little ways.

2) The carrot: Present him with opportunities to deal with people. Maybe there's a romantic interest that he'll have to expose himself to pursue. Maybe you just play up how much fun he's missing out on by never going drinking with the rest of the boys.

For more specifics, I need to know what makes him an Outsider. Who is he, and why is that exceptional and bad in this setting?
The Vulture
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on how you run your sessions. If it's all dungeon crawls and combat, all the time (and there's nothing wrong with that), then it won't come up much. Social interactions are key, and the above posters covered that well. Of course, that needs to fit your style of play to work.

If your players just want to fight all the time, one idea would be people picking fights with him in bars or on the street for being whatever. I ran a setting in 1902 San Francisco where people kept picking fights with the Chinese and black guys, only to get owned.

Heck, you could even use it as a plot point sometime. What happens when a KKK-type group decides to run the party out of town for associating with this guy?

Hope that helps some.
Jordan Peacock
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This came up when we were considering some racial packages, some of which included "Outsider" in them. How to handle that, really? I've been of a mind that if a player turns a Hindrance into entertaining roleplay, then I don't need to go out of my way to give him trouble.

I mean, I'll still apply the Charisma penalty, but if the player does a good enough job of playing up his character with a good attempt at an accent (without making it annoying), peculiar mannerisms, etc., to emphasize his role as an "outsider" on his own, then I don't feel obliged to go out of my way to have specific encounters just to make sure he's "paying" for his Hindrance.
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can compare 'outsider' with Fez from That 70's Show! Smile Being part of the group, yet totally different from all the rest, and in an environment which responds 'uncomfortable' at best.
Adam Baulderstone
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the character is part of a differnent culture you can give the player a benny whenever they commit an uncomfortable faux pas that causes problems for the group. That takes the pressure off of you, as the player will hopefully start looking for ways to hose themself and the rest of the group.
Geordie_Lad
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main reasons for him being an outsider are:

(Outside of his nation)

1. He's from a nation which triggered a 100-year civil war.

2. He's from a nation which razed the capital city governing all the other nations to the ground twenty-five years ago, killing tens of thousands of people

3. His father was a military commander responsible for some of the forces involved in the massacre. (leading to his entire family being well-known and disliked)

4. He was born on the night of the massacre; generally considered to be a bad omen.

(Inside of his nation)

4. He's the son of a military commander who disagreed with the plan to eradicate the capital city of the enemy, and was subsequently tried for insubordination and hanged.

That's what I've got to work with; there's a sub-race in two of the major nations they'll be visiting in the game made up of the survivors of the massacre, and they'll definately be giving him some grief. I've also wrote in a plot hook (which will activate in a few weeks) which will have a more...visible...impact Twisted Evil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: