Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How many are playing Slipstream as written?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Official Settings & Companions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kakupacal
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:33 pm    Post subject: How many are playing Slipstream as written? Reply with quote

I was pretty thrilled to finally get a copy of Slipstream a few weeks back and even thrilled-er when I managed to find a group of players to give it a whirl and with that game session approaching, I am faced with the hard call of playing the game as written or modifying the aspects that I just don't dig.

Okay, yes, I KNOW the setting represents a 30's serial environment and I can swallow the campy aliens and thematic aspects but the whole "bits of planets floating in a breathable ether" just rubs me the wrong way. I feel like I'm seeing a sci-fi version of the Sundered Skies setting (a setting that I generally enjoyed except for the whole "glowing ether" bit... so to see that element pop up again was a let down).

Anyway, I'm thinking of ditching the "pocket universe in a bubble of air" notion of Slipstream and playing it more "straight" - still pulp but not quite as zany... still low-tech but with interplanetary travel simply "assumed" in the way that it is in most serials without the mention of a hyperdrive or what-have-you.

I'm wondering if I am alone on this and whether others are seeing some value to the setting as written that I am overlooking (obviously, space-pirates and the like will have to do their dastardly boarding actions while wearing bubble helmets, etc. but I can't see any other flavor that I will lose by jettisoning the bizarre nature of the ether).

Do tell...
skylion
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a tendency too agree with you on this one. However, give the game a session or two. I ran it for a small group and for them, the crazieness of the Stream faded into the background after the quick action got going. In fact, it helped the Pulp feel of the background a great deal.

So, yes, I am running the background mechanics of the Graviton Wave as written. I'm adding Deadlands too it, but that won't change the air bubble at all.
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone's free to change their game as they wish. If you don't like the breathable air in space, ditch it. Unless of course, it somehow plays an important part in the setting (like in Sundered Skies, you can't exactly just ditch the Glow, 'cause it's an essential element in the setting).
If you do ditch the breathable air, make sure you got yourself covered for this new element in the game.

Last of all; if you're GM-ing, ditch the things you wouldn't like. I for my part don't look forward to run a new session of a setting every x days/weeks/... knowing each time something annoys me about it. (I ditched the official Lodge Rules in Rippers for example, which allows my players to travel around the world instead of being stuck near their Lodge.)

7th Sea said it best:

"There are no rules.

Cheat anyway."
tylermo
Heroic

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah. The lodge rules. I don't think they were poorly written in the main rules, or the companion(alternate rules), but it's a LOAD of book keeping. Probably more so than the book keeping involved with traveling(in a ship) all over Caribdus in 50 Fathoms. hehe Don't get me wrong, I'm not criticizing any of the afore-mentioned settings. I love em' all. Just hate book keeping.
ron blessing
Heroic

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're going to run Slipstream, as is. I think it will be a perfect game for the group in which I'm running it. Many people have called this book sci-fi, but I think that's inaccurate. Sci-Fi implies there's science in the game. Not so. Yesterday, when talking to Clint, he called it Space Pulp. That's the best way to put it.

If you find the setting goofy, don't feel like you have to use it. I do highly recommend the season generator. And you have everything you need in there to make your own sci-fi species. I think many of the species would be fine with your sensibilities if you just change their names and backgrounds. Heck, the plot point itself could be tweaked to fit in with a darker tone.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Snate56
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to find the figure first, then make the species!

SteveN
Ashavan
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, looking through the Plot Point writeup, I'm thinking that all it would take is a few cosmetic changes to make it a very good Star Wars campaign if one were so inclined. (Make the aliens a little less hokey, for instance, although not necessarily by too much--after all, this is Star Wars, not hard sci fi.) Set it in some uncharted era before or after the movies during which the galaxy was dominated by a female Sith Lord called Darth Anathraxa, and there ya go.
kakupacal
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not looking to make it darker or grittier or even less campy but even in the flavor of 30's pulp sci-fi, a giant bubble of breathable space is just thematically "icky" to me... it's just weird for the sake of weird. I can't come up with a single "plus" in having breathable space other than that you can let a character roll down the windows of his spaceship and look to see if he missed his space-exit.
TheLoremaster
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kakupacal wrote:
I can't come up with a single "plus" in having breathable space other than that you can let a character roll down the windows of his spaceship and look to see if he missed his space-exit.

I can: you don't have to write rules for explosive decompression. Very Happy

Myself, I love the idea of seeing Birdmen swooping down from near-orbit to strike a power raid against one of Anathraxa's ammo dumps, but that's just me.
Diskhotep
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having breathable space also allows for Flash Gordon-esque battles between fragments on Rocket Sleds, and dramatic boarding actions. It solves the "I just shoot a hole in his spacesuit" problems I've encountered in hard scifi games. Besides, the realm of Slipstream is by its very nature not obliged to follow hard and fast rules of physics. I like to picture it as a solar-system sized atmosphere bubble held in place by the interaction of the black hole and whatever lies at the center of Graveyard.

Tyson

--- Emo Phillips
dpetroc
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running it as written and my players love the setting so far. I had them watch the Flash Gordon movie from the 80's and it got them jazzed for the game and didn't make the 'fragments' or semi-breathable air in space seem unreasonable.
burningcrow
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I'll run it as written ... but as this is a pretty obvious thing I'll introduce an obscure knightly order that uses laserswords as their signature weapons ... Embarassed ... it's just too tempting ...

We'll see if my players will take the bait ... Wink
Ogma
Heroic

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't even need to back to the 30s serials... Just watch the awesomely campy movie version of "Flash Gordon" (from 1980) to see LOADS of Slipstream-ish elements in play... Even down to "breathable space", etc.

The group I plan to run 'Slipstream' for is made up of players who adore that movie as much as I, so that's the feeling we're going for with our imminent campaign (I'll be playing the Queen soundtrack during our sessions, as well...)
skylion
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've already decided to mix it up. The setting rules are going to remain the same; only I'm adding the Reckoning from Deadlands. Other than just saying that, I haven't gone to far in depth. I've only written a spoilerific thesis statement elsewhere in the forum, and I'll let on for one other idea here.

Basically, it's a disease that once infected, a body become attracted too the Graviton Wave. It slowly kills the host body, until finally, ZIP, it jumps dead off the Fragment it happens to be on, or starts to float on whatever ceiling happens to be convent.

But that's OK, they head towards the Graveyard anyway. They might even come back.

I'm also developing ideas about how to incorporate the Blessed, even so far as too make them Templars in all but name. Psionics is out. Weird Science stays. And Huckstering is all the rage.
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for breathable air, why not give a reason like an incredibly ancient and abandoned technology of Dyson Sphere proportions? Some precursor beings built this place and as the black holes absorb molocules from outside, an energy field makes a breathable atmosphere out of them.

I haven't seen the book yet, so said explanations may have to be modified, but I was thinking of Mt. Everest thin atmospere between the fragments with thicker condensations nearer the fragments.
This way a punctured vac suit or ship can cause a level of fatigue if I wish.

SteveN
ron blessing
Heroic

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it's all the atmosphere that's been pulled into the pocket universe over the years. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snate56 wrote:
I haven't seen the book yet, so said explanations may have to be modified, but I was thinking of Mt. Everest thin atmospere between the fragments with thicker condensations nearer the fragments.

Actually, that's pretty much the way it is in the book.

See, the reason for air existing between fragments is...

Ron Blessing wrote:
Maybe it's all the atmosphere that's been pulled into the pocket universe over the years. Very Happy

Dangit! Beaten by a Blessing! Wink

Or something like that; the atmosphere comes from the Black Hole for some reason.

www.peginc.com
ron blessing
Heroic

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clint wrote:
Snate56 wrote:

Actually, that's pretty much the way it is in the book.

See, the reason for air existing between fragments is...

Ron Blessing wrote:

Dangit! Beaten by a Blessing! Wink

Or something like that; the atmosphere comes from the Black Hole for some reason.

Must be Tuesday... Cool
Chris Tavares
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you need a "scientific" justification of air in the region, go read Larry Niven's "The Integral Trees" or "The Smoke Ring." It worked for him, it'll work for Slipstream.
RPTroll
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope to run a slightly modified intro to it where the characters are actually sucked into the pocket universe and have to come to grips with this strange new world... er pocket universe.
Framework Support Forum
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Official Settings & Companions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: