Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HOE The Rest of the Earth
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: Hell on Earth & Lost Colony
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Are there survivor settlements outside the US West?
Yes
25%
 25%  [ 49 ]
Yes
25%
 25%  [ 49 ]
Yes
25%
 25%  [ 49 ]
Yes
25%
 25%  [ 49 ]
No
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
No
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
No
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
No
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 196

Wendigo1870
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha, Mort makes me remember my trip to Ireland!

While I was there, I was imagining how HoE would appear there. The lush Emerald Isle turned into a Putrid Rock. (?)

Bigger cities like Dublin, Limerick, Belfast, ... would've been hit, but there are enough remote small villages which would survive. Then again, it's remoteness would also be it's weakness; not too much high-tech gear like tanks, rocket launchers and power armour lying around.

Monsters are based on Celtic and medieval influences (dragons, Unseelie, giants, ...) . Indeed the entire setting would be more medieval, rather than western. (More like Reign of Fire instead of Mad Max.) People once again take refuge in the countless castles built across Ireland.

And, amongst the survivors, heroes come forth to vanquish the evils spilling from out of the deadlands.
Tale-tellers could be bards.
Doomsayers/(Toxic) shamen could be druds (taking inspiration from the aforementioned 'Asterix'-parallel).
Templars could become Knights,
Librarians become Monks/Scribes
Sykers and Cyborgs stay the way they were.
Mort
Heroic

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wendigo1870 wrote:

Bigger cities like Dublin, Limerick, Belfast, ... would've been hit, but there are enough remote small villages which would survive.

Hmmm. It's debatable whether any of the Irish cities bar Dublin would be big enough to rate a strike.

Take a look at this for example

While we've grown a bit - we're still a tiny country.

I'd say the bigger problem would be backdraft from strikes to England.

Wendigo1870 wrote:

Then again, it's remoteness would also be it's weakness; not too much high-tech gear like tanks, rocket launchers and power armour lying around.

Totally - even small arms are going to be fairly scarce. Especially if Dublin got nuked. While we have plenty of technical knowledge - we lack the metal mines to reboot industry.

Wendigo1870 wrote:

Indeed the entire setting would be more medieval, rather than western. (More like Reign of Fire instead of Mad Max.) People once again take refuge in the countless castles built across Ireland.

Medieval-ish would be cool (& fairly likely in some respects - I can imagine a lot more close combat weaponry rather than tanks). Old castles on the other hand are a little less realistic - Ireland (pretty much) lacks large castle compounds, instead having keeps & towers for the most part.

However, I can easily see fortified towns emerging again.

Wendigo1870 wrote:

And, amongst the survivors, heroes come forth to vanquish the evils spilling from out of the deadlands.
Tale-tellers could be bards.
Doomsayers/(Toxic) shamen could be druds (taking inspiration from the aforementioned 'Asterix'-parallel).

Possibly in the same way that the Templars are refounded by a masonic nut. Straight wouldn't play too well as those traditions died out completely thanks to the plantations. Druidic Radpriests could well be cool though.

Wendigo1870 wrote:

Librarians become Monks/Scribes

This one I really like.

It would make an interesting setting to treat Britain & Ireland as a single setting location - they're close enough that sea travel is realistically possible (about 20km apart at the closest point) if difficult.

It would make for an interesting adventure to have someone try to take one of the smaller quicker ferries across to england to search out military equipment.

Last edited by Mort on Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:06 am; edited 3 times in total
Mort
Heroic

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wendigo1870 wrote:

Monsters are based on Celtic and medieval influences (dragons, Unseelie, giants, ...)

Somewhat, however - those ones aren't particularly good examples. They're a little too shiny and clean for a DL setting.

There's some interesting and creepy peasant folk tales floating around if you can find them - things like the bog dead, the merrow or deals with the devil.
Wendigo1870
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mort wrote:
Wendigo1870 wrote:

Monsters are based on Celtic and medieval influences (dragons, Unseelie, giants, ...)

Somewhat, however - those ones aren't particularly good examples. They're a little too shiny and clean for a DL setting.

There's some interesting and creepy peasant folk tales floating around if you can find them - things like the bog dead, the merrow or deals with the devil.

Yeah, I knew they were too shiny; but I couldn't come up with other creepier stuff right now. Embarassed
Mort
Heroic

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wendigo1870 wrote:

Yeah, I knew they were too shiny; but I couldn't come up with other creepier stuff right now. Embarassed

Ah sure, it'll come together
steelbrok
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Undead Radiation Wyrms
DocS
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the one hand, I can kinda see HoE over the rest of the world, one idea my brother and I were playing with was The Ghost-stormed city of London. Gave it one inhabitant, just one, one who hunts down and kills any other living thing that enters the city,

The Ghost of Jack The Ripper.

On the other hand, one of the great loves in HoE is the greaat love of America. God bless it, HoE is about the very denizens of perdition descending upon this country of ours, and us not havin it! Our demeanor is just too ornery to let somethin like that happen.

Even if it's not realistic, imagine the following in HoE.

The rampaging of The Horsemen was done too harshly. Too many horrors were released, the Evils went out of control in their freedom from imprisonment. Europe is dead, Africa is dead, Asia is dead, even South America is dead. However the beings need fear to survive, so an entire planet's worth of supernatural terror is descending upon the last survivors in The American West.....

And you know, that suits the survivors just fine. Saves them a boat-trip.

The power of all The Dukes of Hell shall not prevail against the power of The Duke.
Wendigo1870
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DocS wrote:
On the other hand, one of the great loves in HoE is the greaat love of America. God bless it
(So overused, ... Bless the whole world for a change Cool )
DocS wrote:
, HoE is about the very denizens of perdition descending upon this country of ours, and us not havin it!
Not my country, nor that of a lot of other players. Still, I'm having fun. Just don't forget 'your country' is part of a big world. Which, by the way, is what this topic's all about.
DocS wrote:
Our demeanor is just too ornery to let somethin like that happen.
Indeed, it's only your country that breeds tough hard-a$$es Sigh and everyone else is puny. 'Till it would one day actually happen; then you're standing in line fining law-suits against the gv'ment for not warning you about how dangerous exploding bombs are, instead of doing actual survival thingies. Laughing
Tenebrus
Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about the Necro, but I just had to toss this out there.

On the trains - how awesome would something akin to Stephen King's Wasteland Novel be? The Gunslinger novels are pretty much awesome setting wise, and wasteland in particular strikes me as a fun story arc.

Moreover, the story itself would be a great way to get your players into the East, and then conveniently leave them stranded there Twisted Evil

Or through the chunnel into London, Or move them from western russia into central Europe, etc.
UrielFallen
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tenebrus wrote:
Sorry about the Necro, but I just had to toss this out there.

On the trains - how awesome would something akin to Stephen King's Wasteland Novel be? The Gunslinger novels are pretty much awesome setting wise, and wasteland in particular strikes me as a fun story arc.

Moreover, the story itself would be a great way to get your players into the East, and then conveniently leave them stranded there Twisted Evil

Or through the chunnel into London, Or move them from western russia into central Europe, etc.

There was actually someone (Wrathamon, I think) who had a thread dealing with AP (actual play) in a HOE campaign that had significant ties to the Dark Tower cosmology. I went crazy after the thread disappeared, because I never thought to actually save the content. There was even a supernaturally-fueled train that traveled across the Wasted West.

If anyone actually did, or there is someway of recovering it, I would really like to see it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: Hell on Earth & Lost Colony All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: