Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Insanity Rules

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
voidstate
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:35 am    Post subject: Insanity Rules Reply with quote

Anyone worked out any insanity rules? I'm just about to start a Savage Freeport campaign and want to add rules for insanity for when characters encounter various cthuloid nastiness.

Cheers
manifold
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:03 am    Post subject: nope. Reply with quote

To be honest, I'd just use the Fear rules and let particulary narsty critters have a very high (+4 or better) Fear modifier. The fear rules pretty well mirror the function of the CoC sanity system (temporary, indefinite and permanant impairment) while keeping it FFF and in the players and GM's perview to describe the particulars of the attack. So a character shaken by a Fear effect might be shaking or crying or singing or wetting his pants; mark of fear can be anything from the physical examples to paronia or an unhealthy appetite for live rats. Heart attack can be a true heart attack or permannat insanity. This is how I'm emulating the Sanity aspect of CoC in my campaign.

That said, Fear Effects by 12 to mindnight is cheap and gets good press. I don't know anyone who actually uses it, but I have it and if you want a huge table of random insanity effects then it's peachy.

Tour of Darkness has a sanity system based on .5 Spirit +2 as a base Sanity score. Every guts check drops the score by 1. Reach 0 and you roll the dreaded d20 for the effect of the San. You could make your own table for Freeport; the ToD table is pretty specific to the setting.

My question for you is this: Do you want Sanity to function like a trap that snaps shut whenever characters get too near (like SW Fear rules) or do you want it to drain away slowly like hit points with greater or lesser consequences based on how many points are lost (like in BRP/CoC?) (You can use CoC's sanity system out of the box by mulitplying Spirit by 8 to get a starting sanity score.)

My 2.

Oh, and if you can wait (and I don't reccommend waiting for SW products to come out; your campaign will die on the vine from old age) Reality Blurs is coming out with Realms of C'thulhu which allegedly has a pretty good Sanity mechanic.

Also, the Horror toolkit has a Sanity section which emmulates the ToD Sanity rules but has a somewhat different results table.

-Manifold, who knows way too much about this.

http://manifold2.deviantart.com/
voidstate
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: nope. Reply with quote

manifold wrote:
Tour of Darkness has a sanity system based on .5 Spirit +2 as a base Sanity score. Every guts check drops the score by 1. Reach 0 and you roll the dreaded d20 for the effect of the San. You could make your own table for Freeport; the ToD table is pretty specific to the setting.

I like this idea.

I don't have the toolkit or Tour of Darkness, though, so I guess I'll just fudge something together.

Maybe keeping the Fear rules is the way to go, but adding the loss of a sanity point for bad rolls on the table. Then, when a character reaches 0 sanity, the madness really kicks in.

vs
skylion
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using the fear rules from the Horror Toolkit in my own Freeport game; it works well.

You really have to hit them hard to make it work thou. That is, if that is what you are going for. Since the characters will "regenerate" lost sanity points with every successful adventure, it is only when they hit zero that the madness really does kick in.

Our Priest of Gnosis (God of Knowledge) is suffering a bit. He is now ever so slightly narcoleptic.
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been toying with the idea of running a Savage Freeport game myself, cutting in Mythos elements/deities to cover the more generic bits (i.e., the God of Knowledge becomes the All-In-One (an aspect of Yog-Sothoth) and so on). I settled on just using the official fear rules myself, but might tag on the same sort of thing I use for damage; that is, anyone who gets thoroughly worked over in the pant-crapping terror department gets an appropriate hindrance until they roleplay getting over it or, more boringly, buy it off with XP.
Sitting Duck
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a Call of Cthulhu conversion over at Savagepedia with its own Sanity system.
Aramus Daimorgul
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is an idea:
Use Guts skill for Sanity rolls. Whereas I think that Guts is not really useful as a skill outside of Horror based games I think it has a very good use in a horror based game.

Give three Sanity points just like wounds for wild cards, extras have only one. Sanity gives a penalty to Spirit based rolls, similar to wounds (-1, -2, -3). This also gives an additional penalty to the fear effects chart.

If you fail a guts roll you lose a Sanity point in addition to the standard fear effects.
Sanity recovers just like wounds:
There is a golden hour to remove Sanity with a heal spell and heal skill.
Then, it heals naturally with guts rolls and greater healing spell.

How does that work for you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: