Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Using the INC-Table for NPC?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you use the INC table....
Only for PC Wild Cards
23%
 23%  [ 3 ]
For all kinds of Wild Cards
69%
 69%  [ 9 ]
Only for NPC Wild Cards
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I do it completely different (please post)
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 13

DerFinsterling
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:40 am    Post subject: Using the INC-Table for NPC? Reply with quote

On a German RPG/SW forum, there has been some discussion lately about the INC table. I didn't make a poll, but I got the idea that the majority of German GM use the INC table when it comes to their Wild Card NPC.
I myself, don't do that.

Now, I'm not saying that anybody is doing anything wrong - every GM should run the game as he sees fit and in a way that his or her group has fun.

BUT - I was wondering - how do you folks handle that?
Sadric
Heroic

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If a enemy is INC he is most of the time dead. I dont bother with enemy extras, they are dead, I didnt roll if they are only wounded after the combat. But I have mostly played Fantasy or Rippers, in Fantasy I didnt like the idea of the morality questions what to do with the wounded goblins. And Rippers enemy are often undead or demons or such things that are destroyed after they get a wound.

In Rippers I roll for Rippers extras and I roll if they try to interrogate someone of the enemy.
Wendigo1870
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use them for when I intend to make the Enemy Wild Cards recurring enemies. It also builds up some kind of history between them and the players.
("You took out my eye, you b@$$t@rd!" "That's for killing my family - and it's only the beginning, ...")

If my players think they're smart, and actually kill the WC's with a coup de grace, then nothing prevents me to do the same to them when the tables are turned Twisted Evil . So it's their choice!

But when it's not all that important (just 'some' Wild Card) then I don't care what happens to him afterwards, so there's no need to roll or anything.

It becomes important in Rippers: Incapped but not dead WC monsters can be captured alive and taken to the lodge, for harvesting. Probably the Inc. table makes this easier than was meant to, 'cause it would've been harder to actually have a WC KO but not dead before SWEX.
Paul Siegel
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too use the incapacitated table for any wild card, NPCs included. I like the idea that players will sometimes have to decide whether or not to actually kill the enemy. Also, sometimes it leads to pure gold:

At my last fantasy game, the players were negotiating with a hostile tribe of orcs. The orcs had a prisoner the players wanted back, and the players offered human-made weapons in exchange (in our game orcs are pretty primitive, mostly stone and bone weapons). Only thing is, the players weren't too keen on actually giving the weapons over, so they arranged a double-cross. They lured a group of the orcs out with promises of weapons, and then jumped them.

So in the fight I had a bunch of extras, and two wild card leaders, who I decided on the spot were the chieftain's sons. It made sense for no-name lieutenant level NPCs. In the ensuing fight, both wild card orcs went down. One failed the vigor check and bled to death. The other pulled through, but I rolled double ones on his permanent injury -- which is an unmentionables hit. So the remaining son is now sterile.

The players took off, but what an enemy they've created for themselves. They destroyed the chieftain's line in an incredibly humiliating way. A minor encounter has now set us up with a really interesting recurring villain for the PCs, all because of some random rolls on the incapacitation and injury charts.
ragnarok
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I do it completely different", well not completly, but in some settings my Villains have their own INC-Table with small additions if/how they escape death and what scars they bear the next time the PCs oppose them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: