Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sundered Skies + Runepunk?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should Scatterpoint be floating in The Void?
Awesome idea. Go for it!
60%
 60%  [ 6 ]
Dude, they're seperate for a reason.
40%
 40%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 10

MadTinkerer
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:16 pm    Post subject: Sundered Skies + Runepunk? Reply with quote

Since this involves both a licensed setting and a Pinnacle setting book, I'm posting it here instead of the other two forums.

After reading Runepunk, it occurs to me that it does share a few similarities with Sundered Skies: it's a fantasy world that has been through an apocalypse, and so on. Let's say the Runestorms are relatively "localized" to Scatterpoint, and beyond the boundaries of the map of scatterpoint is the rest of the Sundered Skies. The Glow usually doesn't penetrate the Runestorms so Scatterpoint denizens don't have to worry about Glowmadness (but, of course, the Runestorms are almost as bad). The Runestorms also prevent a lot of flying ships getting to Scatterpoint, but there are ways to get around them.

Beyond this, I'd need more info on SS, but I think I've got the start of a nice crossover campaign. any thoughts?

Check out Mad Tinkerer Dot Org!
Seeker of Truth
Heroic

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never thought much about it, but its definitely an idea. Perhaps ScatterPoint's a distant island, away from most of the others, and was brought to the Skies by the Tempest. That would explain why none of the technology and magic of RunePunk exists in the Skies. Also, Umbriel could in reality be one of the gods of the Skies, by another name, hence the reason only her priests gained power after the Tempest. Zurvan's Veil is the edge of the island, and is a very good reason, though not very exciting one, as to why those who go beyond it are never seen from again; they just fall off.

I could definitely see a short crossover game working as a pleasant interlude. Not sure if it would work very well as a long-term thing though.
Wiggy
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Sundered Skies + Runepunk? Reply with quote

MadTinkerer wrote:
After reading Runepunk, it occurs to me that it does share a few similarities with Sundered Skies: it's a fantasy world that has been through an apocalypse, and so on.

A few thoughts from someone who has seen both books.

Be interesting to see how you explain away the difference in religion, magic systems, races, general mythos, technology, etc. Smile You might just as well say 50F has the same similarities---apocalypse, fantasy, and so on.

I'm not going to suggest it couldn't work, but I respectfully suggest waiting until you read Skies before progressing this, MT. Skies has a very interesting background.

Wiggy
MadTinkerer
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Sundered Skies + Runepunk? Reply with quote

Wiggy wrote:
MadTinkerer wrote:
After reading Runepunk, it occurs to me that it does share a few similarities with Sundered Skies: it's a fantasy world that has been through an apocalypse, and so on.

A few thoughts from someone who has seen both books.

Be interesting to see how you explain away the difference in religion, magic systems, races, general mythos, technology, etc. Smile You might just as well say 50F has the same similarities---apocalypse, fantasy, and so on.

Yeah, but 50F has this great big ocean that ships float on. In Sundered Skies there's just the Void. It could simply be that Sundered Skies takes place above 50F, but then everyone in SS would just and to move to Caribdus. Scatterpoint doesn't have that problem because the Runestorms pose about as much of a problem as The Glow.

The races difference is no problem: Runepunk has a built-in explanation for including any character from any setting anyway. Tech-wise, the runestorms kept the folks of Scatterpoint independent for x years and it's only recently that they've been able to get beyond Scatterpoint. Same for Runepunk magic. mythos-wise I don't know enough yet. It could be explained that Scatterpoint wasn't part of the Sundered Skies world originally but ended up there through the same event that created the runestorms.

Wiggy wrote:
I'm not going to suggest it couldn't work, but I respectfully suggest waiting until you read Skies before progressing this, MT. Skies has a very interesting background.

Well I'm not necessarily going to run them this way, I'm just brainstorming. "Too many settings, too little time... hey wait: what if I put two of them together?"

Check out Mad Tinkerer Dot Org!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: