Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

It's good to be back!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brawler
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:25 pm    Post subject: It's good to be back! Reply with quote

I've been a Savage Worlds enthusiast for a very long time. It's been my game of choice for years. I haven't always gotten the opportunity to run it, but when I have I've always thoroughly enjoyed it. Well I have to admit that I was recently tempted away by a shiny new fantasy rpg. And I'll admit, it was a blast at first. I'm the DM and the flashy new mechanics reeled me and my gaming group in. It wasn't long before all it's luster was lost. Overcomplicated tactical combat, a tedious hit point system and overpowered character abilities made running the game no fun at all. The players got bogged down in all of the minutia and unnecessary crunchiness that, frankly, wasn't really adding anything at all.
Well after 6 weeks of personal torture I FINALLY got my group to switch to Savage Worlds! They're LOVING IT! They were amazed at how Fast! Furious! and FUN! the rules were. After one of the players had his paladin bum rush a pair of goblins knocking them to the ground and then finishing them off the next round, he looked up at me and said "I love this game!" I knew I had them hooked! Now there's no turning back!
After I finish this campaign, one of the players was planning to run a game in another system. After our session last night he asked me to borrow my Explorer's copy. He's seriously considering running his game using SW!
I've learned my lesson. I'll never look at another hopelessly tedious rpg again! Make mine SAVAGE! It's good to be back!
Adam Baulderstone
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know how you feel. Anytime I run a game with hit points, even if I otherwise love the system, I now find it a tedious chore to handle combat. Fortunately I've always found it as easy as you did to convert players over to Savage Worlds. Welcome back.
longarms
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further to getting rid of hit points, can we get rid of power points? I read one proposal, I came up with one myself based thereon, but there has got to be more.

and yes from on SW fan site member to another SW fan site member, it is a great system Smile
PEGShane
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(blush)
DaRealJudas
Seasoned

Location: Officially Bremen, Germany but mostly my own little world inside my head (soo peaceful & pretty)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PEGShane wrote:
(blush)

No need to blush. It just the truth. An' my momma used to say, there' no shame in the Truth!
Lord Inar
Heroic

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at Shane's avatar!

Exactly *how* does a pasty undead blush anyway?
Best Internet page ever
Wendigo1870
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By injecting fresh blood directly into his cheeks? Smile
ron blessing
Heroic

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My group has just dropped our 4E game, in favor of Solomon Kane. I'm very excited.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Lord Skudley
Heroic

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A group of us Savages just started playing 4e, I kinda like it. It's an improvement over 3.5, but nothing beats 2e... Except Savage Worlds that is.

Anyhoo during the game one of the guys stared at his sheet for a long time then said "What frikkin die size is my 'Healing' skill?"

You can take a gamer out of Savage Worlds, but you cant take the Savage outta the Gamer!
Brawler
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:23 am    Post subject: A fun way to run combat Reply with quote

I had a great game with my group last night. I've got a large group and in the past it's been a bit of a chore trying to keep everyone on track (which is one of the reasons we switched systems to Savage Worlds). Now while SW is helping TONS, things were still dragging as some players were trying to figure out what they wanted to do. So we tried something new. We worked it out so that the players all declared their actions before the cards were dealt out. Any sort of special actions were to be declared at the beginning then resolved after cards were dealt out for initiative. If something happened that changed what the player wanted to do they could change actions as a -2 penalty. That might seems a bit harsh, but it worked out perfectly. It made the combats a lot more focused and intense. We're going to try again next session and then decide whether we're going to make it a house rule. But so far I'm sold!
Wendigo1870
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While my group isn't going totally savage (we've played many diverse game systems, so SW is 'just another system' for most of them, and my over-entousiastic approach backfired in the beginning), apparently SW is the system we're using the most right now. That's because of the uncomplicated rules, cool settings, ease of play (especially for a GM in our group of 9), and the fact most of us have a rulebook (2nd Ed. or SWEX), which wouldn't be the case if SWEX weren't so cheap.

So, while not too enamored with SW, my group does see its benefits. Just like any system has its pro's and cons.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: