Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Questions from My players (Modern Campaign), with magic

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doswelk
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:54 pm    Post subject: Questions from My players (Modern Campaign), with magic Reply with quote

"I was wondering if there's anything like it in Savage Worlds. More specifically, I was wondering if there is any way I could have a special katana ordered (perhaps even imported from Japan), that would be perhaps a lot more expensive but sharper and thus doing more damage, or perhaps better balanced to make it easier to hit with. Something like the Hattori Hanzo swords in the Kill Bill movies."

Another player (who has taken pacifist) wants to have a stungun or taser I cannot find any rules for those (other than the Mega Taser in NE)
JackAce
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Questions from My players (Modern Campaign), with magic Reply with quote

doswelk wrote:
...a special katana ... that would be perhaps a lot more expensive but sharper and thus doing more damage, or perhaps better balanced to make it easier to hit with. Something like the Hattori Hanzo swords in the Kill Bill movies."

In a way, this effect is already built into the Katana in the SW:EX rulebook. That's why it does Str+d6+2, rather than Str+d8 or +d10. It deals out extra damage without requiring a humungous Strength to weild it effectively.

For a well balanced sword, why not just give it an extra +1 to Parry?

doswelk wrote:
Another player (who has taken pacifist) wants to have a stungun or taser I cannot find any rules for those (other than the Mega Taser in NE)

Several solutions to this have been suggested in the past.

My favorite is 3/6/-, 3d6, Non-Lethal Damage, cannot penetrate armor.

Its high Damage rating gives you a very good chance of knocking out an Extra with one good hit, but the taser itself won't kill anyone.

Its maximum Range is 6" (I'm not even sure if real tasers get that far) but this distance only counts as Medium Range.
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Questions from My players (Modern Campaign), with magic Reply with quote

doswelk wrote:
"I was wondering if there's anything like it in Savage Worlds. More specifically, I was wondering if there is any way I could have a special katana ordered (perhaps even imported from Japan), that would be perhaps a lot more expensive but sharper and thus doing more damage, or perhaps better balanced to make it easier to hit with. Something like the Hattori Hanzo swords in the Kill Bill movies."

If you have the Fantasy Gear Toolkit, you could look at the Artificer Edges in there, and just make them some kind of Master Craftsman Edge or something.

But really, that's for a PC who wants to make such items; if just looking for something that can be bought, the GM just has to decide if it's even available in the setting and set a price and conditions to purchase it.

doswelk wrote:

I don't remember doing anything official for a taser (maybe we did), but people have done a lot of different versions of them.

I'd probably look up some stats and go with something like...

Taser
Range - 1/2/4 (2/4/8 military/police)
Damage - 2d6 nonlethal
ROF - 1
Shots - 1
Notes - Target must make a Vigor roll at -2 (plus any Armor worn) or be Shaken before applying damage. If the target rolls a 1 on their Vigor die, they may take lethal damage from the attack. For Extras roll an additional d6, and on a 1, they take lethal damage. Wild Cards do so if their Wild Die also comes up a 1 (a critical failure).

I think some of these can remove the firing unit and be used in close combat with a lesser effect. I'd just use the Vigor roll then, and leave the damage out of it.

www.peginc.com
grendel2175
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a side note on the taser...

Most police issue tasers are made for close combat deployment with or without the ranged mechanism firing. This is referred to as "drive stun" and functions as pain compliance. Meaning that the nervous system isn't knocked out, so you could potentially fight through it.

In other words... take what Clint said and flip it. Keep the damage and drop the Vigor roll for a close combat drive stun.

Oh and don't forget you +2 for only needing to touch your target Smile

(and for the record, the times I have been hit with a taser the damage must have aced...)

Enjoy
doswelk
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to add the link to the Taser the party now want to get.....

http://www.taser.com/PRODUCTS/LAW/Pages/XREP.aspx
---------------------------------

Clint:

Quote:
Notes - Target must make a Vigor roll at -2 (plus any Armor worn)

Not sure I understand the any armor worn bit, If they are wearing armor I add the armor bonus to the Vigor roll?
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

doswelk wrote:
Quote:
Notes - Target must make a Vigor roll at -2 (plus any Armor worn)

Not sure I understand the any armor worn bit, If they are wearing armor I add the armor bonus to the Vigor roll?

Yep. Basically, it's just a way to show that the armor can provide some "insulation" from the charge.

Personally, I'd rather hear Grendel's take on them as he has actually been hit with them (I've only been shot with a shotgun).

www.peginc.com
doswelk
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

grendel2175 wrote:
Just a side note on the taser...

Most police issue tasers are made for close combat deployment with or without the ranged mechanism firing. This is referred to as "drive stun" and functions as pain compliance. Meaning that the nervous system isn't knocked out, so you could potentially fight through it.

In other words... take what Clint said and flip it. Keep the damage and drop the Vigor roll for a close combat drive stun.

Oh and don't forget you +2 for only needing to touch your target Smile

(and for the record, the times I have been hit with a taser the damage must have aced...)

Enjoy

Having a thick moment grendel2175, I am not sure what you mean about flipping it...

Do you mean it just does 2d6 non-lethal damage (and no shaken/vigor roll)?
TTM
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clint wrote:
Personally, I'd rather hear Grendel's take on them as he has actually been hit with them (I've only been shot with a shotgun).

#1eek1 Only? That must be a pretty manly story!

Has anyone mentioned Freeze +P yet?
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TTM wrote:
Clint wrote:

#1eek1 Only? That must be a pretty manly story!

Not so much really. Wink

More an example of a low damage roll at medium-long range. Just ticked me off.

www.peginc.com
Control
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen threads before on Tazer or Stun Guns, I did a search of the Forum and didn't find them though. Sad

As far as the Katana goes, you could apply the trademark weapon edge to the sword instead of the player. That's +1 to the attack roll and damage if I remember correctly, and +2 for improved. It sets the sword apart without complication. I don't know if I'd let it stack with a character's edge then though. But you did mention Kill Bill so having a potential +4 to hit and damage might be just the over the top, "I never miss" kind of action you want. Smile
Tuesday
Heroic

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trademark Weapon is just +1 to hit - but I wouldn't apply that Edge to the sword itself. And people in Kill Bill missed all the time - what do you think all the parries are? They just didn't usually miss against mooks, which could be expressed quite handily with a high Fighting, Imp. Trademark Weapon, and potentially a magic sword - simply give it a +1 to hit, or damage, or both.
grendel2175
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tasers and armor...

Clint's got a good grasp of it with the armor bonus modifying the vigor roll. The prongs can still work through clothing and material, but sometimes the connection is not as good. Heavy winter clothing can block it all together. Never shot a taser at a guy in chainmail, or any other metal armor, but for that I would say metal would conduct the pulse quite well. (Side note: Our tasers will not conduct through water, but the bad guys don't usually know that)

Been shot near, not shot at (that I know of)... haven't been hit yet Smile

Course I have been hit by mace, knee knockers, cs, errant elbows... The taser shouldn't count because I was moron enough to let them hit me with it without a fight.

Hope that helps.
Snate56
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By water do you mean soaked clothes? I would think the taser would "short circuit" and not deliver a good jolt to the target. I would also think the same of chainmail. And since you really wear padding under plate armor, i would think the taser would'nt work at all.

SteveN
grendel2175
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By water I am referring the target standing in a pool. I was relating to a time I convinced a few ornery folks to get out of a pool by just sparking the taser and grinning.

Taser works just fine in the rain and on folks in wet clothes. However it won't conduct through a tub of water to a target. The prongs or the actuator have to be on the target.

The taser will not work well on plate mainly because the prongs won't make contact with flesh. Earlier I debated putting in a point about padding, but decided it was overboard given the rarity of the situation.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: