Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Taking Your TIme

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
voidstate
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:20 am    Post subject: Taking Your TIme Reply with quote

Are there any rules in SW for taking your time with a job? Something equivilent to the DnD 3e taking 10 and taking 20 rules, perhaps?
DerFinsterling
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have the book in front of me, but, IIRC, not really.

Some things just take a certain amount of time (healing skill comes to mind).

If a character takes extra time and extra care, he pretty much maximes his chances. Take the breaking things section in the rulebook: If you want to break down a door in a hurry - you need to roll.
If you have all the time in the world (and tools) you simply succeed after the GM says that enough time has passed.

Same kind of thing you can use for other situations. Say the players are searching a room and you tell them it takes 10 minutes to search it. They are in a hurry and want to half the time - you give them a -2 to their Notice roll.
They have all the time in the world and will slip open mattresses and stuff - give them a +2 or +4.
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Taking Your TIme Reply with quote

voidstate wrote:
Are there any rules in SW for taking your time with a job? Something equivilent to the DnD 3e taking 10 and taking 20 rules, perhaps?

Well, if you have more time, just reroll, and if time isn't an issue at all, there's no real reason to roll at all as success will eventually occur.

Or optionally (as noted in another thread) reverse the cause and effect, roll normally, but the result determines how long the effort takes like...

Failure takes a long time
Success takes a normal amount of time
Raise takes a short time

Or finally to get as close as possible, just apply a situational modifier (page 56) based on how the extra time makes it easier. Off the top of my head, it could be something like...

+1 bonus = Twice as long and no other actions possible
+2 bonus = 10x as long and no other actions possible

www.peginc.com
steelbrok
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

voidstate, I read your campaign log and I'd just like to say I found it hilarious
voidstate
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steelbrok wrote:
voidstate, I read your campaign log and I'd just like to say I found it hilarious

Thanks! It was the funniest campaign I've ever run. Loads of each session was spent nearly crying with laughter. Also, if you ever run 50 Fathoms, I'd recommend buying The Pyrates by George MacDonald Fraser. It provided a whole load of cliches to milk (my players provided the rest).
Tristram
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For taking time I use the Aim rule. If a character takes extra time to do something well and isn't interupted then they get +2 to their roll. This is only if it is a roll that wouldn't be automatic given enough time. Lockpicking, tracking, repair, notice, and climbing are examples I could use. If a PC takes his time he gets a bonus but if he fails it may just be something he is incapable of doing even with all the time in the world.
Sitting Duck
Legendary

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

voidstate wrote:
steelbrok wrote:

Thanks! It was the funniest campaign I've ever run. Loads of each session was spent nearly crying with laughter. Also, if you ever run 50 Fathoms, I'd recommend buying The Pyrates by George MacDonald Fraser. It provided a whole load of cliches to milk (my players provided the rest).

I second that. It has been descibed as being like Captain Blood directed by Mel Brooks and starring the Monty Python gang. An accurate assessment. In fact, I could see the pawn shop guy as the obligatory Mel Brooks cameo.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: