Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hallucinatory Gas

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scaramaus
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:29 pm    Post subject: Hallucinatory Gas Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

The following will happen in my home-brew Pulp setting. It's 1928 and in Central park in New York we have a large camp of refugees and destitute people. The main villain is kidnapping people from this camp for his nefarious plans. To facilitate the kidnapping he uses minions with gasmasks and a hallucinatory gas. The main purpose for the gas is to disorient the victims and make them afraid for the minions in gasmasks.
The heroes will off course also come into contact with the gas.
I was thinking of the following way to handle the gas:
A difficult Vigor check TN 6, when it fails, big penalty on Smarts and Agility based checks. (-2) perhaps. A Guts check for the fear effects maybe?
Or is this too difficult for the players?

Scara
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I try to avoid changing the TNs on checks from the default 4...it's just one more thing to remember. I'd go with something like having to make a standard Vigor check every round that you're not wearing a mask or be Shaken (non-wounding). A roll of 1 on the Vigor prompts a Guts check, with the standard penalties for failure, including possible rolls on the Fright table.
Judge Holden
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course you could just say Vigor check with a -2 penalty which makes it a TN#6.

If you make every Smarts and Agility based check a -2 thats pretty hefty. It depends I guess whether your intention is to give them a run for their money or if the encounter requires them to get wiped out (and taken prisoner perhaps). Unless your players have crazy luck I think a -2 is a debilatating handy-cap. To put it in perspective that is like a 2 wound modifier.

Are you gonna have the extras milling about act as henchmen for the players? That might even up the odds a bit.

- Dave Foley
Scaramaus
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies guys.
I've been known to be a bit tough on my players, but I'll try to be a bit less. Wink
The intention of the scene is to get them disoriented while the bad guys catch a few other victims. Maybe the heroes catch one or two of the bad guys.
I like the Vigor check, if it fails Shaken, option. And the Guts check on a roll of 1. Cheers for that Jamused.
The session is next Sunday, don't know if we'll get to the Central Park scene, but I will let you know how it went.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: