Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A Couple of Story Ideas (Deadlands)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which concept do you like better?
Concept 1
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Concept 2.a
28%
 28%  [ 2 ]
Concept 2.b
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I like both ideas.
71%
 71%  [ 5 ]
Your ideas suck!
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 7

OgyJoe
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:16 am    Post subject: A Couple of Story Ideas (Deadlands) Reply with quote

I am about to start a campaign in a forum format, and I had a couple of concepts in mind. I wanted to run it by all the fine folks here to see what you think. Any thoughts, advice, or ideas would be appreciated. thanks in advance.

Quote:
Concept 1:

You wake up and find yourself in a small enclosed space. It doesn't take you long to realize you are in a coffin. You push up on the lid, but it will not open. Bracing your back against the bottom of the pine box, you use both hands to try to force your way out. You only manage to get a small opening, and some dirt spills in. Then it hits you: you've been buried alive. You punch and kick at the wooden ceiling until you shatter it enough to break through. Soil falls into your eyes, and splinters stab your skin, but you barely notice. Your mind struggles to grasp how you got here and why you were mistaken for dead while your body struggles to reach the surface. You claw and dig desperately upward just hoping to see light soon. Luckily the hole is still fresh, so the earth is still loose, and somehow, some way, you start to ascend. Your mind is racing and panic fills your very soul, but you cannot stop. Finally, you break through far enough to see a tiny glimmer of light. You wedge open the hole a bit further so you can get some oxygen. You stop digging for a moment to take in a deep breath of fresh air. You relax, because you know you'll be okay now. As your nerves calm, you finish clearing your path to freedom, and you climb out of your hole. You look around to see that you were not the only victim, as others are freeing themselves from their pine boxes. Now that you are free, you try to think back to how this happened. "Why did they think I was dead?" "How did I get here?" "Where is here anyway?" "Who are this other people?" "Wait, who am I?" The confusion clouds your mind. You have no memory of anything before waking up in your pine box bed. The others seem equally confused. Down the hill from your resting place you see a town. It's time for some answers.

Marshall's Note: I've had this idea for a while based loosely on a campaign example I read when first came across Deadlands years ago. Mysteries always have ways of finding plots twists along the way, especially when you don't even know who you are. This campaign would be focused on finding out who you are and who had you buried. Are you more focused on answers or simply revenge?

Quote:
Concept 2:

Army regiments are running thin, so they have begun to contract freelancers to deliver supplies to some outposts. This can start one of two ways:

A.) You have been hired to deliver supplies to a Northwest Army outpost. This should be a simple mission. All you have to do is get the supplies to the Army outpost, and protect the wagon from any wild animals or bandits that might appear along the way.

B.) You have been hired to find out why the last supply run never made it back. You are to head to the Army post and watch for signs of distress along the way. If you find the supply wagon, get it to the Army outpost. Otherwise, report to the outpost and find out why the group never returned.

Whichever way it begins, this is where it goes from there:

It is near sunset, and you see the Army outpost in he distance. You can see the smoke from the fireplace, and the post looks well lit. Everything appears normal. As you approach, you notice the outpost is eerily quiet. You also notice that there are no horses tied to the posts where you would normally see them. You get to the outpost, and tie up your horses. You enter the main building and find no one. There is a stew cooking on the stove, but there are no other signs of anyone present. Your first thought is that the troops may all be out for the moment, but then you think it odd that no one was left behind to guard the outpost. It is a bad idea to amke the trek home at nightfall, so you will have to take refuge here for the night. Hopefully the troops will return soon. If not, you can investigate matters in the morning.

Marhsall's Note: This is another concept I have had for a while loosely based on the movie Ravenous. Instead of the wild west deserts the players would expect in this campaign, they have to adapt to a much more frigid environment. And once again, we have the element of mystery. Where are the troops? Will they return before morning? If they don't return, do you just go home and report their abscence, or do you investigate the disappearance? While investigating, how prepared are you for this environment, and how well do you know the area's wildlife? The ideal situation would be that none of the characters are built around the Northwest. You should be built just like a normal character in the West, and then quickly adapt to take this mission.

Last edited by OgyJoe on Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:40 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Cutter XXIII
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny story...as far as I know, Concept 1 (assuming the characters are Harrowed and don't yet realize it) was an adventure that Shane ran for some folks back in the day. And then he expanded the concept to create Deadlands! Smile

Anyhow, I like both ideas. Maybe I'd go the Pacific Northwest route...that region is a favorite of mine.
OgyJoe
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, that may have been where I got the idea way back when I first saw Deadlands, but it's just been so long I forgot the source. (Sorry, Shane.) If that campaign is out there anywhere, that would be helpful. Anyone know?

*This guy needs to update his six-year old signature.

Last edited by OgyJoe on Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
shadd4d
Legendary

Location: Charlottesville, VA...I miss Deutschland and Chicago.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're cool with starting with a party full of harrowed...take option 1. It can always turn out to be a dream sequence.

I'd go with #2: I'm planning on a version of it for my players this Wed. In my version, I'm trying to get my players to understand fear levels and how the wierd west is...this could be the start of campaign in which players get a brush of hell and then go "okay...that's what that means and what we have to do!" X number of sessions later.

Don

"But there is a difference between fear and horror. An important difference.
Fear is when you worry about what might be.
Horror is when you are certain." Dannyboy01
OgyJoe
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I do option 1, it will have harrowed characters, though they won't know it at first. Option 2 will be geared towards the critters of the cold, and the ultimate confrontation will be with a wendigo. If you've see Ravenous, you'll have an idea what I am shooting for, although my story is only loosely based on the movie. Ultimately, I will let the players (all new to the setting) decide which campaign they want. What i'd really like is ways to flesh out the stories further than what is stated above, and whether you think they are even interesting stories to play.

OgyJoe
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:27 am    Post subject: *bump* Reply with quote

Bumping in hopes of a little more feedback.

Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OgyJoe wrote:
If that campaign is out there anywhere, that would be helpful. Anyone know?

I don't think the full campaign is written up anywhere, but Shane has mentioned it a couple of times in the origins of Deadlands.

One difference I'll point out is that Shane did not start the players in coffins. As I recall, they were in a battle during the Civil War and "lost consciousness." When they "awoke" from a horrible nightmare, they were out in the West on a hill overlooking a small town. They go into town to find it decimated and odd clues start to pop up. They discover it's 10 years after the battle (1870's), but they don't recall anything that happened during the time. At the newspaper office, they discover papers and information in the last issue that a band of desperados was heading for the town... and that they are the desperados.

www.peginc.com
Big Bad Jack
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parts of that were included in the adventure in the back of The Book o' the Dead, as I want to recall...
Skipper
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm working on a campaign at the moment that will take place in the Flathead Valley of Montana. I have a feeling, much like you, that this teritory will be new to the players and present unique challanges. So I guess you can tell I prefer option 2. Besides, it'll fit into almost any game with a little work.

Option 1 is a great idea for a one off scenario or two or three sessions. I can see this as an excellent introduction at the local game store or at a convention.

I might actually steal your idea for option 2 but transpose it into the Canadian wilderness north of Kalispell and make the outpost that of the Canadian Royal Mounted Police. That really apeals to my snese of mystery. So many ways to take it too. Though the Wendigo is a good plot-line, I like to take my players somewhere they haven't been before.....say like converting the ultimate evil in the session from the Wendigo to a UFO harvesting mission or simply a local disturubance that took all the living in a square mile into an out of phase plane.

Skipper
OgyJoe
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I am going with option 2. Right now I am just trying to figure out prices of the time of objects not in the game manual, and exactly what cities were present at the time and distance between.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: