Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Extras with WC Edges and other WC 'abilities'

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wendigo1870
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:30 pm    Post subject: Extras with WC Edges and other WC 'abilities' Reply with quote

I've asked this in the official rules Forum as well, but maybe you guys can give me your own versions of how you did this, and if you've found other such conflicting rules with some creatures.

I've noticed that some of the Extras in official settings have Edges they can't use (game-technically).
2 Examples I remember right now:
Rippers => Hydes have the Hard as Nails Edge to ignore 1 level of wound penalties, but they're extras so they go down on their first 'wound', (regardless of actually being able to ignore the effects of the wound).
Low Life => Wankers have Regeneration (fast), and so roll for Natural Healing every round. But, again, they're normally actually down and out of the fight as soon as they can start to regenerate their 'wound'.

Please, give me your ideas #1icon_bow !
Snate56
Legendary

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless those are actual typos, I would just put the Hydes down on the second wound, and as for Wankers, I would let them attempt to heal once first, and if they don't, down they go.

It's kinda like Henchmen, who get three wounds and no Wild die; it just adds variety and spice to the game!

SteveN
luisto
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snate56 wrote:
It's kinda like Henchmen, who get three wounds and no Wild die; it just adds variety and spice to the game!

Actually, in Pirates of the Spanish Main a Henchman is defined as an Extra with a Wild Die. I saw the "three-wound" definition of Henchman in the Daring Tales of Adventure #1 series (by the way: Wiggy, why the change? Did you change your mind on what constitutes a Henchman? Or are the two definitions for different purposes?).

As to Wankers and Hydes, I totally agree with SteveN. It makes Extras a bit more interesting!

Luis
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:03 am    Post subject: Re: Extras with WC Edges and other WC 'abilities' Reply with quote

Wendigo1870 wrote:
Rippers => Hydes have the Hard as Nails Edge to ignore 1 level of wound penalties, but they're extras so they go down on their first 'wound', (regardless of actually being able to ignore the effects of the wound).

The question on Hydes was answered here...

http://www.peginc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=120874&highlight=hydes#120874

Wendigo1870 wrote:
Low Life => Wankers have Regeneration (fast), and so roll for Natural Healing every round. But, again, they're normally actually down and out of the fight as soon as they can start to regenerate their 'wound'.

I don't have the book with me to look at the specific creature, but why would Regeneration stop working when a character is Incapacitated just because it is an Extra? As the ability says in the core rulebook, it works "...even after it has be 'killed.'"

www.peginc.com
Wiggy
Legendary

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisto wrote:

Actually, in Pirates of the Spanish Main a Henchman is defined as an Extra with a Wild Die. I saw the "three-wound" definition of Henchman in the Daring Tales of Adventure #1 series (by the way: Wiggy, why the change? Did you change your mind on what constitutes a Henchman? Or are the two definitions for different purposes?).

For pulp, that allows for minor villains to last a little longer, and thus make better use of any Leadership Edges. A Henchman has the resilience of a Wild Card, yet without the Wild Die it's not as skilled. Plus, it allows them to use Wild Card Edges like Nerves of Steel for added stamina.
Wendigo1870
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Extras with WC Edges and other WC 'abilities' Reply with quote

Clint wrote:
Wendigo1870 wrote:

The question on Hydes was answered here...

http://www.peginc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=120874&highlight=hydes#120874
They should be Wild Cards? I don't really think so, because
Quote:
Dr. Jekyll/Mr.Hyde's Stats are described as those of a regular Hyde, but count him as a Wild Card. (So this implies the Hydes were meant to be Extras, with Jekyll (the "Über"-Hyde) as WC.)
But the offered solution of changing Hard as Nails to Hardy would work fine too, so no problem.

Clint wrote:
Wendigo1870 wrote:

I don't have the book with me to look at the specific creature, but why would Regeneration stop working when a character is Incapacitated just because it is an Extra? As the ability says in the core rulebook, it works "...even after it has be 'killed.'"
Allright. So it can take a while to actually go down, by failing a Vigor roll after he's been killed? That will do.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: