Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How many XP???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aramus Daimorgul
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:57 pm    Post subject: How many XP??? Reply with quote

So what do you do -->

When do you give 3?

When do you give 2?

When do you give 1?

What is your average XP per session?
Wiggy
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: How many XP??? Reply with quote

Aramus Daimorgul wrote:
So what do you do -->

When do you give 3?

When do you give 2?

When do you give 1?

What is your average XP per session?

I hand out XPs in accordance with the table on page 37 of SWEX.

I just look at what the group did or didn't achieve and compare the results. Generally the final session of any adventure is worth 3 XP, so long as the villain was defeated and no upsets occured along the way ("Yay, we saved the king, but unfortunately got his son killed"---is a victory with an upset Smile)

On average, I give out 2 XPs a session. Often the group borders a 2 or 3 XP reward, so I tend to even it out over two sessions, thus giving them a level up every other session.
Wendigo1870
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We cheat Razz !
We do an advancement each session rather than XP. For various reasons this works out well for us all, there've been no complaints (mainly we don't play the same game often enough (average once a month), so there would be no real feeling of advancement if we didn't).
nonefornic
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wendigo1870 wrote:
We do an advancement each session rather than XP. For various reasons this works out well for us all, there've been no complaints (mainly we don't play the same game often enough (average once a month), so there would be no real feeling of advancement if we didn't).

Did the same thing in a short Deadlands campaign for a bunch of noobs who wanted to get the feel of the settign and system. Worked well. Had the thought of doing an Epic Trillogy (Star Wars esc) game where the characters jump entire ranks after a session... "what you're a Jedi Knight now?" "Its been five years Han, gee you're grumpy" "Yeah well, least I get work after this movie farm-boy"
Control
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I ran Necessary Evil I decided I didn't want it to take forever to get to legendary so I gave 3 - 5 exp per session. On top of that I let the players roll unspent bennies for a chance to get even more exp. The end result was they were leveling up every session. I didn't like the rapid advancement and will probably use normal exp in my future campaigns. But the players loved leveling up every week. And I definitely agree that for mini campaigns or games run less frequently accelerated advancement can simulate long stretches of time passing between episodes. So once again to each his own and what ever is the most fun for your group is what I'd suggest. Smile
Aramus Daimorgul
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: How many XP??? Reply with quote

Wiggy wrote:

On average, I give out 2 XPs a session. Often the group borders a 2 or 3 XP reward, so I tend to even it out over two sessions, thus giving them a level up every other session.

So, you never give out 1 XP? If you are averaging 2.5 per session, to get the characters to advance every 2 sessions, giving out 1 XP is a pretty big hurdle to recover from to maintain that average.

Is this right from your pov:
2 xp average session
3 xp above average session

1 xp not given or only used in extreme cases of short play time or the group accomplish nothing plot wise.

Last edited by Aramus Daimorgul on Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Aramus Daimorgul
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Control wrote:
When I ran Necessary Evil I decided I didn't want it to take forever to get to legendary so I gave 3 - 5 exp per session.

How did you determine if they got 3, 4 or 5?
ron blessing
Heroic

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like shorter campaigns, so I've been giving 3 per session. So a non-productive session is worth 2 or, in extreme circumstances, 1.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Cutter XXIII
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the pg. 37 table, typically.

Two is my default. I give 1 XP in cases where failure/death/TPK/hijinks were more or less the result of player "error" (bad planning, dumb moves, impetuous acts). After a big, successful battle, a great victory, a problem solved by player ingenuity, etc. I give 3 XP.

When running Necessary Evil, I recommend planning for 20-23 "issues" and giving out 5 XP (and an Advance) after every session. To me, it really fits the "supers" vibe to do it that way.
Wiggy
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: How many XP??? Reply with quote

Aramus Daimorgul wrote:
Is this right from your pov:
2 xp average session
3 xp above average session

1 xp not given or only used in extreme cases of short play time or the group accomplish nothing plot wise.

Yep, that's about how it works out for my group. It's a very rare day they screw up badly enough to warrant a single XP, but if the session is short they'll get 1 XP. We try to avoid short sessions, though.
DerFinsterling
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started to hand out xp much more generously since we've been playing more rarely.
I didn't want to go through a campaign and after two years real life the character is seasoned.
Might fit to the number and complexity of adventures, but come on, we all want the characters to get up their higher!

So, in effect, I give:
1xp if they really didn't do anything. I actually give out 1xp to characters whose player's don't show up (but told me so beforehand). So they don't lag behind too much.

Then I follow the guidelines from SWEX, but hand out 2,3,4 xp instead of 1,2,3.

This needs some adjusting-to, of course. One of my regular players in my Evernight campaign is - at the start of the fourth act - already a Veteran. Granted, I ran them through a couple of adventures before we started the campaign, but still. I might need to tweak the encounters just a little bit.
Count Zero
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We tend to play shorter story arcs so 3xp per session is the norm. We also let people roll to convert bennies.
sulfurdown
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to be more heavy handed with encouraging non-stat based RP.

Players get 1xp for;
-Showing up, mentally and physically
-Accomplishing some plot point movement, either overall or character specific line.(i.e. a 'chapter')
-Stand-out gaming or at least not metagaming (brilliant ideas or RP, individual character based concept development)

So usually it would be 1-2 per session. I tend to draw it more from my days of Vampire games where you play the character for a while before you before advancing them, instead of spending half the time picking and learning new powrz. I'm a bigger fan of the advancements coming during logical downtime instead of the "Poof" you've got upgrades style (a la beginning of OotS).
zeth
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the players do something truly heroic/self sacrificing that surprises me I give them 1 xp instantly instead of a benny. One example is when they gave almost their ENTIRE treasure to help a destroyed village recover and expected nothing in return. I'm talking like over a king's ransom from 50 F amount of treasure they gave up.
Tavis
Heroic

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We tend to play our Evernight game once a month, so usually I give out 3 XP, if the session's been successful, and 2 if they did not-so-well. 1 XP is reserved (unless they really screw up) for 'Sir not-appearing-in-this-session', should there be one, to account for what they were doing 'of-screen' (I'll usually allow them to give me one 'thing' they were trying to achieve in their 'down time' and give them a roll for it, rather than have them just sit in camp and do nothing if the player couldn't make it)

SWD: 50 Fathoms (GM)
Adam Baulderstone
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always give two or three. They get three points if they hit some kind a benchmark in the story, or if it is just a really exciting session. It tends to alternate pretty evenly between the two.

I don't really like the idea of punishing a group with one. Most groups tend to have a session that is a little off from time to time. Maybe people are tired or distracted. It happens. Whatever the cause, I don't think it helps matters to tell the people that showed up to play in your game, that you are disappointed in them.

I don't factor role-playing into XP as they already get bennies for that.
joshuaslater
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our group's been playing steady every Sunday for a while now, and two or three is the norm. It's enough forward momentum to keep our enthusiasm and slow enough that it doesn't feel like we're jumping too fast.

I don't think we've played a session where we got one XP. As with everything about this system, whatever is FFF is really key. Wanna run more powerful characters and campaigns? No problem. Find the formula that keeps your players coming back, keeps laughter and good times at the table, and remember FUN is the most important part of this.

Cheers.
shadd4d
Legendary

Location: Charlottesville, VA...I miss Deutschland and Chicago.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far, we've had 2 sessions on a weekly basis and they've netted 3XP per session. I haven't had a session pop up yet, in which my players have totally screwed the pooch and deserved 1XP...but it's probably inevitable.

Don

"But there is a difference between fear and horror. An important difference.
Fear is when you worry about what might be.
Horror is when you are certain." Dannyboy01
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: