Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Away from the West: Questions about the DL setting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: The Weird West
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AgentConradGray
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:04 pm    Post subject: Away from the West: Questions about the DL setting Reply with quote

Just have a few:

1. What is the Confederate stance towards slavery at the beginning of the DL:R setting? I would expect there to be a lot of freemen and escaped slaves in the Weird West, but slavery to still be present in at least the Deep South states Back East.

2. Did any of the effects of the supernatural transformation in the West affect Canada, Mexico, and the rest of the world?

3. Would it be possible to combine the Deadlands universe with a few other steampunk ones? I'm thinking about Castle Falkenstein's New Europa to describe Europe, Space: 1889 eventually for alternatives to ghostrock aeronautics, and touches of The Difference Engine and The Peshawar Lancers tossed in.
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Away from the West: Questions about the DL setting Reply with quote

AgentConradGray wrote:
1. What is the Confederate stance towards slavery at the beginning of the DL:R setting? I would expect there to be a lot of freemen and escaped slaves in the Weird West, but slavery to still be present in at least the Deep South states Back East.

Nope. Slavery was outlawed in the South years earlier in the war; it's the reason they got support from outside countries, enabling them to continue fighting in the war.

AgentConradGray wrote:
2. Did any of the effects of the supernatural transformation in the West affect Canada, Mexico, and the rest of the world?

Yes, but most of that is outside the scope of the setting. There were supplemental books for the Classic system regarding Mexico and Canada.

AgentConradGray wrote:
3. Would it be possible to combine the Deadlands universe with a few other steampunk ones? I'm thinking about Castle Falkenstein's New Europa to describe Europe, Space: 1889 eventually for alternatives to ghostrock aeronautics, and touches of The Difference Engine and The Peshawar Lancers tossed in.

Depends on what the GM is willing to adjust or change; there are metaplot issues for how arcane abilities and creatures work that would most likely have to be taken into account.

www.peginc.com
AgentConradGray
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Away from the West: Questions about the DL setting Reply with quote

Clint wrote:
AgentConradGray wrote:

Yes, but most of that is outside the scope of the setting. There were supplemental books for the Classic system regarding Mexico and Canada.

I can understand Canada being of relative unimportance to Deadlands (though I would still like to know if the Confederation happened, or if the place is as balkanized as the U.S. is), but Mexico could work, isn't it? At least the northern provinces would fit nicely as part of the Weird West, and you can have Benito Juarez (secretly aided by the Agency) rebelling against Santa Anna there.
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Away from the West: Questions about the DL setting Reply with quote

AgentConradGray wrote:
I can understand Canada being of relative unimportance to Deadlands (though I would still like to know if the Confederation happened, or if the place is as balkanized as the U.S. is), but Mexico could work, isn't it? At least the northern provinces would fit nicely as part of the Weird West, and you can have Benito Juarez (secretly aided by the Agency) rebelling against Santa Anna there.

The Agency probably wouldn't aid anyone against Santa Anna; he's threatening the South not the North. Santa Anna does play a role in the setting, and his effect (or potential effect) on the American West is in the book.

But if desiring to play a game set in Mexico, that's not really covered.

www.peginc.com
RJack
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Away from the West: Questions about the DL setting Reply with quote

AgentConradGray wrote:
I can understand Canada being of relative unimportance to Deadlands (though I would still like to know if the Confederation happened, or if the place is as balkanized as the U.S. is)

According to Great Weird North, Canadian confederation has gone through in the Deadlands timeline. In fact, it went better than in real history, with Newfoundland and Prince Edward Island joining right away. Personally, I prefer a more “Balkanized” Canada with an independent Manitoba, British Columbia still being a crown colony, and the HBC still controlling most of the Northwest Territories through a differently worded Deed of Surrender.

Clint wrote:
The Agency probably wouldn't aid anyone against Santa Anna; he's threatening the South not the North.

Indeed. I remember a convention adventure put on by Pinnacle back around when South o’ the Border was coming out, that entailed a posse being hired by the Confederate government to run guns to the Juaristas. Things got out of hand, zombies were involved, and it turned into this whole crazy…thing. I’ve wondered how official that was though (the CSA giving materiel support to the Juaristas part).
AgentConradGray
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think setting up a campaign in northern Mexico wouldn't take too much research; I was just wondering what was already set up (and considered canon) by Pinnacle.

I kind of like the idea that Canada confederated earlier in response to the dangers to their south. It seems like a historically plausible thing to do. But yeah, keeping them balkanized is more interesting.

Anyone have any ideas on which steampunk settings would be good to combine Deadlands with? I still think Castle Falkenstein would be the best, as long as one adjusts their history accordingly with DL (for example, the fae spontaneously manifested after the Great Ghost Dance or something).
Grexxor
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For cannonical input for mexico, the book south o' the border, documents everything going on there. Should be easy to get a story going on there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: The Weird West All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: