Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Innocent Bystander, The Wild Die, and Magic...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Official Answers on How the Core Rules Work
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lysander
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 5:54 pm    Post subject: Innocent Bystander, The Wild Die, and Magic... Reply with quote

Now I'm scratching my head a bit on your last answer...

Well, as written, it's just Shooting and Throwing, but if the GM says so, it could. Really, it wouldn't come up too often. A 1 on the skill die and a failure on the Wild Die would mean the spell didn't activate, so missing wouldn't be an issue. It would take a 1 on the Trait die and a successful casting with a miss due to attack roll modifiers for it to come up.

Might not be enough of an occurence to make it worthwhile.

Maybe we're not using magic right. Let me set up an example and you set me straight where I have gone astray:

Arcane Background: Arcane. Smarts d10, Spellcasting d12, Bolt Spell, Hapless Orc adjacent to and fighting with Buddy Fighter. I am 4 squares/inches away on the board.

In order to hit Hapless Orc with a bolt spell, I have been making a single d12 Spellcasting roll with a TN of 4 to hit (for ranged attacks)....

If I get a 1 on the Spellcasting roll, it has been invoking the innocent bystander rule because it is a ranged attack as ruled by my gracious GM (which I agree with). If the wild die come up 3 or less, I have hit Buddy Fighter and not Hapless Orc.

I can spend a bennie to reroll the Spellcast Roll in hopes of getting a better result than 1, with the linked wild die.

Let the lesson begin...
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Innocent Bystander, The Wild Die, and Magic... Reply with quote

Lysander wrote:
Arcane Background: Arcane. Smarts d10, Spellcasting d12, Bolt Spell, Hapless Orc adjacent to and fighting with Buddy Fighter. I am 4 squares/inches away on the board.

In order to hit Hapless Orc with a bolt spell, I have been making a single d12 Spellcasting roll with a TN of 4 to hit (for ranged attacks)....

If I get a 1 on the Spellcasting roll, it has been invoking the innocent bystander rule because it is a ranged attack as ruled by my gracious GM (which I agree with). If the wild die come up 3 or less, I have hit Buddy Fighter and not Hapless Orc.

Sorry, but that's only considering hitting the target, and not activating the power itself, which should be the first consideration.

Page 81 of SWEX under Using Powers <italics mine>...

"If the roll is failed, there's no effect but the Power Points are lost."

So when the Spellcasting roll is failed, the power doesn't even work, so the Innocent Bystander rule doesn't come in because no bolt is fired in the first place.

As I noted in my earlier post, the only way it could happen would be if the casting was successful due to the Wild Die, but the attack missed specifically due to attack only modifiers.

For instance, if in the example above, the character had been 14" away instead of 4" and suffering a -2 Range penalty. He rolls a 1 on the Spellcasting die and a 5 on the Wild Die. The power activates because the Wild Die is 4 or better, but with the -2 penalty for range, the attack has a final result of 3 and misses.

So since the power did activate and there is a 1 on the Trait die and a miss on the Wild Die, the GM could apply Innocent Bystander then.

Hope that clears things up.

Just remember, for powers that require an attack roll, the Arcane Skill roll is used for that, but still also used for the "casting" result as normal.

Lysander wrote:
I can spend a bennie to reroll the Spellcast Roll in hopes of getting a better result than 1, with the linked wild die.

Right, you can spend a Benny to reroll and hope for a better roll, but the chance does always exist that the roll will be the same (and possibly worse unless a critical failure).

www.peginc.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Official Answers on How the Core Rules Work All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: