Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[S. Skies]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Licensees
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lysander
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:13 pm    Post subject: [S. Skies] Reply with quote

Okay, I've been invited to possibly play in a 'skies' campaign. Nothing set in stone, but apparently in the works.

I don't know anything about the setting. I mostly play fantasy genre with a little d20 'space opera' thrown in there.

Without giving much away, what can I expect? The more I know, the better my 1st character will be. and since i'm not 100% on the campaign starting, I want to hold off on the $15 for the players guide until I know more.

I wasn't able to find any 'pre-gens' to help me get the flavor down, so I have some questions:

Specifically:

It looks like gunpowder level weapon technology, or is there heavier stuff?

More prominent, Priest or Arcane?

Glowmadness - this is a opposed spirit roll I take it?

Psionics - allowed?

Importance of:
A) Guts
B) Investigation

Skyships rely more on Boating or Piloting (or both somehow?)

Something I came across looked cool: 'Sons of Spire.' What can one expect with these folks?

Thanks in advance for any information on any or all of these topics...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSReSGe200A
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since Skies is now a TAG setting, moved this to the licensee section.

www.peginc.com
Demonicuss Krinn
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'll try to help you out.

Sundered Skies is somewhat fantasy-esque, with a bit of naval flair (only instead of riding ships across the sea, you fly them across the Void). The standard fantasy races are present, with some twists (Elves, for instance, are part plant).

Guns - Flintlock firearms are available, along with cannons for ships.

Arcane Backgrounds - the only three available in the Skies are Sorcery, Priests, and Engineers (Weird Science). As for prominence, I think they're mostly equal.

Glowmadness - Yep, it's a Spirit roll.

Guts - Needed, as some of the foes are Fear inducing.

Ships - use Boating.

Sons of Spire - Spire was an island that was destroyed when it crashed into another island. The Sons of Spire are a group of surviving sorcerer/astronomers who watch to try to prevent another island collision.

Think that should help you out.
Lysander
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would this be a viable character:

A human who has arcane abilities, but tries to hide them from everybody.

He can heal (cold/hypothermia trapping), Casts bolts of ice, and has elemental manip (water).

He is hunted by a small group that knows he has the ability to 'conjur water', so he has sought the protection of the Sons of Spire, who help him learn to use his powers, and in return, sail the skies and help them by reporting any unusual things that may interest them.

I was thinking about obtaining the edge 'arcane resistance' but focused toward resisting glowmadness (not sure if it would normally...)

Would need some tweaking, but that's what I got so far...

WickedRoland
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well just to elaborate on one of your first questions and make sure it's clear..Glowmad rolls are spirit rolls. but not Opposed roll. They are just verses TN 4 although various things can give penalties.

As for your arcane caster. Healing isnt a power available to them in Sundered Skies.

I'd disagree with Krinn. there are 7 different AB:Miracle backgrounds to choose from and the AB:Weird Science also counts as a priest so priests are more predominant I would say.

I don't think arcane resistance helps against glowmadness but there is a Glowmad resistant edge.
Aramus Daimorgul
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am playing in a game of this right now and I have a sorcerer who utilizes the "ice/cold" trapping. He is from the Draining Sea and fancies himself a noble (even though he is not).

We don't use Guts in our game just Spirit however YMMV.

You can gain a fair number of bonuses to your spirit rolls via just staying inside, most vessels, we determined, are almost entirely enclosed so you can limit your exposure to less than an hour pretty easily giving you +2 (only fail on a 1 and don't forget your wild die). Glowmadness resistance would really help though, glowmadness is a constant threat in the setting. Extras are very susceptible to it.

Investigation is not as useful, but wow Streetwise is extremely useful at least pick up 1 rank in that.
Lysander
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've veered toward a tinkerer of sorts:

He/she is person who is lame, but has the AB: Weird Science and has developed what is essentially 'boots of speed' so he can go from 4 pace to 8 with the click of a button (hopefully). She/He has Macgyver and a would hire on as a fixer of sorts for ships. Throw in a few Fighting and Shooting levels, some Boating and I think I have something. I'll remember to throw in a bit of streetwise.

Not sure what a good race would be, perhaps a dwarf who worked on their steamships?

anyhow... Waiting for the proposed GM to 'clear the deck' of RL committments and then get going.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Licensees All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: