Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to do Cyberware?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What's the best way to do cyberware in Savage Worlds?
Arcane Background
11%
 11%  [ 2 ]
Edges
11%
 11%  [ 2 ]
Gear
41%
 41%  [ 7 ]
A combination of the three
35%
 35%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 17

HawaiianBrian
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:26 am    Post subject: How to do Cyberware? Reply with quote

I tried to search the boards for this but came up dry. So let me see if I can get some ideas from all of you...

Next week the characters will be going to a "cyberpunk" reality set in Japan. It's matrix fashion, cybernetics, doublecrosses, and Yakuza, in a nutshell. I'm torn on how to work the cybertech and I need to finalize it pretty quickly so I can write the adventure notes and make some baddies.

My question is, How to best do cybertech? I have the Sci-Fi Gear book and "Savaged Cybertek," both of which have three options:

1. Arcane Background, then choose your cyberware as Weird Science gadgets. Not bad, but then you're dealing with power points, which don't seem to make much sense in the context (cyberware running out after a couple rounds of use?)
2. Edges. Better, but that means you have to wait until you've gained a few experience points before you can get the surgery?
3. Gear. Probably the most logical option, especially for someone who remembers playing the old Cyberpunk RPG, but the drawback to this method is that it forces us to keep track of how much money characters have, which is not that interesting to me.

Drawbacks all around. I'm stymied. For those of you who have used cyberware in your SW games, which method (or combination thereof) did you choose?

Also, anyone have a much longer, more comprehensive list of cyberware? Balanced, preferably?
DerFinsterling
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my Savage Cyberpunk game I used the cyberware-as-gear approach.
I've made a list, pretty basic, where an item gives you the option of an edge-like or monstrous-like ability (ie, infrared vision for cybereyes), but they all cost money. And you lose humanity. The more you lose, the more distant you become, suffer charisma penalties and risk going all cyber-psychotic.

Pretty much a straightforward conversion of CP 2020.
steelbrok
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I went for combination, in my Traveller conversion I make it acquisition via edges during Career (an add on to character generation) but once play starts its straight gear purchase.

Last edited by steelbrok on Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:46 am; edited 1 time in total
jblittlefield
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: How to do Cyberware? Reply with quote

HawaiianBrian wrote:
<snip> Also, anyone have a much longer, more comprehensive list of cyberware? Balanced, preferably?

http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=16709&it=1
HawaiianBrian
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DerFinsterling wrote:
And you lose humanity. The more you lose, the more distant you become, suffer charisma penalties and risk going all cyber-psychotic.

Which reminds me...

How have people done loss of humanity? I'd like something that doesn't require a new attribute/statistic/mechanic. None of the stuff I read seems to do it for me, though if nothing better is suggested, I'll probably go with the option in the Sci-Fi Gear book.
DerFinsterling
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the same mechanic as in CP 2020: You take Spirit, multiply it by 10 and that's your humanity. That way, I could use the cyberware-list from the CP2020 book without much hassle. A cyberarm causes the loss of 2d6 points of humanity in 2020 and in my conversion doc.

Yes, it's one more thing to keep track of, but it allows for quick additions I hadn't thought of before.

If you don't like that, the simplest thing seems to be: "You can install a number of cybersystems equal to your Spirit die."

A cybersystem would be one eye, one arm, stuff like that.
Sitting Duck
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HawaiianBrian wrote:
How have people done loss of humanity? I'd like something that doesn't require a new attribute/statistic/mechanic. None of the stuff I read seems to do it for me, though if nothing better is suggested, I'll probably go with the option in the Sci-Fi Gear book.

This probably isn't what you're looking for, but here it is anyway. In a SF/horror home brew I've worked on, each piece of cyberware (in this case I go for the gear option) has a Cyberload rating. When the Cyberload reaches one-half of the character's Spirit, he picks up a minor Delusional Hindrance. When it reaches three-quarters, it's gets upgraded to major.
dap6000
Heroic

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my totally un-playtested method would be to allow cyberware to be purchased like gear, but grant benefits modeled on edges and powers. i'd toss in some sort of draw back probably based on reason from rippers. so that's sorta like a combination of 2 of your 3 options in the poll.
SlasherEpoch
Legendary

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tossed ideas around with a friend of mine, and we arrived at a hellish combination.

Some cyberware functions like powers: The built in plasma pistol, for instance, works like Bolt and needs to recharge every so often.

Some stuff required an investment of time, like Edges: We figured you can't just give a person's nervous system a complete overhaul and not spend time in physical therapy.

All of the cyberware cost money.

Anyway, that's how we handled it. We also had a "tech tree" approach to things (you couldn't get skeletal reinforcement without an exoskeleton, for instance).

Evil Wig Enterprises Minion #15 - "The
Machete"
Fastidious Monk
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steelbrok wrote:
OK, I went for combination, in my Traveller conversion I make it acquisition via edges during Career (an add on to character generation) but once play starts its straight gear purchase.

How did that work out?

I am just beginning to work on a SciFi setting and bought all the SciFi Gear Toolkits.

I was thinking of using the AB: Cyberware; where the players buy implants, but they work like superpowers, since a starting player would not likely have the cash to buy it as gear. But then I thought of how to handle it later if a player got his arm crippled, or something, and wanted a cyber implant.

It doesn't seem right to shoot off an arm and then make the player burn an edge he wasn't planning on getting. I thought of the way you describe: Edge at character creation and then as gear later. Did it play out OK?

Thanks

"If a man builds a machine and that machine conspires with another machine built by another man, are those two men conspiring?" - The Accountant
nonefornic
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know if this clears the water or muddies it, but I've got a friend who, for his cyberpunk games, divides cyberware up into three categories; common commercially avalible (gear), uncommon commercially avalible (edge), Miltitary/Government only (arcane background).
marshal kt
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rippers.

do the exact same thing that rippers does. it's basiccly the same idea, but living.. so to speak as opposed to metal.

since rippers is a product available for sale, i don't want to go into detail, but in rippers, you can basiclly rip a monsters part out, say a vampires teeth, implant them into yourself and you you have it's bite.

thats an over-simplified example, but you get the idea.

hence the name, rippers. just change the setting, and you have 2 perfectly good games for the price of 1. [rippers and cyber-punk].

#1icon_bow
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: